Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Screaming parent....

Featured Replies

What should be done with a parent who Screams negative coments at his kid during a basketball game? It is brutal in small crowd situation where clearly everyone hears it. I have seen this far to often and you feel bad for the kid but should anything be done?

angry-man_istock_000005831286xsmall_cropped[1].jpg

 

Thoughts?

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being guilty of this myself a few times, I think the parent and kid have to work it out amongst themselves. I think a lot of people don't understand the time and effort parents put into their kids sports and there is no question that they go overboard sometimes.:taz:

 

When this has happened with me in the past, my son usually tells me to zip it and I try to do that!

 

If the parent interferes with the coaching, the coach needs to intervene.

 

Only if the parent is threatening or using profanity, then officials should get involved.

It took me two years of getting worked up at 5th grade games to finally look in the mirror and realize it does no good. Its been 4 yrs and I have to say I enjoy watching my son much better by just chilling out and yelling out encouraging words. The response you get is amazing.

 

I see this too many times and have even seen parents race to the tunnel at halftime of football games to yell instructions to their kids and sometimes those instructions are against team play and what the coach is trying to do. Its ridiculous !!!

It took me two years of getting worked up at 5th grade games to finally look in the mirror and realize it does no good. Its been 4 yrs and I have to say I enjoy watching my son much better by just chilling out and yelling out encouraging words. The response you get is amazing.

 

I see this too many times and have even seen parents race to the tunnel at halftime of football games to yell instructions to their kids and sometimes those instructions are against team play and what the coach is trying to do. Its ridiculous !!!

 

Agree! I see parents coaching from the stands happen a lot more than yelling at the kids.

  • Author
Agree! I see parents coaching from the stands happen a lot more than yelling at the kids.

 

I agree the coaching is almost unavoidable, the screaming is brutal.

I can't tell you how many gifted players I've seen quit a sport (or sports) because of their parents' behavior.

I can't tell you how many gifted players I've seen quit a sport (or sports) because of their parents' behavior.

 

I've seen it happen too.

 

 

It is amazing what parents say, whether it is ridiculing the coach or their own child.

If the coach is aware of it and it is a distraction to the kid and or the team, the coach tells the parent if I hear a negative comment your kid will not play the rest of the game. You would be amazed how quickly that crap will stop.

 

Include coaching from the stands of any kind.

  • Author
If the coach is aware of it and it is a distraction to the kid and or the team, the coach tells the parent if I hear a negative comment your kid will not play the rest of the game. You would be amazed how quickly that crap will stop.

 

Include coaching from the stands of any kind.

 

I like that answer but not many will do it.

During a recent game that I attended, a parent screamed at his kid for doing something that quite frankly I thought was a great play by his son. Dad wanted his son to shoot the ball, but the kid did the correct thing and passed it to a teammate, who then had a very easy layup. Funny but a minute or two later the young man who was the recipient of the pass, did the same to this gentlemen son and he got the easy basket.

 

Parents, it's all about "Team" and your kids understand that and you should too!

During a recent game that I attended, a parent screamed at his kid for doing something that quite frankly I thought was a great play by his son. Dad wanted his son to shoot the ball, but the kid did the correct thing and passed it to a teammate, who then had a very easy layup. Funny but a minute or two later the young man who was the recipient of the pass, did the same to this gentlemen son and he got the easy basket.

 

Parents, it's all about "Team" and your kids understand that and you should too!

 

That seems to be the issue I see a lot. You can tell the kids who's parents tell them to shoot, shoot, shoot. They are the ones who start fastbreaks and finish them on their own even when they have 1 or 2 players ahead who could make easy layups. It never goes unknown to the fans in the stands.

If the coach is aware of it and it is a distraction to the kid and or the team, the coach tells the parent if I hear a negative comment your kid will not play the rest of the game. You would be amazed how quickly that crap will stop.

 

Include coaching from the stands of any kind.

 

So you penalize the kid for the parent being an idiot?

 

I would address the parent that they need to control themselves.

What should be done with a parent who Screams negative coments at his kid during a basketball game? It is brutal in small crowd situation where clearly everyone hears it. I have seen this far to often and you feel bad for the kid but should anything be done?

[ATTACH]29384[/ATTACH]

 

Thoughts?

 

If I was the kid I would tell Mom/Dad to ease up.

 

If I am another parent I would do is stare at the parent like they have 18 heads, roll my eyes and shake my head. If they didn't get the hint. I would speak to them one on one about the situation.

So you penalize the kid for the parent being an idiot?

 

I would address the parent that they need to control themselves.

Well he has no power over the parent now does he? Control of playing time is like having a nuclear weapon. Trust me, if the conversation goes, I'm going to have an assistant just to listen to you, and if he reports to me that you are yelling negative comments your kid will come out the rest of the game. I 100% would not play the kid. If it happens again the kid loses the next game. A third time and he's off the team. Trust me, it would stop.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.