Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holmes 46 Newport Central Catholic 43

Featured Replies

I can see after the whistle. The pre-game dunking is a petty and stupid rule.

 

There's been a few cases where pre game dunking has led to a backboard being shattered.

 

Clyde may know a little better, but I'm pretty sure that's why the rule was put in to effect.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a few cases where pre game dunking has led to a backboard being shattered.

 

Clyde may know a little better, but I'm pretty sure that's why the rule was put in to effect.

 

I always thought it was a sportsmanship issue. Could be wrong though.

I always thought it was a sportsmanship issue. Could be wrong though.

 

Could be. Like I said, Clyde would probably know a little more as to why the rule was put in effect.

Ryle, NCC, Dixie, seems like Beechwood and Villa Madonna were in tight games with the dogs at half....maybe another team or 2. Why should the rest of the ninth region throw up the white flags? The tide has turned somewhat since the beginning of the season IMO.

Ryle, NCC, Dixie, seems like Beechwood and Villa Madonna were in tight games with the dogs at half....maybe another team or 2. Why should the rest of the ninth region throw up the white flags? The tide has turned somewhat since the beginning of the season IMO.

 

Cov. Cath. was nip and tuck, ties and lead changes with the Bulldogs @ Holmes until the end of the 3rd quarter. I agree that several teams in the 9th Region have closed the gap with Holmes. I would certainly include New Cath. in the top tier of teams that could make the trip to Rupp.

There's been a few cases where pre game dunking has led to a backboard being shattered.

 

Clyde may know a little better, but I'm pretty sure that's why the rule was put in to effect.

 

Now that everyone has break-away rims, pregame dunking should be allowed at all times. If the pros are not breaking backboards, I doubt if a high school kid can do it. Pittman's dunk was way after the whistle and would have been called a technical normally. Not sure why it wasn't called, but it's OK with me.

NCC had them right where they wanted them but a no call on a Pittman goal tend and the last 2 fouls on Giesler were weak. Fun game to watch.

 

Reallly. I didnt see the game but my guess is NCC might of tested the Bulldogs and gave them one heck of a game but they certainly never had them right where they wanted them. This is what great teams do to very very good teams. They make them think it, but doing it is another thing. 20n10

The past couple years after Holmes has lost to a regional opponent, everyone says that the region is up for grabs. But Holmes always find ways to win. This year will be no different.

There is no rule that strictly forbids a kid from dunking after a whistle. Its really no different than a kid hoisting a long shot after the whistle.

 

I think you're incorrect on this one.

I think you're incorrect on this one.

 

I suppose I should've read the rest of the thread.

 

I think the reason for the no dunks in pre-game is there because of safety issues. That, and the potential for delay if someone does break a rim.

 

FWIW, Brennan Votel broke the rim at NCC in '03.

The past couple years after Holmes has lost to a regional opponent, everyone says that the region is up for grabs. But Holmes always find ways to win. This year will be no different.

 

I agree. Despite what everyone says, Holmes is still 43-3 in the region over the past 3 years, including this year. This year Holmes is 11-1 in the region.

 

Until someone else knocks off the Dogs, there's no reason for me to believe the region is wide open. Let's not forget this game was AT NEWCATH. That's a very tough place to play for opposing teams.

 

Holmes plays Conner Tues night and Boone Wed night...let's see how those two go before conceding the region to be wide open. If i recall, just a week ago everyone was on the Holmes bandwagon after big wins over Scott and Highlands.

I suppose I should've read the rest of the thread.

 

I think the reason for the no dunks in pre-game is there because of safety issues. That, and the potential for delay if someone does break a rim.

 

FWIW, Brennan Votel broke the rim at NCC in '03.

 

If safety or broken rims are the issue, ban the dunk all together. I would think that a kid would get hurt worse trying to dunk on a contested break away than in a lay-up line. As for the rims, it has been mentioned earlier, the rims are breakaway. You've named one incident of a kid breaking a rim at NewCath, and they've had how many games there? Let's call it what it is, a rule from the 70s that is out-dated. Now that kids can really get up, I think that pre-games add a level of excitement to the games. Some games Holmes plays, the pre-game dunk routine is more exciting than watching the game and having the other team take the air out of the ball.

If safety or broken rims are the issue, ban the dunk all together. I would think that a kid would get hurt worse trying to dunk on a contested break away than in a lay-up line. As for the rims, it has been mentioned earlier, the rims are breakaway. You've named one incident of a kid breaking a rim at NewCath, and they've had how many games there? Let's call it what it is, a rule from the 70s that is out-dated. Now that kids can really get up, I think that pre-games add a level of excitement to the games. Some games Holmes plays, the pre-game dunk routine is more exciting than watching the game and having the other team take the air out of the ball.

 

I agree, I was just pointing out that it has happened relatively recently.

 

FWIW, I don't think the rims at NCC were breakaway at that time.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.