May 26, 200917 yr That would take alot more than 5 years to begin to match the longevity of some of the ones mentioned. Cueto is pretty good now but imo not even in the class (and probably will never be) of the likes of some mentioned in this thread. How can you be so sure? He's already shown he has dominant stuff; it's just a matter of him maturing and keeping his head on straight. To say what you say so definitively, you would have to be privvy to some inside info. Are you longtime buddies with Johnny and haven't told us about it? And Guidry and Gullett, while great pitchers, certainly didn't have longevity going for them either.
May 26, 200917 yr Although I can't remember watching Koufax, he would be my 2nd choice behind Gibson. Ron Guidry, Don Gullet or Steve Carlton woud be other names that may come to mind. I'll stick Bob Gibson though, the man defined the term "that's nasty" before it was a term. I've seen all of those you mentioned. Bob Gibson would still be better. Tim McCarver said no one could tell Gibson how to pitch. Sometime when he would go to the mound to talk to him and Gibson would run him off. If you hit a home run against him the next batter new the next pitch was coming at him.
May 26, 200917 yr That would take alot more than 5 years to begin to match the longevity of some of the ones mentioned. Cueto is pretty good now but imo not even in the class (and probably will never be) of the likes of some mentioned in this thread. What I see happening is when he reaches his prime years, 28-35 he will be to expensive for the Reds to keep. That means he ends up a Yankee or a Red Sox. Barring injuries sky is the limit for this young man. For a franchise that will have by then a 300 to 400 million dollar payroll. I'd be interested to look at the comparable stats after this year between Cueto and the Hall of Famers.
May 28, 200917 yr Jose Rijo compeletely dominated the 1990 World Series and nobody has mentioned his name? I'll be a homer and take Rijo.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.