farawaycomet2

Who wins?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long has Thomas Flannery been a part of the coaching staff at West? I played against him in several sports from 6th grade up. He was a great athlete!

This is his second year I believe. I think he also coaches the track team, but that may have just been a one year thing.

When was the last time West Carter won the district championship?

I don't know if they ever have. I believe WC has only had one or two winning seasons, both in the 80's, and they didn't compete in district play those years.

I'm telling you right now, if anyone thinks this is going to be a run away by Russell, they are going to be surprised. This may very well be the best West Carter team ever.

I think WC has excellent team speed. I just don't think they have the numbers to beat Russell. 27 kids is tough to win with against really, really well coached teams like Russell. I think I'd take the 94 or 95 Comets team, which ever one made the playoffs as the best. I don't really think that we can compare stats as the two teams have played completely different types of schedules so far.

It's going to be a test for WC. This is as good of a shot as they have had to knock off Russell, I just think that with their youth they may have to crawl before they can walk. The best days are ahead for this group, especially if the numbers increase. As of today I'll take Russell 42 WC 24, I may be wrong, heck I'd even be glad to be wrong.

I will say one thing about this series, it does seem that Russell always starts off kind of slower when this game is @ WC, that should be to WC's advantage. WC cannot make this game bigger than it is. Russell is a great program, and has a good team, but this is not the usual Russell team. This team is beatable for them, so I would encourage them to play like its any other team.

This game comes down to Russell's offense vs. WC's defense. I think WC will get into the endzone a few times, not 40 points or anything somewhere between 12-24. If WC can stop or slow down the Wing T they will be able to compete and could have a great chance of winning. If they cannot, which has been the case over the years, Russell will put this game away quickly. WC will have to "Out-Russell" the Red Devils. They will have to play mistake free football and have very good defense.

Russell is avg. 22ppg while the Def is giving up 18ppg. All of the points allowed came from Ashland and Ironton. They have shut out three opp. They blanked East Carter, Boyd Co and Greenup Co. I think West will have some trouble scoring.

West Carter has only given up 35 points in the four games they have played. Not bad. But the strength of schedule isn't anything to brag about. Playing Bath Co, East Carter, Nicholas Co and Fairview. They are avg. 24 ppg. The game is being played at West. That will help WC some. But I think with the schedule Russell has played can only help in the trenches. They have been in some tough battles this year. While West Carter is a good team. I don't think at the end of the game West will be able to stop Russell. Should be a hard fought game. I'll take Russell by 6 in a low scoring game.

But if Russell doesn't come out with it's A game West Carter could pull this one out. Good luck to both teams.

Russell is avg. 22ppg while the Def is giving up 18ppg. All of the points allowed came from Ashland and Ironton. They have shut out three opp. They blanked East Carter, Boyd Co and Greenup Co. I think West will have some trouble scoring.

West Carter has only given up 35 points in the four games they have played. Not bad. But the strength of schedule isn't anything to brag about. Playing Bath Co, East Carter, Nicholas Co and Fairview. They are avg. 24 ppg. The game is being played at West. That will help WC some. But I think with the schedule Russell has played can only help in the trenches. They have been in some tough battles this year. While West Carter is a good team. I don't think at the end of the game West will be able to stop Russell. Should be a hard fought game. I'll take Russell by 6 in a low scoring game.

But if Russell doesn't come out with it's A game West Carter could pull this one out. Good luck to both teams.

You said exactly what I was thinking. This is a good measuring stick game for West Carter. If they aspire to compete for a district championship this is the type of game you have to win obviously. It's nice to beat Nicholas Co. and Bath Co., etc., but those teams with all due respect aren't on the level that Mason or Russell are consistently on.

This is his second year I believe. I think he also coaches the track team, but that may have just been a one year thing.

I don't know if they ever have. I believe WC has only had one or two winning seasons, both in the 80's, and they didn't compete in district play those years.

I think WC has excellent team speed. I just don't think they have the numbers to beat Russell. 27 kids is tough to win with against really, really well coached teams like Russell. I think I'd take the 94 or 95 Comets team, which ever one made the playoffs as the best. I don't really think that we can compare stats as the two teams have played completely different types of schedules so far.

It's going to be a test for WC. This is as good of a shot as they have had to knock off Russell, I just think that with their youth they may have to crawl before they can walk. The best days are ahead for this group, especially if the numbers increase. As of today I'll take Russell 42 WC 24, I may be wrong, heck I'd even be glad to be wrong.

I will say one thing about this series, it does seem that Russell always starts off kind of slower when this game is @ WC, that should be to WC's advantage. WC cannot make this game bigger than it is. Russell is a great program, and has a good team, but this is not the usual Russell team. This team is beatable for them, so I would encourage them to play like its any other team.

This game comes down to Russell's offense vs. WC's defense. I think WC will get into the endzone a few times, not 40 points or anything somewhere between 12-24. If WC can stop or slow down the Wing T they will be able to compete and could have a great chance of winning. If they cannot, which has been the case over the years, Russell will put this game away quickly. WC will have to "Out-Russell" the Red Devils. They will have to play mistake free football and have very good defense.

Does anybody have any history on WC before the 1990 season. What is the most wins WC has had in the season, and was the 4-7 team the best team in there history? I think this team they have this year could be the best by far.

Does anybody have any history on WC before the 1990 season. What is the most wins WC has had in the season, and was the 4-7 team the best team in there history? I think this team they have this year could be the best by far.

I believe the record at West is 8 wins. It was '87 or '88.

I think if WC can hold Russell to three scores the ball game is theirs. WC will have no problem scoring on Russell due to the speed factor. I look for special teams to be a factor in this game also. WC has scored TDs on special teams against Russell the past few years. Russell is not going to modify anything they do for almost any team and definitely not WC, thats fine if you have superior athletes. Thats just not the case this year in this match up Friday night.