Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

6A Sleepers

Featured Replies

We all know that Trinity and St.X will be in the thick of it next season and in all likelihood one of the two is the favorite and may well end up winning the title next season.

 

That out of the way, which teams have the opportunity and the ability to step up and knock down one of these titans next season?

 

Is Male, with everything they have returning capable?

Is Simon Kenton with their stud running back returning a contender?

Will another year under Coach Jackson turn Ballard into a powerhouse?

Will Manual finally break through the ceiling and take down the Tigers?

 

What do the 6A observers think?

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw in 2 cents.

Is Male, with everything they have returning capable?

I don't think so. There line woes continue and it has been a few years since they had the QB to get the ball to their abundance of skill players.

 

 

Is Simon Kenton with their stud running back returning a contender?

SK finished the regular season 6-4 in '08 and got on a roll in the playoffs. I believe Ryle/Boone will be ahead of them in 2009.

 

Will another year under Coach Jackson turn Ballard into a powerhouse?

Ballard was a powerhouse in the mid 80's when Bob Redmon was on the sidelines. They have been nothing more than an also-ran since Redmon left and I look for that to continue.

 

Will Manual finally break through the ceiling and take down the Tigers?

I like Manual as the one team that can take down Trinity/X. They have the talent and I think Nichols is one of the better coaches in Ky.

We all know that Trinity and St.X will be in the thick of it next season and in all likelihood one of the two is the favorite and may well end up winning the title next season.

 

That out of the way, which teams have the opportunity and the ability to step up and knock down one of these titans next season?

Is Male, with everything they have returning capable?

Is Simon Kenton with their stud running back returning a contender?

Will another year under Coach Jackson turn Ballard into a powerhouse?

Will Manual finally break through the ceiling and take down the Tigers?

 

What do the 6A observers think?

 

I hate to be the negative nelly, but none of these teams have a shot of touching X or T.

 

If we are looking for who will be number 3, I think a team that has a shot is Scott County. Coach McKee always has those guys ready. I hope that one of the Lexington teams can step up as well.

  • Author
I hate to be the negative nelly, but none of these teams have a shot of touching X or T.

 

If we are looking for who will be number 3, I think a team that has a shot is Scott County. Coach McKee always has those guys ready. I hope that one of the Lexington teams can step up as well.

 

The Lexington teams have really been a disappointment over the years. I honestly feel as though there have been a number of Lexington squads who had the talent to bring down both T and X. I never have understood why they couldn't get over that hump.

We all know that Trinity and St.X will be in the thick of it next season and in all likelihood one of the two is the favorite and may well end up winning the title next season.

 

That out of the way, which teams have the opportunity and the ability to step up and knock down one of these titans next season?

 

Is Male, with everything they have returning capable?

Is Simon Kenton with their stud running back returning a contender?

Will another year under Coach Jackson turn Ballard into a powerhouse?

Will Manual finally break through the ceiling and take down the Tigers?

 

What do the 6A observers think?

 

Don't forget Bryan Station is 6A now. I don't know the 6A schedule,but if X and T play them they will have their hands full. :scared:

Don't forget Bryan Station is 6A now. I don't know the 6A schedule,but if X and T play them they will have their hands full. :scared:

 

I'm completely not buying Bryan Station as a contender. Since 1999 they continually get less out of their talent than anyone in Lexington. No one produces D-1 talent like Station and then underperforms. They play one good half against Highlands and then everyone jumps on the band wagon.

Please allow me answer your questions with a couple of my own. What School in 6A had the most wins next to T/X? What School beat both Male and Ballard last season? What School beat every team on its schedule, except the 6A State Champs? Answer these and you might find the most logical candidate.

It remains to be seen how it will develop, but Henry Clay has scary speed and talent in the skilled positions. I can't imagine another team having close to the speed to match what Henry Clay can put on the field.

 

They are coming off a tough season, but are oozing with young talent on this year's squad.

Henry Clay does have a lot of skill talent. But much like Male, who do they have at QB that can get the ball to those skill players?

Bryan Station would be an obvious sleeper choice to me with their near upset of Highlands at Highlands last year.

  • Author
Bryan Station would be an obvious sleeper choice to me with their near upset of Highlands at Highlands last year.

 

 

How many players do they have coming back and how well do they pass the ball?

 

A passing game is a necessity for a team not named St.X to win the title in 6A.

NKY 6A should be strong this year... the top NKY 6A team should have as good a chance as any other 6A team to mount a challenge to the Big Two in 2009.

How many players do they have coming back and how well do they pass the ball?

 

A passing game is a necessity for a team not named St.X to win the title in 6A.

 

Very very true. I really do not know about Station's passing game as I live up in NKY. Only Conner and Ryle up this way have started to get serious about developing a great passing game that can help you to win a big game, but I would not consider either of them a sleeper for getting to Houchens Stadium.

NKY 6A should be strong this year... the top NKY 6A team should have as good a chance as any other 6A team to mount a challenge to the Big Two in 2009.

 

I'll agree with the first part of your statement. 6A will indeed be strong and very competitive in NKY this year. But none of those teams are going to be capable of mounting any serious challenge to either of the Louisville monster duo. You need a balanced offense AND a very strong defense to play with those two and I'm not aware of anyone in NKY who will have both - at least not at the levels necessary to match up with those two.

I'll agree with the first part of your statement. 6A will indeed be strong and very competitive in NKY this year. But none of those teams are going to be capable of mounting any serious challenge to either of the Louisville monster duo. You need a balanced offense AND a very strong defense to play with those two and I'm not aware of anyone in NKY who will have both - at least not at the levels necessary to match up with those two.

I didn't say that a NKY 6A team would be able to mount a strong challenge to T/X, but rather that they had as good a chance as any other 6A team... frankly I don't see any other non-T/X 6A team out there with a better chance. Heck, a NKY 6A team made it to the state finals in 2008, beating Male (formerly of the Louisville Big Three) along the way!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.