Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Latest UK Stuff

Featured Replies

Lexington TV stations are reporting it now on the 11:00 news.

 

I've seen plenty of sources now. I was just curious which sources were being used when the thread was started.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a member of TBK and Maggard called me retarded because I said Pilgrim wouldn't make the NBA. He gets on my nerve sometimes and so do the butt kissers on there. I do like the info and some of the guys on there but the Jones vs. Maggard battle is making them both look like teenage girls fighting over a boy(UK).

 

 

I can see from my short time visiting that site that whatever Maggard thinks is right...in his mind. There is no other way but his. I do not visit his site often anymore and I'm VERY GLAD I didn't decide to become a paid member of his site.

Isn't that the nature of being on the road from April to August? Right now there is a riff among scouts in Knight and Barnes. I've heard some of the most respected guys trashing others for picking the one that wasn't their guy.

 

Heck I had Van Coleman say to someone I was clueless because I said watching 15U was hard to evaluate properly because you simply don't know what kid is going to shoot up 4 or 5 inches before the next time you see him a year later.

 

Matt Jones is an idiot. Been around him enought times to know that's true.

 

Maggard has an arrogance about him that can be hard to take, but he does know a ton of people in the game. I'm from a different mold, but if you hang around him at an event you know he has been doing this a long time and knows everyone from all levels.

 

It's why I laugh about Jody Demling never getting any heat. Jody is out there doing the work, but he's just looking for a few qoutes and is often WAY off in evaluating talent. He said Adreian Payne was a "beast I wouldn't want mad at me" last week. Maybe the most absurd recruiting evaluation I have ever seen, and that includes Maggard hyping Pilgrim as a sure fire 1st round pick...

 

Here's my take on a few of these things.

If you are a scout for a service, report what you see. Let people know what you see, can the kid play what are strengths what are weaknesses...list the schools recruiting him. If a school is using your service let them know what is going on...

Who cares if a kid is rated number one in a class. It is easy to identify who is really really good. If you watch enough of those types you can tell who is really the cream of the crop. Typically there is not much separation amongst the top 5-25 kids. Top 50-100 guys are crap shoots. You will have your elite guys and you will have those 5 star kids. Big men and guards and wings can all be judged differently...etc.

Judging younger talent can be a crapshoot...simply because they are so young. Does their game evolve, are they just more skilled at an earlier age. Games can develop, bodies can develop, etc. I think you can eyeball a kid and tell if there is some growth in a kid. Look at body shape, feet, length, and so forth...I think you can get an idea what that kid may develop into physically if you see them enough.

My issue with Maggard, and I bet he works at it and is connected...sometimes too connected. For example, he was terribly off on the Hobodrunk issue at UK because he was so tight with Jeremy Cox. He has pushed Pilgrim for over a year and a half...even you (GT) were suspect of it. Many people ran with his evaluation of him and made the kid out to something he probably isnt. It became his guy, his find, and it all came tumbling down. It makes him look bad and now he is firing from left field. Not many remember this but he also did the same thing with Josh Carrier coming out of high school. He is also doing it with Vinny Zollo, even though that has quieted down some, who I think will turn out to be a very nice player. He has gone out of his way to trash his high school coach and so forth, when Zollo was not putting up big numbers.

Now Matt Jones is not any better...but MM should just let him go...he is the one who evaluates and stands the most to lose because people are paying for his info and he is on a bad run right now. He used to say that talking with the player is not the best way to get the true info about their recruitment. Yet he fell for it. I even had a running PM with him over the whole Hobodrunk/Fired/Not fired...he said he was talking to players and they had heard nothing, when in fact those kids were clearly putting on a face for the media...He swore they werent. Same thing with Pilgrim...probably getting fed info from Pilgrim and ran with it...was not getting the other side of it. Look at Barton...the kid was saying everything favorable for UK as was one other. I had heard there was a package deal (push to have both attend same school) with his brother to a school in the ACC...Memphis ended up winning that one...it came as a shock to MM. If you have any contrasting info, he degrades you.

As for Demling, he is a reporter, he probably gets less info than the scouts and just runs with things...what he does do is keep the free info flowing.

No argument there LABS. That's why I said my style is a lot different than Marc, Matt, Jody and most of the rest.

 

I have watched All Ohio Red right next to Jody and he claims Adreian Payne is "someone you don't want mad at you". Could very well be the worst player evaluation ever...

I must be missing out on alot of stuff. I have no clue what any of these websites are or who these people are. Anyone care to pm me some links?

I've had several disagreements with him about Pilgrim. He's sees something I don't in the kid. I was with him on Memorial Day when he heard he was likely out the door, and he was less than happy about it. Funny thing is I felt the same way about Pilgrim's brother a few years back. I wasn't going to be fooled twice there...

 

I remember watching Mike play in HS. Sat near some personnel from UCLA who were evaluating him.

 

I wasn't impressed. I had a hard time believing Matt Pilgrim was as dominant as people acted. Just something that was blown out of proportion via message boards, blogs, twitter updates, facebook statuses, and maybe, just maybe, good ole fashioned word of mouth.

I remember watching Mike play in HS. Sat near some personnel from UCLA who were evaluating him.

 

I wasn't impressed. I had a hard time believing Matt Pilgrim was as dominant as people acted. Just something that was blown out of proportion via message boards, blogs, twitter updates, facebook statuses, and maybe, just maybe, good ole fashioned word of mouth.

 

No greater advertising than "word of mouth"

There are reports that Kevin Galloway and Matt Pilgrim will be transferring from Kentucky.

 

The best news I've heard today is that Jodie Meeks will be returning.

 

:dancingpa

 

Best not to count your chickens before they hatch! :thumb:

  • Author
Best not to count your chickens before they hatch! :thumb:

 

You win some, you lose some. I guess he decided to follow his heart rather than his head.:idunno:

You win some, you lose some. I guess he decided to follow his heart rather than his head.:idunno:

 

Smart choice would have been to come back but sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

  • Author
Smart choice would have been to come back but sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

 

I hope it works out well for him, but it may be a hard road if he isn't a first-rounder.

The first post in this thread is quite funny now :lol:. Sorry Wireman.

  • Author
The first post in this thread is quite funny now :lol:. Sorry Wireman.

 

Yep, I was wrong.

Any chance UK lands Noel Johnson?

I don't know anything about his shooting abilities, just wondering though.

  • Author

There is a rumor circulating that we may be getting a Chinese player. :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.