Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic/Beechwood 9th region Final Predictions

Who wins the 9th Region Championship Game? 92 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 9th Region Championship Game?

    • Beechwood
      18%
      17
    • Covington Catholic
      81%
      75

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

What time is the game tonight?

 

I believe 7:00.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I believe 7:00.

 

:thumb:

From my spot, it was hard to say strike or ball, it was that close!

 

Question!

 

The play at the plate that the Conner catcher tagged out the Beechwood runner, I didn't understand. I thought it should have been called obstruction and the runner ruled safe!

 

The catcher clearly didn't have the ball and from my spot, and it didn't look like to me at least, the catcher gave the runner a chance to slide into home plate. As I understand the rule, the catcher without the ball, must give the runner a place to slide into the plate/any base. Anybody?

 

IMO the plate was blocked prior to ball getting there. I was on the third base side and had a good side view of the play. I was not as close as the umpire but pretty sure I could see the ball wasnt quite there yet! I'm not real sure on the official ruling what the catcher can and cannot do? But the runner from what I could see didn't appear to reach home plate and was blocked out all together. Someone will have to tell me what the ruling is on how soon you can block the runner from plate if there is a ruling at all without the ball?

IMO the plate was blocked prior to ball getting there. I was on the third base side and had a good side view of the play. I was not as close as the umpire but pretty sure I could see the ball wasnt quite there yet! I'm not real sure on the official ruling what the catcher can and cannot do? But the runner from what I could see didn't appear to reach home plate and was blocked out all together. Someone will have to tell me what the ruling is on how soon you can block the runner from plate if there is a ruling at all without the ball?

 

The ruling is clear. A player cannot block a base prior to having possession of the ball. The challenge for the umpire is to define "block." A defender can leave a small portion of the base and that is OK. However, as in last night's play, the defender cannot completely block the base prior to having the ball. You can in the bigs and probably in college but definitely not in high school. If the umpire deemed there to be a violation the run would have counted.

 

Its not just at home. That rule applies to all bases.

 

Bob Hoffmeyer spent too much time arguing with the umps when the umps were right vs when he had a legit game-changing argument.

The ruling is clear. A player cannot block a base prior to having possession of the ball. The challenge for the umpire is to define "block." A defender can leave a small portion of the base and that is OK. However, as in last night's play, the defender cannot completely block the base prior to having the ball. You can in the bigs and probably in college but definitely not in high school. If the umpire deemed there to be a violation the run would have counted.

 

Its not just at home. That rule applies to all bases.

 

Bob Hoffmeyer spent too much time arguing with the umps when the umps were right vs when he had a legit game-changing argument.

 

Thanks for the explanation. I too was surprised Coach Myerhoff did not argue the call. But he did not have a very goos angle from the coaches box. IMO obstruction could have been called on this play based on your explanation.

When is the State Championship played in baseball. What is likely the very last day the State Championship can be played. Go Cov Cath!!!

I will go beyond the game predictions and say there is a Beechwood player that win or lose this game may deserve at least a consideration as tourney MVP. It is rare that a player from the losing team (If BW loses) gets a nod as the tourney or game MVP. # 18 (a sophmore) pitched 6 solid innings against HHS Monday with a hit or two I think. He had 2 or 3 more hits last night, starting both rally's in the 5th and 7th while scoring both times. I may be in the minority here, but Beechwood is not playing tonight with out his play.

 

Ets Factor on his soapbox

 

Not too familiar with how everyone has done but there is a ball player from Catholic, #21 I think, who will be playing some ball next year on the college level. He deserves some recognition as well.

 

Ets Factor off his soapbox

:thumb:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.