Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

POLL: Best All "A" Champion of the last decade

Simple: Who was the best? 85 members have voted

  1. 1. Simple: Who was the best?

    • 2000 - Newport Central Catholic
      10%
      9
    • 2001 - Glasgow
      2%
      2
    • 2002 - University Heights
      14%
      12
    • 2003 - St. Henry
      29%
      25
    • 2004 - Hazard
      5%
      5
    • 2005 - University Heights
      4%
      4
    • 2006 - Bardstown
      0%
      0
    • 2007 - Bishop Brossart
      17%
      15
    • 2008 - University Heights
      4%
      4
    • 2009 - Shelby Valley
      10%
      9

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Author

ttt

 

Field is set for 2010 tourny...any more thoughts as we look back on the past decade?

 

-CF

I voted for St. Henry 2003 ... a complete team with a dynamite duo of low-post players. Their toughest game was against a good Mayfield squad in the quarterfinals ... Mayfield was assessed a technical foul for dunking in pregame warmups. St. Henry started the game by hitting two free throws ... and won by two.

 

They went on to destroy O.J. Mayo's Rose Hill team in the finals ... the same Rose Hill team that made it to the quarterfinals of the Sweet 16.

 

I've always maintained that St. Henry would have beaten Mason County in the Sweet 16 if not for Schmidt's knee injury. It wouldn't have been an upset, either.

That 2003 St. Henry was a very good team and got my vote.

 

I can still remember seeing Schmidt get hurt in that first round game against MC in the state tourney. If not for that injury, St. Henry beats Mason Co and wins the state title IMO.

 

I've spoke to Mike several times about that game and while he's a very humble guy, he'll be the first to tell you that if he doesn't get hurt they win that game and the state championship. The Cru had won 19 straight coming in to the game, including 3 wins over a Mike Brock led Simon Kenton team, and also a win over a Justin Doellman led Ryle team.

 

St. Henry was pretty tough.

  • Author

I think what's most impressive is that every single school has gotten at least one vote, sans '06 Bardstown. I wonder if that is a true level of honesty or if there is a bit of homerism going on there.

 

Seems like the Cru of '03 is the run-away winner so far. Anyone care to compare how that squad would have matched up with either '02 UHA or '07 Brossart?

 

-CardinalsFan

I think what's most impressive is that every single school has gotten at least one vote, sans '06 Bardstown. I wonder if that is a true level of honesty or if there is a bit of homerism going on there.

 

Seems like the Cru of '03 is the run-away winner so far. Anyone care to compare how that squad would have matched up with either '02 UHA or '07 Brossart?

 

-CardinalsFan

 

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that there aren't a lot of people on here from Bardstown. I haven't cast a vote as I haven't seen all those teams, so I don't have complete information with which to make a decision.

 

That '06 team was pretty good, and if anything I think they were validated by the subsequent performances by the school (finalist 2x, quarterfinalist) the next three years with many of the same players in some pretty solid fields (Elliott Co., Shelby Valley, Hazard, Paintsville, UHA, among others).

St. Henry stood out to me because they were so complete, and played so well together. Hard to argue with their dismantling of Rose Hill, who narrowly lost to Ballard in the Sweet 16. St. Henry gave Mason Co. their biggest scare of the year, and I agree that had their post not gotten hurt, the outcome of the game and year is different. He was doing some damage against Mason Co. before going out.

I chose 2003 St. Henry over Rose Hill for the same reasons many did. Granted OJ was a middle schooler, he was a 1st team all state middle schooler and St.Henry was dominant. RH missed alot of shots and got abused on the boards from my recollection. Not to mention, the St. Henry student section was off the chain.

Got to say the '07 Brossart squad. Beat a murderer's row of NC, Gallatin, UHA and defending champ Bardstown to win it. Beat a UHA team with Hopson and Edmonson by 20. Finished with the #1 Ranking in the Final N. KY Coaches Poll. Finished 28-5 with 3 of their losses to the Daruis Miller led Mason County Royals. Also lost to LexCath at the Lexcath tourney by 3. Second best team in the 10th behind the mighty State Champion Royals.

 

You make a compelling argument. I think that St. Henry was unreal in 2003. that was my vote. Great size and senior leadership. I loved NewCath as well. When Ronnie was in the groove he could not be stopped.

I'd have to go for the '03 St. Henry and '07 Bishop Brossart teams. Agree with many who think St. H might have won the Sweet Sixteen if Schmidt doesn't get hurt vs. Mason. 2007 was a pretty good basketball year in the state and in NKY, and BB finished on top of the final Enquirer poll, beating CovCath at Park Hills to claim the title at the end of the regular season!! Also beat an outstanding field in the "A", including the UHA team with Scotty Hopson, Edmundson and the 6'11" Langhi kid by 20 in the semis; and don't forget they were without a 6'5" starter for the tourney!!

 

Both teams had size, athleticism, shooting, basketball smarts, and were senior laden teams. I'd probably have to give Brossart the defensive edge, as they finished #1 in the state that year in scoring average I believe. Shame that Schmidt got hurt vs. Mason, and BB's '07's came along the same year as Darius Miller & Co. at Mason County (that name again :D) Both great teams!!

 

Watching Shelby Valley tonight reminds me a little of these two teams?

I'd have to go for the '03 St. Henry and '07 Bishop Brossart teams. Agree with many who think St. H might have won the Sweet Sixteen if Schmidt doesn't get hurt vs. Mason. 2007 was a pretty good basketball year in the state and in NKY, and BB finished on top of the final Enquirer poll, beating CovCath at Park Hills to claim the title at the end of the regular season!! Also beat an outstanding field in the "A", including the UHA team with Scotty Hopson, Edmundson and the 6'11" Langhi kid by 20 in the semis; and don't forget they were without a 6'5" starter for the tourney!!

 

Both teams had size, athleticism, shooting, basketball smarts, and were senior laden teams. I'd probably have to give Brossart the defensive edge, as they finished #1 in the state that year in scoring average I believe. Shame that Schmidt got hurt vs. Mason, and BB's '07's came along the same year as Darius Miller & Co. at Mason County (that name again :D) Both great teams!!

 

Watching Shelby Valley tonight reminds me a little of these two teams?

 

Not even close...SV is good but is in no way as good as that 03' St. Henry team or 07' Brossart team. Both play much better defense than SV.

Not even close...SV is good but is in no way as good as that 03' St. Henry team or 07' Brossart team. Both play much better defense than SV.

 

Agreed--Notice I said a little? More in their make-up, size, good passing, etc. I'd argue the fields were significantly better than this year's, particularly in 2007. Several very good teams, especially in BB's bracket. Not as knowledgeable on the '03 field, but did follow that St. Henry team.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.