Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Basketball

Featured Replies

Well, if I can recall correctly (Which I could be wrong), Darius Miller was the first Mr. Basketball that went to UK since 2002 (Brandon Stockton). Since then, Ross Neltner (LSU/Vandy), Chris Lofton (Tenn), Dominic Tilford (UC/South Alabama), Walt Allen (Presbyterian), and Steffphon Pettigrew (WKU) have won the prestigious award.

 

Hood wins hands down

 

How many of those you listed had not signed with a school before January? Darius Miller and Jon Hood both were commited to UK when the HS season started. No matter UK's success, the Big Blue following can present subconscious tendencies to favor commited prospects.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller won because he was better than every other senior.

 

I disagree, I think Mack and Hopson were better, and Arrez Henderson was either right there with him last season or maybe a step below him. I agree with what Grizzly said, signing a letter of intent to UK before the season starts will always garner a lot of support from the Kentucky supporters out there that have a vote. It is not right, but that's politics for you.

Is it decided before the sweet 16 or after it, because if one of the other top runners puts on a show they could get it.

 

Mr. Basketball is selected after the tournament. It's the AP which is selected before, and should actually be released within the next hour or so.

Hood was voted AP Player of the Year today

How many of those you listed had not signed with a school before January? Darius Miller and Jon Hood both were commited to UK when the HS season started. No matter UK's success, the Big Blue following can present subconscious tendencies to favor commited prospects.

 

None of those candidates since 2002 had any chance of signing with UK so how did they possibly win Mr Basketball? Nice theory, but when you go 5 straight years with no UK signees winning Mr Basketball, it sort of disproves it.

Hood is going to win and he probably is the best player this year. There's a handful of other good players like Phares and Sanford but let's not act like Hood isn't a great player too.

I am not saying Hood isn't the best player, but there is a lot other great players out there who probably deserve more consideration than they have gotten. I believe Vee Sanford and Richie Phares are solid D-1 players and CJ Penny and Russ Middleton just to name a few have had great senior seasons.

What are Hood's numbers for this year?

Is the Mr. Basketball award limited by rule or by tradition to a senior?

By any chance, did you see who won Mr.Basketball last season? Darius Miller, a UK signee. He was a great player last year, one of the determining factors on him receiving the Award was the school he was going to the next fall. I didn't think he was better than Hopson, Mack or Henderson but none of those boys went to UK and Miller did. I don't agree with it eithe, but it does go a long way to winning the award IMO. And there are some UK fans that think the program is just a year away from a National Title, it will take a lot for fans to come off of that cloud.

 

It didn't hurt Miller's chances when he led his team to a state title, either.

Is the Mr. Basketball award limited by rule or by tradition to a senior?

 

In most states it is not, but I do not know the rule for Kentucky. Just guessing I would say no, but seniors usually win it.

It didn't hurt Miller's chances when he led his team to a state title, either.

 

:thumb:

Is the Mr. Basketball award limited by rule or by tradition to a senior?

 

It is designated for seniors, not that it would matter this year so much, but it is for seniors only.

None of those candidates since 2002 had any chance of signing with UK so how did they possibly win Mr Basketball? Nice theory, but when you go 5 straight years with no UK signees winning Mr Basketball, it sort of disproves it.

 

Just trying out my theory, but those 5 years, what UK signees/recruits were good enough high school players to win KY's highest HS basketball honor? Jared Carter wasn't good enough. Was there anybody close? I don't know, I'm just asking. An old statement I'm sure, but it would have been interesting to see Indiana recruit Bud Mackey go up against UK signee Darius Miller in Mr. Basketball voting. I simply support the idea that no matter what Sanford or Phares did this year would be good enough to get out from under the shadow of the over-publicized Jon Hood. With that said, I think Hood's got them two beat in performance anyways.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.