Kelsey Sorrell Memorial Basketball Tournament

Saw this on Ryan Ernst Blog. Anybody have more information on who else might be playing? This is a really worthwhile event hope they have a great turnout for this.

If your team is out of football contention, or if you’re just itching for basketball season to get started, here’s a date to mark on your calendar: Nov. 21.

That’s the day of the Kelsey Sorrell Memorial Basketball Tournament at Simon Kenton. The slate of scrimmages will end with defending state champion Holmes against George Rogers Clark. Both teams should be ranked in the top 10 in the state and both feature some pretty talented players: Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman and Jeremiah Johnson for Holmes and Robbie Stenzel and Vinny Zollo for Clark.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelsey was the daughter of CCH Freshman coach Steve Sorrell and brother of last year's senior Trevor. She passed two years ago in a car accident, a year out of high school from NDA. I believe she would have been the cousin of the Sorrell at Simon. Great family and great cause!

Nov. 21, That’s the day of the Kelsey Sorrell Memorial Basketball Tournament at Simon Kenton. The slate of scrimmages will end with defending state champion Holmes against George Rogers Clark. Both teams should be ranked in the top 10 in the state and both feature some pretty talented players: Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman and Jeremiah Johnson for Holmes and Robbie Stenzel and Vinny Zollo for Clark.

I knew we scrimmaged Holmes on that date, didn't know it was all day.

Some more players to watch for GRC. Travis Purvis, he is the kid that had to sit our with a torn ACL last year. He was just released by his Dr in Aug, so I don't look for him to be 100%. Another is Jaylan Daniels.

Does Holmes have any players that also play football? I know, we have Rogers, Dini, Curry and Skinner.

I knew we scrimmaged Holmes on that date, didn't know it was all day.

Some more players to watch for GRC. Travis Purvis, he is the kid that had to sit our with a torn ACL last year. He was just released by his Dr in Aug, so I don't look for him to be 100%. Another is Jaylan Daniels.

Does Holmes have any players that also play football? I know, we have Rogers, Dini, Curry and Skinner.

I can't speak to the entire roster, but none of the big dogs (Ricardo & Jerimiah Johnson, Pittman, Rice, Mayfield, McClendon) play football.

This the schedule for the Kelsey Sorrell Memorial held at Simon Kenton on Saturday November 21st. JV plays in auxillary gym while Varsity plays in the main gym.

9:00 am St. Henry vs Campbell Co

10:30 Cooper vs Newport

12:00 Dixie vs Cov Cath

1:30 Simon Kenton vs. Oak Hill

3:00 Beechwood vs Fleming Co.

4:30 Holy Cross vs Lewis Co.

6:00 Simon Kenton Lady Pioneers vs TBA

7:30 Scott vs Colerain

9:00 Clark Co vs Holmes

• 3 weeks later...
This is a top notch event. Last year's tournament matched Holmes vs. Mason County in the premier game. They nailed it again this year with Clark Co. and Holmes. Should be a lot of fun.

GRC is really preparing for the post season with the schedule and scrimmages they have lined up this year. First scrimmage against the defending state champs. Basketball season is almost here....:ylsuper:

With this event taking place this weekend anyone be able to break down some key players for these games?

With this event taking place this weekend anyone be able to break down some key players for these games?

I will give you GRC's.

Football players just now getting back so I don't see Rogers starting ( he was starting center last year).This lineup has 2 returning starters in Zollo and Stenzel. Daniels came off the bench last year. Kindred did not play last year, injured foot. Purvis also did not play last year, torn ACL.

Here is my projected lineup:

G Kindred, 5'11 Sr

SG Stenzel, 6'4 Jr

C Daniels, 6'6 Jr

F Zollo, 6'9 Jr

F Purvis, 6'8 Jr

Subs:

C Rogers 6'4 Jr *

F Fatkin, 6'5 Soph

G Martin 5'10 Jr

G Vancleve, 5'10 Soph

G Skinner, 5'8 Jr *

F Dini 6'1 Jr *

C/F Wilson 6'5 Jr

F Whitton 6'2 Jr

* are players that just joined the team this week due to football.

Stenzel and Zollo have proven that they are D-1 material. Both are good 3 point shooters and team leaders. Stenzel is deadly at the free throw line. Purvis will take time to adjust to coming back from knee injury, but he will turn some heads this year. Good shooter and banger on the boards. Daniels is really athletic and can play many positions. Don't be suprised to see him playing G at some point. Kindred, is a very level headed player and will run the team. Can make the shot when needed.

Here is what Jody Demling of the CJ has to say on GRC:

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs...rk-county.html

Edited by gold sunrise
Add link