January 8, 201016 yr This year, yes they would be. Record wise and overall team. Easily. Roy Williams is 7-5 against Duke since coming to UNC and last year was the first time Roy has swept Duke. I hardly call that "owning" Coach K, but to each his own.:idunno: One could even make the statement that Roy has had far superior talent than Coach K.
January 9, 201016 yr One could even make the statement that Roy has had far superior talent than Coach K. There is no doubt about that!
January 9, 201016 yr Not worried about UNC at all... :laugh: I'm sure both teams feel the same about each other...
January 9, 201016 yr One could even make the statement that Roy has had far superior talent than Coach K. No doubt. We'll see what kind of coach he is when UNC and Duke meet up this year since his team this year isn't one of his more recent stocked with talent teams. If there is a sweep this year, Duke will sweep, but I expect a split this year.
January 9, 201016 yr No doubt. We'll see what kind of coach he is when UNC and Duke meet up this year since his team this year isn't one of his more recent stocked with talent teams. If there is a sweep this year, Duke will sweep, but I expect a split this year. We won't find nothing out bout what kind of a coach he is based on 2 games this season out of 100s of games he has already coached. Hes a great coach, much like Coach K and you can't take that away from him. Hes proven to be great at what he does.
January 9, 201016 yr We won't find nothing out bout what kind of a coach he is based on 2 games this season out of 100s of games he has already coached. Hes a great coach, much like Coach K and you can't take that away from him. Hes proven to be great at what he does. I think he is an excellent recruiter. Likely the 2nd best after Calipari, but I think Coach K can do more with less than Roy can and I like that in a coach more so than just assembling the best talent. Plus Roy has had some very talented teams throughout his profession, but it wasn't until he got to UNC that he finally didn't choke in the tourney. Great coach with an outstanding record, but my bias as a Dukie will not allow me to put him on the same level as Coach K and I am not ashamed to admit it.
January 9, 201016 yr I think he is an excellent recruiter. Likely the 2nd best after Calipari, but I think Coach K can do more with less than Roy can and I like that in a coach more so than just assembling the best talent. Plus Roy has had some very talented teams throughout his profession, but it wasn't until he got to UNC that he finally didn't choke in the tourney. Great coach with an outstanding record, but my bias as a Dukie will not allow me to put him on the same level as Coach K and I am not ashamed to admit it. He made several Final 4s at Kansas. Once you get to the Final 4 typically you are going to face 2 great teams in order to win it all. I think the term choke is harsh and incorrect. Did Coach K choke in 98 when they were favored over UK and had the big lead and UK came back and won? Did Coach K choke when UConn upset them in the championship game? No, not at all.
January 9, 201016 yr He made several Final 4s at Kansas. Once you get to the Final 4 typically you are going to face 2 great teams in order to win it all. I think the term choke is harsh and incorrect. Did Coach K choke in 98 when they were favored over UK and had the big lead and UK came back and won? Did Coach K choke when UConn upset them in the championship game? No, not at all. Yes, both of those games were chokes in my opinion. When favored and you lose, you choked. Especially in 98. The Duke/Indiana game in 2002 at Rupp is another example. Roy has choked a lot more than Coach K, though. He has made several Final Fours and he also has lost a time or two with high seeded NBA talent laden teams earlier than the Final Four also.
January 9, 201016 yr Yes, both of those games were chokes in my opinion. When favored and you lose, you choked. Especially in 98. The Duke/Indiana game in 2002 at Rupp is another example. Roy has choked a lot more than Coach K, though. He has made several Final Fours and he also has lost a time or two with high seeded NBA talent laden teams earlier than the Final Four also. What about Duke losing to VMI, West Virginia, LSU, and other early round losses they have suffered in recent years. Duke was favorites in all those games. If you want to use the term choke freely you'd be saying that Coach K has been a regular choke artist lately.
January 9, 201016 yr He has been. No argument from me on that one.:thumb: I have questioned many things he has done lately, but when you take a step back and look at the teams he has had since 2004 and they have all been teams led by no more than 2 players. Inside game has been non-existent since Shelden Williams left, even with Josh McRoberts, but we haven't seen a prototypical Coach K team with good skilled players at every position since 2001-2002. That all around team will be back next year though.
January 9, 201016 yr Ive said for years that teams with a lot of athleticism gives Duke fits. I think they are more equipped this year to handle that. A good example of that was he UConn game, but Georgia Tech's athleticism created a lot of trouble for Duke today.
January 9, 201016 yr This thread was started to jinx Duke. You could be right. It's all good though. I figure we'll lose 2-4 conference games this year. I am more concerned with how we are playing in March as opposed to road conference games in early January. I hope they can learn from this loss. Mason Plumlee looked great today. I sure wish Singler would remember how to play the way he has the last 2 years. He has been awful this year.
January 9, 201016 yr Like I said earlier, Singler is really struggling. At this point, no way he leaves after this year.
January 9, 201016 yr Like I said earlier, Singler is really struggling. At this point, no way he leaves after this year. I agree.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.