Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Screaming parent....

Featured Replies

Well he has no power over the parent now does he? Control of playing time is like having a nuclear weapon. Trust me, if the conversation goes, I'm going to have an assistant just to listen to you, and if he reports to me that you are yelling negative comments your kid will come out the rest of the game. I 100% would not play the kid. If it happens again the kid loses the next game. A third time and he's off the team. Trust me, it would stop.

 

I certainly would shut my mouth :notworthy:

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well he has no power over the parent now does he? Control of playing time is like having a nuclear weapon. Trust me, if the conversation goes, I'm going to have an assistant just to listen to you, and if he reports to me that you are yelling negative comments your kid will come out the rest of the game. I 100% would not play the kid. If it happens again the kid loses the next game. A third time and he's off the team. Trust me, it would stop.

 

Again I disagree. I would have the parent removed from the gym.

Again I disagree. I would have the parent removed from the gym.

Mine is easier and private and not a physical confrontation. What if the parent won't go. Let me guess, his kid doesn't play?

Mine is easier and private and not a physical confrontation. What if the parent won't go. Let me guess, his kid doesn't play?

 

Easier and Private how???? Everyone knows the kids is not playing because of his parent. You can make the parent go. I have seen this happen. You get the ref, other staff or worse the police to remove them. That simple. You telll them they are not allowed back into the gym until they are able to control themselves.

Easier and Private how???? Everyone knows the kids is not playing because of his parent. You can make the parent go. I have seen this happen. You get the ref, other staff or worse the police to remove them. That simple. You telll them they are not allowed back into the gym until they are able to control themselves.

Police??? Man, if you think that is easier you and I are not only on different pages, we're in different libraries. And you think stopping a game, getting refs or police is a good solution?. You tell the parent the consequence and it stops. If a kid does not play there are 100 reasons. No one has to know unless the parent tells someone. His or her choice. Also, I'm a parent and I get kicked out until I can control myself? That's pretty subjective.

Another side to that is a situation where a player disregards what his coach is telling him and spends more time looking at the parent/relatives in the stands when the player should be communicating with his teams mates and looking to his coaches. Distractions in the stands is something a coach has to learn to handle or it will hinder their ability to control their team.

Police??? Man, if you think that is easier you and I are not only on different pages, we're in different libraries. And you think stopping a game, getting refs or police is a good solution?. You tell the parent the consequence and it stops. If a kid does not play there are 100 reasons. No one has to know unless the parent tells someone. His or her choice. Also, I'm a parent and I get kicked out until I can control myself? That's pretty subjective.

 

You been in radio long enough and seen lots of things! If the parent is that disruptive my suggestions are not that out of whack. I am also stating there are many options that can be done to take care of the problem. Taking it out on the kid is the easy road and I disagree with that being the first option.

Another side to that is a situation where a player disregards what his coach is telling him and spends more time looking at the parent/relatives in the stands when the player should be communicating with his teams mates and looking to his coaches. Distractions in the stands is something a coach has to learn to handle or it will hinder their ability to control their team.

 

 

In this case I totally agree with the coach taking away playing time.

You been in radio long enough and seen lots of things! If the parent is that disruptive my suggestions are not that out of whack. I am also stating there are many options that can be done to take care of the problem. Taking it out on the kid is the easy road and I disagree with that being the first option.

I've only been in radio 5 years, and PA announcer for 10, just a fan for 15 and a player for about 7. One thing I know for sure. The only true power a coach has over people is playing time. It's just that simple.

  • Author

Well my way of stopping it is to post it on BGPs cause we all know everyone reads BGP's , so if you are doing it, STOP IT! Your kids deserve better. And if you see it happening turn and stare and if you are a coach warn the parent and then bench him if it continues.

 

I'll now step off my soap box and go back to just taking pictures.

I've only been in radio 5 years, and PA announcer for 10, just a fan for 15 and a player for about 7. One thing I know for sure. The only true power a coach has over people is playing time. It's just that simple.

 

I know..we have actually met! :lol::lol: I'm not trying to make this an arguement. A coach may have to resort to taking a players PT for this type of problem. I am saying that I don't think it is the best option or one taken first.

I know..we have actually met! :lol::lol: I'm not trying to make this an arguement. A coach may have to resort to taking a players PT for this type of problem. I am saying that I don't think it is the best option or one taken first.

Well, if we've met then I'll back off. :D There are probably better ways, but I'm just a hard butt. The coach has to be made aware and have a conversation. Somewhere playing time has to come into play. Maybe that is last. It's too bad though that this is an issue. Coaches and players have enough to think about.

A kid's playing time should be a result of his talent and hard work, not a result of the parent's behavior. No only WILL you be penalizing this kid, you might be penalizing the rest of his/her team from what this kid brings to the table, thus him/her playing in the first place and not sitting the bench.

 

I've been a basketball book keeper and football statistician for many years. I've heard all kinds of things being said by parents/uncles/grandmas/etc from the stands. When it comes to those people yelling at their player, I've known coaches to talk to the yeller one on one (first step, in my opinion) and that always stops it. I've seen other instances where 'fans' were yelling other things and our principal has called that individual and let them know in no uncertain terms that their behavior will no longer be tolerated and giving them an ultimatum. That's worked in all but one case and in that instance, the parent was banned for the rest of the year. Had he shown up, he would have been escorted back out by a law enforcement official.

 

Again, the best thing to do is talk to the parent one on one after the incident. We should never blackmail a parent by punishing his/her child.

I totally agree that yelling at the kids while they are playing is distracting and an embarrassment to the person doing the yelling and the poor kid on the court. Next time, as fans, you see it happen, you should put that person in his place. No need to be confrontational but say something. If he thinks enough people think he is an idiot hopefully he will stop. The kid shouldn't be penalized with playing time. Usually the kids are just doing the best they can do. If the kid isn't doing his job (the coach's decision) then he should be pulled. It would be ashame to see a kid who is a true team player benched because of an unruly father who just doesn't get it. Speak up fans and tell the loud, obnoxious father to keep his mouth shut.

Broadcasting games, you would be amazed what the mic hears. Parents like this should be removed. End of story. In doing the 8th region games in the past where the attendance isn't that great at some games, it really becomes a distraction. Not only for the players, but everyone else in the gym.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.