October 23, 200520 yr Attached is the article from the Herald Leader that reveals how the board of control voted. http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/12968777.htm
October 23, 200520 yr The public school members who voted not to endorse are gutless people. Why did member schools even vote if you do not follow the majority? Hopefully these clowns will be voted out their next election. What a joke.
October 23, 200520 yr The public school members who voted not to endorse are gutless people. Why did member schools even vote if you do not follow the majority? Hopefully these clowns will be voted out their next election. What a joke. Maybe they thought it would bring about the end of the KHSAA and that would be the worse thing that could happen to the schools they represent.
October 23, 200520 yr I would be VERY INTERESTED in seeing the school to school vote at the delegate assemby meeting. Is that published somewhere or not a matter of public record???
October 23, 200520 yr I would be VERY INTERESTED in seeing the school to school vote at the delegate assemby meeting. Is that published somewhere or not a matter of public record??? It was done by "secret scan" so no one would know if a voter went against the way someone higher may have wanted them to vote.
October 23, 200520 yr Maybe they thought it would bring about the end of the KHSAA and that would be the worse thing that could happen to the schools they represent. Mr. Dotson told someone that if this goes through it is the end of high school sports as we know it. Honestly if this thing passes we will be in worst shape than the WVSSAC is in and trust me you do not want that.
October 23, 200520 yr The public school members who voted not to endorse are gutless people. Why did member schools even vote if you do not follow the majority? Hopefully these clowns will be voted out their next election. What a joke. A bigger question would be : Why even have the Delegate Assembly go to the trouble of meeting? If the KHSAA is going to make decisions like this....going against a large majority vote.... then skip the Assembly and let these 18 elected officials make all the decisions. It would be less expensive too, they wouldn't have to rent the Hotel, just meet at the KHSAA building. I bet these 9 voters, the one that abstained, and the one who didn't even bother to show up :confused: will be a little nervous when the time comes for them to run for re-election. I'm glad our area's rep, Ozz Jackson, wasn't afraid to vote for what he clearly saw as being what the majority wanted. That's usually what representatives do, even in Congress, or they're not around very long.
October 23, 200520 yr Actually, the nine members of the board of control weighed the short term and long term ramifications of passing such a proposal and acted responsibly. It is interesting to read all of these publics as they complain and whine when, in reality, the board of control merely exercised one of its most important duties- it protected the general membership from its own ignorance and self-serving. Now, I realize that the publics want to win more championships. I realize that, as is the trend in modern day America, the publics want to make the path to those championships easier (if you can't beat them, get rid of them). I also realize that actual recruiting of athletes is , if for no other reason than mere numbers, more prevalent in public schools than in private schools (thus a red herring when used by the publics). The membership was reactionary and selfish. The board of control showed a little maturity.
October 23, 200520 yr The public school members who voted not to endorse are gutless people. Why did member schools even vote if you do not follow the majority? Hopefully these clowns will be voted out their next election. What a joke. No they were intelligent right thinking people .
October 23, 200520 yr The public school members who voted not to endorse are gutless people. Why did member schools even vote if you do not follow the majority? Hopefully these clowns will be voted out their next election. What a joke.Or maybe the gutless people are the ones who fear competition from the private schools and had voted in favor of awarding meaningless trophies at the end of each season.
October 23, 200520 yr Dino, I think the majority of Cubster's post reflect the attitude members of the 15/16th region have towards their "REPRESENTATIVE" :irked: If I'm an elected official and I go against 90% of my constituents then I will not be elected again. But then of course, I could make some "wonderful, intriguing promises to people individually and try to get re-elected. Fact is, some BOC representatives DO NOT CARE about anybody other than themselves and THEIR people and will arrogantly do whatever they want without making at least a phone call to anyone to see their position or stance. Arrogance at controlling positions within our high school athletic framework is what's going to 'end high school sports in Kentucky as we know it' ....not anything else.
October 23, 200520 yr Dino, I think the majority of Cubster's post reflect the attitude members of the 15/16th region have towards their "REPRESENTATIVE" :irked: If I'm an elected official and I go against 90% of my constituents then I will not be elected again. But then of course, I could make some "wonderful, intriguing promises to people individually and try to get re-elected. Fact is, some BOC representatives DO NOT CARE about anybody other than themselves and THEIR people and will arrogantly do whatever they want without making at least a phone call to anyone to see their position or stance. Arrogance at controlling positions within our high school athletic framework is what's going to 'end high school sports in Kentucky as we know it' ....not anything else. I doubt that the majority of voters in eastern Kentucky feel strongly one way or another. I don't think it will every be a hot button issue in any eastern Kentucky election, unless it is for the Ashland BOE positions. Kentucky's public schools will be shooting themselves in the feet if they ever split the public school sports programs from the private school programs. Fewer teams mean more travel time and softer competition. Does anybody really believe that if this measure ever passes that the wide gap between high school football programs in Kentucky and states like Ohio and Indiana will narrow? Public schools in those states seem to compete pretty well with the private schools, and our top teams don't seem to fare very well against their top teams, regardless of whether they play private or public schools. Evidently selective boycotting of private schools has failed to "level the playing field," so now the same whining public schools seek to win through legislation that which they cannot win in competition.
October 23, 200520 yr Author Nets, it is my opinion that the at large member from Ashland more that offsets Mr. Dobson. As a former member of the Ashland school board I can assure you that she is looking out for the best interest of Ashland. I just find it laughable when anyone from the 63rd or 64th districts speak of an unlevel playing field. There is nothing that Rose Hill can do, is doing, or has done that the public schools in this area can't do, are doing, or have done. Just go back 3 years ago and look how the vultures circled Rose Hill and plucked away player after player. Like I have mentioned before Russell, Greenup, Fairview, and Ashland all benefited from Rose Hill's short term problems. No one was complaining then, but now that Rose Hill has dominated junior high basketball for three years and has been able to retain the talent, people are upset and the playing field is unlevel. Add to that that the Faulkners transfered from Russell to Rose Hill and now people like the cubster are back on their soap box. Funny thing is that without players from Rose Hill, Russell's boys team would be a shell of itself. All I can say is the gate swings both ways. Some people make not like that but that's the way it is.
October 23, 200520 yr Author I need to amend my last post. Rose Hill has not retained all of their junior high talent they did lose a starter off of last years 8th grade team to........................................RUSSELL! Anyone suprised?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.