December 25, 200916 yr I think home and home is the only way to go. UK turns every neutral site into Rupp Arena on the road whether it's the Georgia Dome, Tampa, Indianapolis, Louisville, Maui or Mexico. Plus, Duke is always the bad guys at a neutral site, which is okay with me, but it'd be good to have the home crowd behind them. The other poster is right, unless you are a Duke fan living in Kentucky, most Duke fans could care less about UK whereas UK fans hate Duke with the same passion of hate as that of UL, Indiana and Tennesee.
December 25, 200916 yr I think home and home is the only way to go. UK turns every neutral site into Rupp Arena on the road whether it's the Georgia Dome, Tampa, Indianapolis, Louisville, Maui or Mexico. Plus, Duke is always the bad guys at a neutral site, which is okay with me, but it'd be good to have the home crowd behind them. The other poster is right, unless you are a Duke fan living in Kentucky, most Duke fans could care less about UK whereas UK fans hate Duke with the same passion of hate as that of UL, Indiana and Tennesee. I'm glad so many people on here are so knowledgeable about entire team fanbases. Where does one go to look up that information?
December 25, 200916 yr I'm glad so many people on here are so knowledgeable about entire team fanbases. Where does one go to look up that information? Devilsillustrated.com is where I go for all the up to the minute information on the Duke Blue Devils. :thumb: It also helps to have been a Duke fan for 20+ years........:thumb: Trust me, they aren't concerned with UK like UK is concerned with Duke. Do they hate UK, yes, but concerned with UK, not hardly. Duke fans laugh at UK fans and keep it moving.......they didn't care about Calipari, but they hated to see John Wall come to UK. Once UK fans started making posts on Devilsillustrated.com about how they were the greatest and how Calipari was a better coach than Coach K and how John Wall would never go to Duke, only then they did they get a little upset with UK. The moderators began banning the bad UK posters and ever since, life has been good on the website again. The UK-Duke rivalry is way more intense on the UK side than the Duke side and that is a fact.
December 25, 200916 yr I'm glad so many people on here are so knowledgeable about entire team fanbases. Where does one go to look up that information? I've actually been to Duke camps for 3 years awhile back. They really could care less about UK. I'm sure they would like the matchup but wouldn't consider it a rival game by any means... Maybe if it were to be played every year and have some good games in there they would start to think of it as one... but UNC and partly Maryland are their rivals, nobody else. NC State since they are so close but not really considered a rival. That's where I get my information. :thumb:
December 25, 200916 yr I love how people say that the Kentucky / Duke "rivalry" exists only in the minds of Kentucky fans. That is so short-sighted and false. As a Kentucky fan, I dislike Duke because they have received so much national attention in the past. The "Leader K" commercials were brutal. Kentucky & Duke have had some absolutely classic college basketball games with one another. It's not a rivalry now because we never play each other; however, both have passionate fan bases and great programs. It'd be a great rivalry, if we were able to play them on a regular basis. Every non-UK fan striking down the "rivalry" seems a bit childish to me, but it is what it is. People pretend as if Kentucky fans think Duke is their biggest rival. They're not, nor does anyone think that they are. Louisville, Indiana, and Tennessee are the biggest rivals. North Carolina could be thrown in the mix too, particularly since they've started playing regularly. Honestly, does it matter whether or not Kentucky / Duke is a rivalry? The fact of the matter is that these two programs produce epic college basketball games and it'd be great for EVERYONE to have them on a regular basis.
December 25, 200916 yr Devilsillustrated.com is where I go for all the up to the minute information on the Duke Blue Devils. :thumb: It also helps to have been a Duke fan for 20+ years........:thumb: Trust me, they aren't concerned with UK like UK is concerned with Duke. Do they hate UK, yes, but concerned with UK, not hardly. Duke fans laugh at UK fans and keep it moving.......they didn't care about Calipari, but they hated to see John Wall come to UK. Once UK fans started making posts on Devilsillustrated.com about how they were the greatest and how Calipari was a better coach than Coach K and how John Wall would never go to Duke, only then they did they get a little upset with UK. The moderators began banning the bad UK posters and ever since, life has been good on the website again. The UK-Duke rivalry is way more intense on the UK side than the Duke side and that is a fact. So I guess Devilsillustrated has all the info on UK fans as well. Thanks for that. I'll have to check it out so I can find out what else every UK fan thinks, wears to bed at night, and eats. I'm glad that Duke fans, and I guess for that matter, fans of every other program are superior to idiotic UK fans who all think exactly alike. :thumb:
December 25, 200916 yr I've actually been to Duke camps for 3 years awhile back. They really could care less about UK. I'm sure they would like the matchup but wouldn't consider it a rival game by any means... Maybe if it were to be played every year and have some good games in there they would start to think of it as one... but UNC and partly Maryland are their rivals, nobody else. NC State since they are so close but not really considered a rival. That's where I get my information. :thumb: It's great to know that a top tier program like Duke doesn't have many rivalries.
December 25, 200916 yr Maybe it's not a true rivalry but the teams have put together a nice history of games. I don't see how this could be bad for either team and it would be a huge draw and great for television.
December 25, 200916 yr How about a UK, Duke, UNC & Kansas pre-Christmas double header each year and rotate opponents?
December 25, 200916 yr I get a laugh out of the people on here claiming that a rivalry exist only in the minds of UK fans or that Duke could care less about UK... Fact is I've lived in NC for 5 years and I will tell you without a doubt Duke fans do care about UK and there is a dislike on both sides, I've said it on here before but while I lived there I had a friend get his front bumper and his UK license plate vandalized by an obvious Duke fan and it didn't take to many trips to local sports bars to see that UK wasn't liked by UNC or Duke fans. That’s the facts that I've seen with my own eyes on their turf, and personally I place more stock in that than what some Duke fan says that has probably lived in KY their whole life and probably only became a Duke fan for the sole purpose of being different or to drive those around them crazy... Just my two cents...
December 25, 200916 yr How about a UK, Duke, UNC & Kansas pre-Christmas double header each year and rotate opponents? That's a great idea, I for one would love to see those matchups...
December 25, 200916 yr So I guess Devilsillustrated has all the info on UK fans as well. Thanks for that. I'll have to check it out so I can find out what else every UK fan thinks, wears to bed at night, and eats. I'm glad that Duke fans, and I guess for that matter, fans of every other program are superior to idiotic UK fans who all think exactly alike. :thumb: I get my info from UK fans while living in KY. All I have to do is wear one of my Duke shirts or sweatshirts out in public and I'll quickly be reminded by friends and strangers how much UK fans don't like Duke. I'd have laryngitis if I said something to every person I saw wearing a UK shirt or sweatshirt. My favorite comment "You need to take the D and the E off of that shirt so it'll say UK" Ha Ha. My reply "then it wouldn't spell a whole word" Ha Ha. As far as the whole "superior" thing....I have hated UK because that is the exact attitude a majority, not all UK fans, but a majority have had as long as I have been alive and living in KY. It's always been a "we're better than you, we have more championships than you, we have more wins than you, we are just better than you attitude" that is in a majority of UK fans, not all UK fans, but a majority. Your experiences may be different but these are my experiences which have shaped my hatred for UK basketball. At the very least, Louisville would play home and home against WKU(I grew up in Bowling Green) so I could see a top notch Div-I team play every other year. UK(scared I suppose) never played WKU and that played a part in my hatred for UK as well(too good or too scared to play an in state team?). Louisville wasn't scared and as a result, WKU leads the series with Louisville 39-34. UK scared of that same fate? I have been waiting 35 years on answer for that one. I even attended school at UK and still couldn't root for the basketball team. I for one would welcome a Duke-UK game. Beating you guys would just go on to show that we have been the better program since 1990. I enjoy validation. As for the idiotic fan thing....there are idiot fans in every program. Quit trying to play the victim when we all know their are idiots rooting for every team. I know all UK fans aren't alike. Goodness gracious. I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas. I get a laugh out of the people on here claiming that a rivalry exist only in the minds of UK fans or that Duke could care less about UK... Fact is I've lived in NC for 5 years and I will tell you without a doubt Duke fans do care about UK and there is a dislike on both sides, I've said it on here before but while I lived there I had a friend get his front bumper and his UK license plate vandalized by an obvious Duke fan and it didn't take to many trips to local sports bars to see that UK wasn't liked by UNC or Duke fans. That’s the facts that I've seen with my own eyes on their turf, and personally I place more stock in that than what some Duke fan says that has probably lived in KY their whole life and probably only became a Duke fan for the sole purpose of being different or to drive those around them crazy... Just my two cents... You hit the nail on the head with me. I never truly could gravitate to Louisville. WKU was the home team, but everyone needs a major school to root for. I became a Duke fan in the 1990-1991 season when they beat UNLV. At the time I was a closet Duke fan, kind of like how some of my co workers call me a closet UK fan now, because no one liked Duke so I had no one to talk Duke basketball with. The mere mention of Duke usually brought a stream of expletives and then the conversation was changed. I was a big fan of Bobby Hurley because I had always been a point guard and I loved the way he played even though he looked like he had no business on the court. I loved Christian Laettner because he was simply a great player who like Hurley didn't look like he had any business on the curt but he got it done time after time and if you can't respect Laettner and what he did as a college basketball player, then well, you just have a lot of hatred in your heart. My closest friends knew I liked Duke and after "The Shot" if you didn't know me you could say I came out of the closet or jumped on the bandwagon if you didn't know me, but I could care less. I was in high school then and have been an ardent Duke fan since then. As for the rest of your post, I never said Duke fans liked UK. I said they aren't as concerned with UK as UK is with Duke. I think UNC fans hate UK more than Duke fans do, but yes, of course Duke fans hate UK. I guess as a Duke fan living in KY I hear it more from the UK side with people relentlessly dogging Coach K, Christian Laettner/Brian Davis, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, Jay Williams, WoJo, Shane Battier, Corey Maggette and the 99 Final Four, Chris Duhon and his little brother, Coach K's inability to recruit 1 and done superstars, etc etc...... and when I get together with Duke fans whether it be in person or on the internet, they aren't as passionate with their hatred of UK as UK is with Duke. That's all I was saying.
December 25, 200916 yr It's great to know that a top tier program like Duke doesn't have many rivalries. UNC and Maryland are probably the biggest two. If I had to guess next would be NC State and Wake Forest most likely. I would think that UK is probably next on the list, but it wouldn't surprise me if the entire Duke fan base was polled that UK would be right behind Maryland. Losing Patterson and Wall to UK could very well have an effect on how many Duke fans feel about UK. At the same time....you aren't going find many schools with the same number of rivalries as UK. Most places only have 1 or 2 rivalries anyways. How many rivalries should a top tier program like Duke have anyways? They play at least 4 huge rivalry games every year since they play UNC and Maryland twice in the regular season and then possibly again in the ACC Tournament as well.
December 25, 200916 yr How many real rivalries does UK have? Louisville and Indiana are the top two, IMO. Since they play UNC every year, and they're often regarded as the top two programs, I'd include them. After that, who do they have? There's a carousel of SEC teams depending no which ones are on an upswing. I suppose Tennessee, being a border state, is consistently considered a rival. But, what about Florida? They're a rival right now, but they weren't in the past. Arkansas? They used to be, but not any more. A rival, IMO, is a team that both fan bases are passionate about beating, thus its a big game, no matter what the records are or how good the teams are, and a team that you play regularly. I'd say UK has four...U of L, IU, UNC and Tennessee. JMO
December 25, 200916 yr A better choice would be the Georgia Dome. About the same distance for both teams and a good venue. Not sure Coach K would want to play in Rupp South:D
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.