Greshem a Bengal

First of all why does Bratkowski take all the blame? He has an inept head coach. The owner is worse. He was asked to change his entire scheme this year and ground and pound it and they did and won their division. Carson is a shell of what he was before the injury. He misses a ton of throws. They haven't had a weapon at TE in a long time. I'm not sure this pick will be a weapon. I am sure they needed one at that spot. They signed two free agent WR's. I'm glad they didn't draft one this early. If Bratkowski can use the TE which I'm sure he'll find a way and Carson can hit him when he's open this is a really good pick. My guess is he's here longer than Bratkowski so maybe the new OC will use him more if people don't like what Brat does next year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst 1st round pick the Bengals have made this decade....Oh well, I can finally move on to being strictly a New England fan now. The Bengals are a complete joke.

:idunno:You are joking right , and you are a Bengals fan and you can say they didn't need a TE who is a threat . I bet Palmer is all smiles . I for one like this pick :dancingpaand think he will be a good one . I believe the announcers said when he was drafted that he would or could be a future All-Pro. So go ahead and be a NE fan and just maybe the Bengals can break your heart twice in about 5 months :lol:, By having a joke first round pick in your opinion and then just maybe beating your believed Pats in week 1 :ohbrother:,(would that be bad for you ) ; just kidding but I would Love to knock off the Pats :thumb:.

I won't lie, I thought it was a bad pick initially and I had to look up information on the kid. Consensus is, had he come out after his Junior year, he could have been a borderline top 10 pick. He gets injured before his Senior year and then gets projected as late 1st, early 2nd.

I'm a Chicago fan, but living in the area, I do follow Cincinnati. It's LONG overdue that they have a TE that actually be a consistent threat on offense.

As for the Bengals 1st Round Draft history, here are their 1st round picks since 1990.

James Francis

Alfred Williams

David Klingler

John Copeland

Dan Wilkinson

Ki-Jana Carter

Willie Anderson

Reinard Wilson

Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons

Akili Smith

Peter Warrick

Justin Smith

Levi Jones

Carson Palmer

Chris Perry

David Pollack

Jonathon Joseph

Leon Hall

Keith Rivers

Andre Smith

I won't pretend like I know the Bengals team that well, but I LOVE this pick and even if he turns out to be a bust, having this kinda weapon on offense to go with an already solid running game can only help.

Terrible pick...

Good insight. Care to share what makes this such a terrible pick? All of the talking heads seem to love it.

Worst 1st round pick the Bengals have made this decade....Oh well, I can finally move on to being strictly a New England fan now. The Bengals are a complete joke.

Not even close. Chris Perry is worse, and the Bengals passed up Stephen Jackson to get him.

I like Gresham & am willing to give him a shot.

No, he was 1999 if I remember correctly, and even so, this is a worse pick. Akili was a QB, that was the team's biggest weakness then. Greshem will play, be average, not catch any balls, and make lots of money. Great gig for him.

Akili was '99. Why is this such a bad pick?

They addressed their #1 need, with the concensus #1 player at that position. I just don't see that as being a bad pick. Now if they don't utilize him, then the issue is not with the pick, but the scheme and coach. I like the pick:thumb:

:thumb: I agree wholeheartedly.

In theory, I like the pick. A real threat at TE would be a huge addition to the Bengals offense.

In reality, they've shown no ability to get their TE involved in the offense over the years. The question is whether that's because of the lack of talent at the position or if its the coaching staff. If they get him involved and actually utilize his talents, its a good pick. If they don't, it's a waste.

I'm not overflowing with the offensive coaches ability to utilize their new TE. I need to see it first.

The other concern is his blocking. The Bengals shifted to a power running team last season...if he doesn't become a decent blocker, will they limit his playing time? Or will they live with the blocking because of his ability's as a receiver? Considering where they picked him, I know what the answers should be, but I'm not certain the Bengals will actually do it.

I'll wait and see.

I think that's ridiculous if it's because "the Bengals don't use the TE". I don't know if Bengals fans have noticed but the TE position on their team has been complete garbage for the whole decade. Let me say it again...GARBAGE. For much of the decade the Bengals have had two very good WR outside in Chad and TJ, and sometimes a third when Henry was out of trouble, so that's where the majority of their passing offense was going to go....it was the smart thing to do.

This last year there were really no weapons in the passing game, especially at TE. It's hard to throw to guys who aren't open, and it's dumb to scheme huge parts of your game plan for your least effective players.

Look at Gresham though. If he stays healthy, I think he could easily become a top 5 TE in the NFL. He was like the college version of Antonio Gates, only bigger. Not saying he'll be that good in the NFL, but he looks like he's going to be an absolute stud. With Dez Bryant on the board, does anyone honestly think the Bengals would have taken Gresham if they didn't have huge plans for him? C'mon.:idunno:

I can't believe I just took up for the Bengals.