April 7, 200917 yr I thought it would be interesting to see how the two former Reds sluggers did this year with their new teams. Griffey Jr. homered yesterday, his only hit and RBI in 3 AB's as the Mariners beat the Twins 6-1 Adam Dunn went 2-4 with a homer and 4 RBI as the Nats lost to the Marlins 12-6.
April 7, 200917 yr I thought it would be interesting to see how the two former Reds sluggers did this year with their new teams. Griffey Jr. homered yesterday, his only hit and RBI in 3 AB's as the Mariners beat the Twins 6-1 Adam Dunn went 2-4 with a homer and 4 RBI as the Nats lost to the Marlins 12-6. When Dunn is going good which is usually only 3 to 5 games in a row at most, he is a great addition to any team. However when he is not hitting the homerun, he really does not help out to much. I hope he has a good year with the Nationals, however I know I am very happy that he is no longer a red.
April 7, 200917 yr I would have liked to have seen the Reds bring Dunn back. Could have had him really cheap and I still could have wore my two Dunn jerseys.
April 7, 200917 yr . However when he is not hitting the homerun, he really does not help out to much. . Really? Getting on base at a high clip doesn't help? Scoring runs doesn't help? 100 RBIs doesn't help? Or do you means "besides that?"
April 8, 200917 yr Really? Getting on base at a high clip doesn't help? Scoring runs doesn't help? 100 RBIs doesn't help? Or do you means "besides that?" Well lets see I think a majority of MLB GM's are kind of in an agreement with me, or atleast have other reasons for why Dunn was not really that coveted by many teams this year. I mean he was a free agent, and well a few of you on here make it sound like he is a great player. If he was he wouldn't be with the Nationals right now. He is an above average to slightly good player IMO.
April 8, 200917 yr Well lets see I think a majority of MLB GM's are kind of in an agreement with me, or atleast have other reasons for why Dunn was not really that coveted by many teams this year. I mean he was a free agent, and well a few of you on here make it sound like he is a great player. If he was he wouldn't be with the Nationals right now. He is an above average to slightly good player IMO. You're confusing contract demands with production. Since when do "slightly good" players put up 40/100/100 with a high OPS? You said all he does is hit homers. I pointed out the fallacy in your argument and you still say "slightly good?" Come on. It would make you look better if you just said "I don't like him" instead of "slightly good."
April 8, 200917 yr I would have liked to have seen the Reds bring Dunn back. I agree, Dunn would definatley had helped with his HR's and RBIs, OBP (walks). I don't think it is any stretch to say that te Reds need all the offensive help they can get, they can't score. I would have liked to see Dun anywhere but with the Nats, imo the worst team in all of MLB. I hope that both Griffey and Dunn have great seasons.
April 8, 200917 yr I agree, Dunn would definatley had helped with his HR's and RBIs, OBP (walks). I don't think it is any stretch to say that te Reds need all the offensive help they can get, they can't score. I would have liked to see Dun anywhere but with the Nats, imo the worst team in all of MLB. I hope that both Griffey and Dunn have great seasons. While I don't agree I certainly see why the Reds made the decision they did. They're trying to become the 1982 St Louis Cardinals and Dunn and his paycheck do not fit that plan.
April 8, 200917 yr You're confusing contract demands with production. Since when do "slightly good" players put up 40/100/100 with a high OPS? You said all he does is hit homers. I pointed out the fallacy in your argument and you still say "slightly good?" Come on. It would make you look better if you just said "I don't like him" instead of "slightly good." Its not that I don't like him, but I also didn't seem him as a guy that would help the Reds turn the corner. Your right maybe I shouldn't have said slightly good, however I don't think he is as good as some of you all on here make him out to be. I mean you all make him sound like is a guy every team should be wanting. If that was the case then contract demands or not, some big team with money would have definitely snagged him up. Unless maybe he is not as good as you all make him out to be.
April 8, 200917 yr Its not that I don't like him, but I also didn't seem him as a guy that would help the Reds turn the corner. Your right maybe I shouldn't have said slightly good, however I don't think he is as good as some of you all on here make him out to be. I mean you all make him sound like is a guy every team should be wanting. If that was the case then contract demands or not, some big team with money would have definitely snagged him up. Unless maybe he is not as good as you all make him out to be. His offense would be a definite improvement over the mess of a platoon the Reds are fielding in left field this season. As for the big market teams, it isn't as though they weren't interested--just that they already had people under contract in the positions that he can play. I know the Red Sox were very interested in him but already had Jason Bay and JD Drew on the corners in the outfield and Kevin Youkilis at first base. Had Mike Lowell not been recovering adequately from his hip surgery it is very likely Youkilis would have moved to third base and Dunn would have been signed for first base. He may not be the person you want to build an offense around but he would be a help to almost any offense in the big leagues. It will be interesting to add up the production of Dunn, Griffey and Keppinger vs. the production of Hairston, Tavares, and Dickerson this season.
April 8, 200917 yr Dunn in Boston would have been ridiculous. He would've hit 50 HR with that short porch, in that lineup.
April 8, 200917 yr His offense would be a definite improvement over the mess of a platoon the Reds are fielding in left field this season. As for the big market teams, it isn't as though they weren't interested--just that they already had people under contract in the positions that he can play. I know the Red Sox were very interested in him but already had Jason Bay and JD Drew on the corners in the outfield and Kevin Youkilis at first base. Had Mike Lowell not been recovering adequately from his hip surgery it is very likely Youkilis would have moved to third base and Dunn would have been signed for first base. He may not be the person you want to build an offense around but he would be a help to almost any offense in the big leagues. It will be interesting to add up the production of Dunn, Griffey and Keppinger vs. the production of Hairston, Tavares, and Dickerson this season. Well with how some people talk of Dunn on here, then he would be an improvement over Bay, and Drew. So if he was that good, you think they would have figured something out. You would have thought the Yankees, Angles, or any team that was looking for a bat this offseason would have got him. You would have thought any team who was even close to a contender would have wanted him. I bet he would have went to any team who was a contender if he had the chance, but the only team who made sure they got him was the Nationals. WOW! I mean I am not saying he is horrible, but I don't think he is as good as some people make him out to be. If he was he wouldn't be a National right now. Yeah if you compare Dunn to players in the outfield the Reds have now, yeah he has better numbers. However would having him make the Reds a better team? I would say no! We would be the same team as we have been in the past, and would be afraid to run and stuff, because wouldn't want to take a chance of getting an out with Dunn coming out. The team would be centered around waiting for the homerun ball again. How well has that done us over the years? It seemed like with Dunn, anytime we played a good team he didn't do anything. He seemed like he put up his numbers when going against bad teams or bad pitchers for the majority of the time. There is more to look at than just numbers when deciding if your team would be better off with that person or not. The Reds are better off without him IMO, and apparently a lot of other teams felt the same way.
April 8, 200917 yr Dunn in Boston would have been ridiculous. He would've hit 50 HR with that short porch, in that lineup. The short porch in right field is very misleading. The "Pesky Pole" is indeed only 302 feet from home plate. However, to hit a home run at that distance you really have to hook the ball around the pole like Varitek did on Opening Day. The first base stands jut out at almost a 90 degree angle from the pole to the left field bleachers. A homerun to straight away right that doesn't go around the pole really has to travel between 350-380 feet which is bigger than most ball parks. He hits a lot of no doubters that would be homeruns anywhere but the "Pesky Pole" would be unlikely to boost his homer total very much--now if he were to take advantage of hitting the ball off of and over the Monster in left, then he could really boost his stats. Here's a good diagram that shows what I'm talking about in right field:Fenway Dimension Chart
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.