Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tyler Going Pro ???

Featured Replies

If the dad and the kid play their cards right this young man will get a MUCH better real world education in Europe than he would sitting in class and going to senior prom. The chance to travel abroad, do what he loves, and get paid to do it........... I don't blame him one bit. Can you imagine going to visit Stonehedge rather than just reading about it in a history book? The educational opportunities are limitless.

The NBA needs an alternative plan for young men who have no interest in going to college. One year removed from high school is the dumbest rule I have ever heard of.

They should take a lesson from baseball and put some effort into developing a minor league system so kids don't have to go overseas.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What happens when he gets over there and has a career-ending injury (not likely, but possible)? Then he has no basketball, and not even a high school diploma... I just don't get the point of not graduating from high school.

 

He can always go back to school. He can't always make money playing basketball.

If something like this were to happen he may actually be a much better and more focused student the 2nd time around because of his life experiences.

What happens when he gets over there and has a career-ending injury (not likely, but possible)? Then he has no basketball, and not even a high school diploma... I just don't get the point of not graduating from high school.

 

Then he goes back and gets his GED.

 

My first thought was that this kid is an idiot. Someone mentioned that people drop out of school for way worse reasons than this and I agree completely.

 

Don't hate the kid, hate the system that allows you to do such.

Then he goes back and gets his GED.

 

My first thought was that this kid is an idiot. Someone mentioned that people drop out of school for way worse reasons than this and I agree completely.

 

Don't hate the kid, hate the system that allows you to do such.

 

I don't hate the kid at all. Maybe I'm just not understanding what the difference would be in him leaving high school a year early, or staying and graduating.

What happens when he gets over there and has a career-ending injury (not likely, but possible)? Then he has no basketball, and not even a high school diploma... I just don't get the point of not graduating from high school.

 

He can't make his decisions based on the possibility of injury.

 

As has already been stated, he could go back or get his GED, then go to college.

 

What if he suffers a career-ending injury in high school next year? Is U of L still going to pay his way for an education?

 

Bad argument.

I don't hate the kid at all. Maybe I'm just not understanding what the difference would be in him leaving high school a year early, or staying and graduating.

 

He's going to make a heck of a lot of money playing basketball. As I was typing that, I realized how sweet that actually is. Making money for playing basketball. He can always go back to school.

I don't hate the kid at all. Maybe I'm just not understanding what the difference would be in him leaving high school a year early, or staying and graduating.

 

The difference is that he gets an extra year playing against better competition and getting paid to do so. In two years of European ball, he'll enter the draft more prepared for the NBA.

 

That's the point. If you're sure this is the course you're taking, it makes no sense to stay, IMO.

This idea is a lot more taboo to us because the way our school system and collegiate athletics work for basketball and football.

 

What is the NBA rule on age requirements and being removed from high school?

 

I assume he can enroll in a school in Europe.

 

I would rather him do this than make a mockery of our collegiate system by going to a school for one season with no intentions of ever finishing just because the NBA requires you to do so. Main reason I never fault Brandon Jennings' decision.

FWIW, there is no way this becomes the norm with high schoolers.
While it may not become the norm, it is not a coincidence this is two seasons in a row a kid has opted for Europe. I would not be suprised to see more kids do it. On some level, I admire them for doing it.
While it may not become the norm, it is not a coincidence this is two seasons in a row a kid has opted for Europe. I would not be suprised to see more kids do it. On some level, I admire them for doing it.

 

I agree, but if it starts to become more and more popular there will be rules put in place to keep them in the states.

 

The "must go to college for a year" rule is awful.

While it may not become the norm, it is not a coincidence this is two seasons in a row a kid has opted for Europe. I would not be suprised to see more kids do it. On some level, I admire them for doing it.

 

:thumb:

 

I think there will be guys who do this. But, I can't see a mass exodus occurring. That's still a huge move and a tough one to make. Going the USA route is the safer play. I'd say most will still take that.

I agree, but if it starts to become more and more popular there will be rules put in place to keep them in the states.

 

The "must go to college for a year" rule is awful.

 

They can't make any rules to keep them in the states. The NBA can't stop this route, IMO. And, they only have themselves to blame for it happening in the first place.

I don't hate the kid at all. Maybe I'm just not understanding what the difference would be in him leaving high school a year early, or staying and graduating.

 

He can make money & play basketball. He may be able to enter the draft earlier.

 

He can travel Europe. He can gain great experience by playing against other professionals.

 

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the kid is not a model student. I'd imagine him not having to focus on academics would also be a bonus to him.

This idea is a lot more taboo to us because the way our school system and collegiate athletics work for basketball and football.

 

What is the NBA rule on age requirements and being removed from high school?

 

I assume he can enroll in a school in Europe.

 

I would rather him do this than make a mockery of our collegiate system by going to a school for one season with no intentions of ever finishing just because the NBA requires you to do so. Main reason I never fault Brandon Jennings' decision.

 

You can't enter the draft until the senior class you graduated with, or would have graduated with, is one year removed from graduation.

 

That wording basically prevents any high school kid from entering the draft until one year after high school.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.