Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holmes Bulldogs

Featured Replies

Ok well I guess "high powered" was the wrong word to use. This year through the first 10 games of the season the highest amount of points they have scored is 61. Actually they have only reached 60 points or higher one time this year. Last year through the first 10 games of the season the highest amount of points they scored was 76. And last year through the first 10 games of the season they scored 60 or more points 7 times, reaching 70 5 of those times. So even if their offense isnt "high powered" like you said it isnt, it defintaley has decreased alot.

 

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that the production is down from last year, but to label this team as "high powered" or even somewhat of a high scoring team this year or last is off based. Elliott Co last year = High Powered, Holmes = Defensive ball club there is a huge difference.

 

I have said many times, it isn't how much you score, it is whether or not you have a bigger number on your side of the scoreboard than the opponet has on theirs. Holmes will have that bigger number more time than not this year, whether they have to score 100, or can do it scoring 45.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of their biggest problems isn't talent, but inexperience.

 

Outside of Pittman and the Johnson Brothers, everyone is a new face.

 

Rice played last year but wasn't counted on to score the way he is now and didn't have a starting role last year either. He's currently averaging around 10 ppg and doing a great job for the Dogs but is still working on attacking the rim more and being more aggressive.

 

Avery played big time minutes at Conner last year and played AAU with Slusher, Johnson Brothers, and Pittman but is still making the transition in to Holmes' system.

 

The combination of Hayes, Mayfield, Herndon, and McClendon probably played a COMBINED 4 minutes per game last year.

 

Holmes will only get better as the season progresses but I wouldn't consider them the region favorite at this point.

 

They are still the favorites until someone from the 9th region beats them.

They are still the favorites until someone from the 9th region beats them.

 

This is true but what i think they are missing a pure shooter. When teams play zone like PC and Villa they have had a hard time scoring.They need a shooter that can open up the zone so they can get the ball inside or drive to the basket. I know people is going to say Rico,JJ and even Pittman can shoot the three and i know they can but not on a consistent basis. There defense is great but im not sure it will be enough to overcome there offesive problems this year.

Does anybody else see it? Or am I the only one?

 

Holmes doesn't look as good this year as they did last year. I don't know if its just me or if other people are seeing it also. I'm throwing it out there that they will get upset during the regional tournament. Holmes this year just isn't as dominant as they were last year. Jamel Riley was the glue of this offense. Holmes offense isn't dominant this year. They only score 59 points against a at best mediocre team in Villa Madonna. Nothing against VM but they just don't have the talent Holmes has. Holmes is supposed to be what 1st-3rd in the state depending on which poll you look at and can only come up with 59 points against VM. Also only beating Pendleton County be 11 points? I know there is times teams play really good when they know they are the underdog but this is starting to turn into a habit for the Dogs, keeping it close or losing come halftime. The Dogs of last year would be probably around 9-1 outscoring their opponents by 20 to 25 points a game. Holmes should be winning games against teams like Villa and Pendleton and Beechwood by 40 points and scoring 70 to 80 points against teams like these. I think the only good win they have had this year was against Memphis Central and against the team from Az. All the games Holmes has won this season, they haven't by any stretch of the mind been dominant throughout the entire game like they should be against some of these teams that they should be beating by 30. All I'm saying is ANYONE has a shot in 9th region this year. I'm just saying getting beat at halftime by a team like Villa isn't going to cut it for them one game when a team knows how to put a team away. Holmes is probably the favorite in the 9th by majority of the people but i think anybody that has watched Holmes play this year knows as well as I do that any team can beat them.

:sssh:

 

With all of that said you failed to mention how Pittman and Avery did not play those two games. Also Ricardo sat a whole second half vs. Pendalton. Any team missing there two top leading scorers and still winning by double digits is alright IMO. Holmes still hasn't found themeselves yet. They have alot of growing to do as a team. We still have to give them some credit because they are still winning games. As the seasons progresses I see them molding together and going back down state to defend their title!

Does anybody else see it? Or am I the only one?

 

Holmes doesn't look as good this year as they did last year. I don't know if its just me or if other people are seeing it also. I'm throwing it out there that they will get upset during the regional tournament. Holmes this year just isn't as dominant as they were last year. Jamel Riley was the glue of this offense. Holmes offense isn't dominant this year. They only score 59 points against a at best mediocre team in Villa Madonna. Nothing against VM but they just don't have the talent Holmes has. Holmes is supposed to be what 1st-3rd in the state depending on which poll you look at and can only come up with 59 points against VM. Also only beating Pendleton County be 11 points? I know there is times teams play really good when they know they are the underdog but this is starting to turn into a habit for the Dogs, keeping it close or losing come halftime. The Dogs of last year would be probably around 9-1 outscoring their opponents by 20 to 25 points a game. Holmes should be winning games against teams like Villa and Pendleton and Beechwood by 40 points and scoring 70 to 80 points against teams like these. I think the only good win they have had this year was against Memphis Central and against the team from Az. All the games Holmes has won this season, they haven't by any stretch of the mind been dominant throughout the entire game like they should be against some of these teams that they should be beating by 30. All I'm saying is ANYONE has a shot in 9th region this year. I'm just saying getting beat at halftime by a team like Villa isn't going to cut it for them one game when a team knows how to put a team away. Holmes is probably the favorite in the 9th by majority of the people but i think anybody that has watched Holmes play this year knows as well as I do that any team can beat them.

:sssh:

David Henley has a history of preferring a half court set offense and he will make every effort to develop this team to be able to play this style. He developed this style when he played as a guard on the early 1980s Carlisle Co. teams. As a senior he directed the offense on the team that lost to Henry Clay 35-33 in 3 OTs in the state championship game. He is no stranger to deliberate offenses. Give him time to try to get this team to play his way. If he doesn't don't be surprised to see him allow them to run a little and press full court. He has a lot of other things to deal with right now as Oldjams stated in another reply. If he is half the coach that everyone on this site felt last year he will find a way to get them ready come March to make a run at back-to-back titles. The team with the best record doesn't always get to the championship game as Louisville Central will attest. It's a long time until March and every team will probably look a little different by then.

We are still in December, correct?

They are still the favorites until someone from the 9th region beats them.

 

They will be ready when it's time... The guard play will get better with game play. I haven't seen them this year but know the boys will come through. Should be a good one tonight against Newport. :cool:

This is true but what i think they are missing a pure shooter. When teams play zone like PC and Villa they have had a hard time scoring.They need a shooter that can open up the zone so they can get the ball inside or drive to the basket. I know people is going to say Rico,JJ and even Pittman can shoot the three and i know they can but not on a consistent basis. There defense is great but im not sure it will be enough to overcome there offesive problems this year.

 

They have one on the bench.He is only a fr but with everybody out he is getting the valuable playing time he needs to help down the line this year.

They have one on the bench.He is only a fr but with everybody out he is getting the valuable playing time he needs to help down the line this year.

 

Christian looked pretty good last night against Villa. He is very smooth in all aspects of the game for his age. He's gotten a little bigger since last year as well.

 

They also have one of the better sophomores in the area in 6'4 Dontel Rice. He is very explosive and strong for his size and age. Also much more athletic than older brother Kevon.

 

Dontel has been dominating at the JV level from what I hear. Hopefully he'll get a chance to play some soon. He just started dressing varsity when Holmes played Pendleton Co.

I remember reading the same stuff last year at this time about Holmes.

I think Dontel might end up better than big brother.

I think Dontel might end up better than big brother.

 

I've been saying that. Dontel is already stronger as a sophomore than big cousin Greg was as a senior. He also has some unreal hops and athleticism. People will know his name by the end of the year. He's too good not to be seeing some time by mid-late February, if not sooner.

 

Anyone who has seen him play knows what I'm talking about. He's going to be a special player.

Holmes wouldn't have won the region last year had Austin Flannery played for Boone County. I think the 9th region is still up for grabs.

I've been saying that. Dontel is already stronger as a sophomore than big cousin Greg was as a senior. He also has some unreal hops and athleticism. People will know his name by the end of the year. He's too good not to be seeing some time by mid-late February, if not sooner.

 

Anyone who has seen him play knows what I'm talking about. He's going to be a special player.

 

Is he #45?

Holmes wouldn't have won the region last year had Austin Flannery played for Boone County. I think the 9th region is still up for grabs.
I think he played for Scott County and Homles beat them to last year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.