Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 44 Conner 27

Featured Replies

Ryle (14-11) - Stauffer 4 3 11, McLeish 3 2 9, Coleman 2 4 8, Pinkston 3 0 7, Perkins 1 3 5, Stenson 1 0 2, Vollet 1 0 2. Totals: 15 12 44.

 

Conner (15-12) - Flesch 3 4 10, Hodges 3 0 6, Stephens 1 3 6, Lang 1 0 3, Robinson 1 0 2. Totals: 9 7 27.

 

Ryle 8 6 15 15 -44

Conner 4 6 5 12 -27

 

3-pointers: R 2 (Pinkston, McLeash); C 2 (Stephens, Lang).

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot clock in HS boys basketball is needed immediately

 

The lack of a shot clock really had minimal effect, if any, on the final score of this game. Good defense and a lot of missed shots were the reasons the score was so low. I would love to know the total number of blocked shots in this game - had to be mid-20's, maybe pushing 30?

Ryle missed a bunch of close shots that could have blown this game open early. Most where contested but they where close shots. Conner got nothing easy all night.

The conner offense appeared stagnant and very timid. With the exception of Flesch driving the lane, they had nothing inside or out. I credit Ryle with making defensive adjustments in the second half. They doubled and tripled down on Flesch when he went into the lane. Conner failed to make offense adjustments and therefore allowed Ryle to pull away. Stauffer and Vollett owned this game in the paint. Ryle played a great game IMO. They let Conner set the tempo and then beat them at it.

Ryle missed a bunch of close shots that could have blown this game open early. Most where contested but they where close shots. Conner got nothing easy all night.

 

The "close" shots were the problem since Hodges swatted everything.

I was at this game as well. When you see a team hold the ball for over 1 minute, I say that a shot clock is needed. Just 45 seconds, not 35 like college, but you need one nevertheless. Other states are going to it and we should follow.

I was at this game as well. When you see a team hold the ball for over 1 minute, I say that a shot clock is needed. Just 45 seconds, not 35 like college, but you need one nevertheless. Other states are going to it and we should follow.

 

There was an occasional or two they pace of play was deliberately slowed down, but this was far from a stall-ball game. :thumb:

I am not a fan of stall ball at all, but I do not agree with a shot clock at the high school level. Some teams just cannot play the uptempo style of ball. I am to each his own. If you prefer the fast paced game as a coch, then you should find ways to initiate that style. Why take that advantage away from the schools that need it and master it as part of their game plan. I am sure there are people out there that don't like the 3pt shot, but as a coach you find ways to incorporate it and defend against it.

There was an occasional or two they pace of play was deliberately slowed down, but this was far from a stall-ball game. :thumb:

 

I agree to this. Ryle played good defense. I don't think Conner intentionally stalled the ball. They were running a deliberate offense, but failed to get the looks they wanted because of smothering defense by Ryle. Congrats to the Raiders.

This game had zero stall-ball.

This game had zero stall-ball.

 

In fact, Ryle had every reason in the world to play stall-ball in the 4th quarter, but didn't do so. I thought there were a couple of times they pushed the ball up the court too quickly or took an early shot given the lead they had, but hard to complain when they come away with a quality win like that.

Edited by cooperstown

Ryle missed a bunch of close shots that could have blown this game open early. Most where contested but they where close shots. Conner got nothing easy all night.

 

 

And Conner missed a lot of open shots but thats basketball.

I didn't say they stalled. It took too long for a shot to go up. That is why there was a total of 22 points in the first half. The two schools of their size should not be playing that deliberate of a pace, especially with the skill that both schools have. I understand some schools can't play at the pace of others but that doesn't mean they can't run good offense in 45 seconds. A defense can only play good defense for roughly the first 15 seconds and then there is a breakdown (and yes before you ask I have coached high school basketball and big and small schools). I don't see how having a shot clock would be detrimental to small schools.

One schools coach feels the need to control the game too much imo. I do not think that a "play" has to be called everytime down the floor.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.