EKU 49 Kentucky State 1

KY Thorobred

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I only read through the first inning. Seemed like a lot of errors and walks by Kentucky State. Unfortunate, but you can't keep your kids from running the bases [EKU] on errors and walks. Also, I think Kentucky State's record is 2-16...are they THAT bad!?

There are plenty of games every day in college and high school baseball in which a vastly superior team is mismatched against a much weaker opponent. I've NEVER seen a score like this - ever. It's disgraceful. There are absolutely ways to hold down a score and eventually yes, it does become appropriate to tell your kids to get out in the least obvious way as possible. What? It's more "respectful" to beat them by a horribly lop-sided football score than to intentionally find a way to end an inning? I would tell my hitters - who've already had ample opportunity to pointlessly pad their stats - to work on bat control and hit ground balls to the opposite side.

In ll honesty, I don't know what else can be done about scores this bad with schools that don't take the game as seriously as others. Before anyone gets all angry with me, please hear me out. I will be the first to say that a 49-1 score in college baseball shouldn't be anything that happens to a school but schools like Kentucky State need to just give up baseball or implement some players into the system that will take it seriously.

If you click on the link below, you will find the game-by-game stats for KSU this season as well as the team stats in another link.

Please don't think I am condoning a 49-1 beatdown but look at the scores of KSU against NCAA Division II schools...you could have seen something like this coming if you only knew what kind of program they have.

KSU Game-by-Game stats

KSU Team Cumulative stats

In ll honesty, I don't know what else can be done about scores this bad with schools that don't take the game as seriously as others. Before anyone gets all angry with me, please hear me out. I will be the first to say that a 49-1 score in college baseball shouldn't be anything that happens to a school but schools like Kentucky State need to just give up baseball or implement some players into the system that will take it seriously.

Eastern has absolutely no business scheduling them then. And yes, that works in reverse also. It's clear that KSU is not a very good team and they have taken some bad losses this year, but no one else felt the need to put a 7-TD beating on them. Simply because they can't play with a D1 school like EKU doesn't mean KSU should drop their baseball program, however.

I agree with the individual that said lets wait to see stats, "How can you tell players not to play?" I can remember playing a baseball game against one of the top teams in the state in HS and they were pounding us by 25 runs or so and then after like the 4th inning or so the opposing team just started quitting. I'm talking about just jogging in between bases to get out, and they made us even more upset. So I just don't see how telling a team to not play as hard is acceptable.

I agree with the individual that said lets wait to see stats, "How can you tell players not to play?" I can remember playing a baseball game against one of the top teams in the state in HS and they were pounding us by 25 runs or so and then after like the 4th inning or so the opposing team just started quitting. I'm talking about just jogging in between bases to get out, and they made us even more upset. So I just don't see how telling a team to not play as hard is acceptable.

The stats are posted. What do they tell you that you don't already know from the score? KSU was horribly overmatched. Everyone probably knew that going into the game and darn sure knew it leaving. 49 runs is ridiculous. That is an unnecessary beatdown and not what baseball, or college athletics, is about.

Notes from what I read today:

KSU coach not mad.

EKU began subbing in the first inning while scoring 22 runs.

EKU stopped stealing in the first inning after the leadoff man stole two bases.

Without seeing the game I can't tell if there were any wrong moves by EKU.

The only wrong move I know of is by the AD who scheduled this one.

Notes from what I read today:

KSU coach not mad.

EKU began subbing in the first inning while scoring 22 runs.

EKU stopped stealing in the first inning after the leadoff man stole two bases.

Without seeing the game I can't tell if there were any wrong moves by EKU.

The only wrong move I know of is by the AD who scheduled this one.

:thumb: This double header should have never been scheduled and the coaches showed good judgement in not playing the 2nd game. EKU's coach refused to take the forfeit win for the 2nd game.