Pikeville-Somerset predictions

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I know that Pikeville is the underdog this year and will have to play a great game to win at Somerset. Somerset has a great program and it is never easy to win at the Briar Patch. For Pikeville to have a chance they have to play a great game defensively, which I know they are capable of doing. They have been playing great defense the past 7 quarters not allowing a single point against Paintsville(after the 1st Quarter) and Harlan but Somerset is better than those 2 teams. The Hazard game throws up some red flags and if Pikeville plays even close to how they played at Hazard then this game is over at halftime. I think the deciding factor is the Pikeville defense vs. the Somerset offense...whoever wins that matchup I think wins the game. Good luck to the Jumpers and if you guys win this week then I hope you guys go all the way.

I agree with all of this and on the other hand, I believe the Somerset defense will be a factor, if not a bigger factor than the Pikeville defense. A lot of schemes don't account for the quarterback, and Pikeville uses their quarterbacks to make a lot of big plays. Also, Pikeville likes to run at opponents at every hole, from every formation, and will try to do it against anyone, on any given night. This Somerset defense is much improved and has gotten better as the year has gone on, with the exception of Lynn Camp, and they will have to continue that trend. They should be well tested against backs of this caliber, but their mental focus will be huge. If Somerset can limit Pikeville's big plays, and close the ratio of offense to defensive plays for Pikeville, then they will win. If Pikeville keeps the ball and time plays a factor, the Jumpers will be in trouble.

I agree with all of this and on the other hand, I believe the Somerset defense will be a factor, if not a bigger factor than the Pikeville defense. A lot of schemes don't account for the quarterback, and Pikeville uses their quarterbacks to make a lot of big plays. Also, Pikeville likes to run at opponents at every hole, from every formation, and will try to do it against anyone, on any given night. This Somerset defense is much improved and has gotten better as the year has gone on, with the exception of Lynn Camp, and they will have to continue that trend. They should be well tested against backs of this caliber, but their mental focus will be huge. If Somerset can limit Pikeville's big plays, and close the ratio of offense to defensive plays for Pikeville, then they will win. If Pikeville keeps the ball and time plays a factor, the Jumpers will be in trouble.

Somerset's defense has been good against bad teams, and bad against good teams.

Another bashing remark from the wonderful Legaer28. We'll see Friday. I guess that means if you don't put up a lot of points then Pikeville is a "bad" team. Good luck to both teams and I hope Pikeville's kids have more respect and sportsmanship that Legaer28. :thumb:

Another bashing remark from the wonderful Legaer28. We'll see Friday. I guess that means if you don't put up a lot of points then Pikeville is a "bad" team. Good luck to both teams and I hope Pikeville's kids have more respect and sportsmanship that Legaer28. :thumb:

What are you talking about??? Leave the personal attacks out. I don't think Somerset is as good as Somerset's fans do. How is that bad sportsmanship? :creepy: IMO Somerset has played 2 good teams, Danville and Lynn Camp, who both lit them up. Don't take my opinion personally for gosh sakes, it's just a football game.

What are you talking about??? Leave the personal attacks out. I don't think Somerset is as good as Somerset's fans do. How is that bad sportsmanship? :creepy: IMO Somerset has played 2 good teams, Danville and Lynn Camp, who both lit them up. Don't take my opinion personally for gosh sakes, it's just a football game.

Considering the Points Against for both teams is 185-146, a difference of 39 with Pikeville being the lesser, and the fact that Somerset's opponent's records are 56-56 and Pikeville's are 59-48, although both in favor of Pikeville's defense vs. Somerset's, the records are very comparable. Warren East is a 3A Bowling Green team that Somerset annialated, and finished 7-4. We held them to 7 points. Pikeville held Paintsville to 14. Pikeville got lit up by NCC, Belfry, and Hazard, just like Somerset gave up points to LC and Danville. The teams aren't that different statistically, and the same could be said about Pikeville.

Considering the Points Against for both teams is 185-146, a difference of 39 with Pikeville being the lesser, and the fact that Somerset's opponent's records are 56-56 and Pikeville's are 59-48, although both in favor of Pikeville's defense vs. Somerset's, the records are very comparable. Warren East is a 3A Bowling Green team that Somerset annialated, and finished 7-4. We held them to 7 points. Pikeville held Paintsville to 14. Pikeville got lit up by NCC, Belfry, and Hazard, just like Somerset gave up points to LC and Danville. The teams aren't that different statistically, and the same could be said about Pikeville.

Good breakdown.... :thumb:

On another note, Pikeville's three losses have all been to teams that I think Danville would beat. Ironically enough, the average points scored by those teams that Pikeville lost to is 42. Somerset gave up 42 to Danville. Somerset is giving up 260 ypg, while Pikeville gives up 208. Somerset has also faced three backs in the top 15 in state rushing ypg, and 3 passers in the state top 15. Let's talk about Pikeville's suspect offense that only scored 15 points per game in those losses, or that they average 32 ppg. Somerset, in its lone loss vs. the Class A runner-up, scored 26 points, and is averaging 42 ppg. Somerset is averaging 382 ypg, while Pikeville averages 280. Somerset and Pikeville's defenses are arguably equal, and Somerset's offense against a common opponent would easily out-score and out-gain Pikeville's.

On another note, Pikeville's three losses have all been to teams that I think Danville would beat. Ironically enough, the average points scored by those teams that Pikeville lost to is 42. Somerset gave up 42 to Danville. Somerset is giving up 260 ypg, while Pikeville gives up 208. Somerset has also faced three backs in the top 15 in state rushing ypg, and 3 passers in the state top 15. Let's talk about Pikeville's suspect offense that only scored 15 points per game in those losses, or that they average 32 ppg. Somerset, in its lone loss vs. the Class A runner-up, scored 26 points, and is averaging 42 ppg. Somerset is averaging 382 ypg, while Pikeville averages 280. Somerset and Pikeville's defenses are arguably equal, and Somerset's offense against a common opponent would easily out-score and out-gain Pikeville's.

Guy's we can break them down all we want but the game is played on Friday. I don't really care who wins this game other than if Pikeville wins, Paintsville could get the Finals at home if they survive this week. Good luck both teams and may the best team win. IMO there will a lot of crow to eat either way this one turns out.

Guy's we can break them down all we want but the game is played on Friday. I don't really care who wins this game other than if Pikeville wins, Paintsville could get the Finals at home if they survive this week. Good luck both teams and may the best team win. IMO there will a lot of crow to eat either way this one turns out.

No crow, if Pikeville loses I'll just say they were the better team and would win a rematch by 21 like Paintsville fans did after Pikeville beat them. :banana: :p

This is true, but I just prefer to back up my statements with evidence. Why would you do that legaer?