South Oldham Favored to Win the 8th?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope, for South's sake, that they don't view themselves as the favorite. I have to think Shelby Co. is the favorite, regardless of rankings.

It would be one thing if South had a history of taking care of business in the regional tourney and had a few Sweet 16 appearances, but without either, they should just plan to show up and put it on the line each game.

I do think they are capable of winning the 8th. They have the talent to do it.

Can't imagine any way South Oldham is the favorite of the polls. I have yet to see the poll with South ahead of Shelby.

Where are they ranked 15th??? I can't find this poll. All other polls I've seen have Shelby #1 in the region and South #2.

All that said, I definitely think South can win the region this year, but Shelby will have to be accounted for - they have the most pure talent on the floor.

Can't imagine any way South Oldham is the favorite of the polls. I have yet to see the poll with South ahead of Shelby.

Where are they ranked 15th??? I can't find this poll. All other polls I've seen have Shelby #1 in the region and South #2.

All that said, I definitely think South can win the region this year, but Shelby will have to be accounted for - they have the most pure talent on the floor.

Good post. South Oldham received the power of the polls by beating a 7th region team by a decent margin. That win was a enough to catapult the Dragons into the top 20.

Again, the favorites have had very little success in winning the 8th.

I agree. South can definitely win the region this year. But, to say they are the favored...

Just guessing as to who will actually be there at the region, an argument could be made that this might be a pretty level playing field for all involved. Each team (at least the ones I'm thinking will be there) can bring something unique to the table, that on any given night...who knows!?!?

But, if forced to pick just one team...I'd have to go with Shelby over South, simply because of that earlier season matchup.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/02/21/1150550/scott-co-catholic-solid-district.html

Dave Cantrall's rankings have South 15th in the state.

I didnt say I thought South Oldham was favored to win the region. Notice all the questions and question marks? I was simply asking if anyone thought South Oldham was the favorite. I, for one, dont think they are. Anytime you lose by 20+ to a team in your region(let alone the consensus preseason favorite who is having a pretty good season themselves), I find it hard to believe that you can be the favorite. However, if you went by this set of rankings, South Oldham would be a huge favorite considering Shelby and Anderson arent anywhere to be found.

Can anyone see Walton winning the 8th?

Walton would be one of those teams, IMO, that if things went right, could have a chance. Some of it depends on matchups, and who they might play.

But, if they get good guard play (like they're capable of) and the big guy is a force inside (like he's capable of)...then, yes, I think it's possible they could win 3 games.

Will they? As with all the other teams...that remains to be seen.

And GatorFan, I'd feel the same way about Gallatin County! They too, have a shot at it. While they don't have the height, they are a very strong fundamental team, with some smart players. If they can hit some 3's and play strong D...I could see them making some noise.

But, again, a lot of it depends on matchups. Anybody facing Shelby County on the opening night is going to have a tough draw.