Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County 55 Highlands 47

Featured Replies

  • Replies 75
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boone's press was the difference in the game. Highlands led 20-16 at the half and the Rebels scored 17 in the third quarter to take a 33-32 lead. Andrew Brown led all scorers with 18 points, he played a great game.

Andrew Brown did play a fantastic game for Boone Co. Congrats to the REbels for pulling off the big victory. I was not impressed with either team today but the Boone Co press in the 3rd really rattled Highlands. Turnovers against the press were key and not getting back on defense was another issue for Highlands.

 

McFarland came out in the 2nd half with a different intensity. I thought he made a very heady play on the saved ball that he threw the length of the court for the big Dunk.

 

FWIW the 2 male referees were garbage. They made atrocious calls during crucial moments in the game. For most of the game I thought the girl ref was pretty good until the end where the Birds tied up the ball and the bald ref had a clear shot of it and made the call. She comes running in with her proverbial slapping of her wrist as hard as she can calling a foul on Highlands. Just horrible !!

 

The 2nd charge called against Gordon was the biggest joke of the day. Earls was clearly sliding with him. Game changers if you ask me but the Rebels made their free throws in the end and deserved to win. I just hate to see referees decide a game or change the momentum of a tight ballgame.

 

Good Luck Rebels because you are certainly going to need some on Tuesday night.

^Complaining about the refs? Seriously?

 

There were missed calls on both sides. #44 for Highlands could have been called for throwing elbows several times.

Andrew Brown did play a fantastic game for Boone Co. Congrats to the REbels for pulling off the big victory. I was not impressed with either team today but the Boone Co press in the 3rd really rattled Highlands. Turnovers against the press were key and not getting back on defense was another issue for Highlands.

 

McFarland came out in the 2nd half with a different intensity. I thought he made a very heady play on the saved ball that he threw the length of the court for the big Dunk.

 

FWIW the 2 male referees were garbage. They made atrocious calls during crucial moments in the game. For most of the game I thought the girl ref was pretty good until the end where the Birds tied up the ball and the bald ref had a clear shot of it and made the call. She comes running in with her proverbial slapping of her wrist as hard as she can calling a foul on Highlands. Just horrible !!

 

The 2nd charge called against Gordon was the biggest joke of the day. Earls was clearly sliding with him. Game changers if you ask me but the Rebels made their free throws in the end and deserved to win. I just hate to see referees decide a game or change the momentum of a tight ballgame.

 

Good Luck Rebels because you are certainly going to need some on Tuesday night.

 

Agree on both bolded points.

 

The female ref's call was absolutely the wrong call.

 

Congrats to Rebels team.

 

As for their fans, I never thought I'd hear some of the things I heard from adult fans. There were two groups that I would label as the most classless fans I've ever seen or heard in any sport.

Agree on both bolded points.

 

The female ref's call was absolutely the wrong call.

 

Congrats to Rebels team.

 

As for their fans, I never thought I'd hear some of the things I heard from adult fans. There were two groups that I would label as the most classless fans I've ever seen or heard in any sport.

 

Well don't stereotype all Boone parents for a couple of small groups :-)

Refs were putrid. I thought I'd never see worse than the 9th refs. Well I have.

However they were not the reason Highlands lost. Highlands missed numerous bunnies and got manhandled on the glass. Boone was unflappable at the line in the 4th quarter. I was kind of wondering why Grubbs was on the bench so much in the 2nd half. I thought he was leading the Birds in the 1st half. I also take exception to the Birds 1-2-2 zone that the Rebs had no problems finding the weak spots. Congrats Rebels. Good luck in the finals.

To echo OR...Boone's press in the second half was the difference in this one. Highlands kept picking up their dribble WAY too much against it, which led to bad passes and easy turnovers for the Rebels. Game was closer than the final indicates though. Boone was only up 2 with I believe 2 or 3 minutes left, when a missed lay up by Highlands after a steal and some stall ball by Boone forced the Birds to start fouling, which led to the final.

 

If you're a Highlands fan though, you have to feel pretty good about the Birds considering how much they accomplished this year with NO seniors. I'd expect them to be in the same boat with Holmes next year with this group that they have.

 

Good luck to the Rebels Tuesday night against the Dogs.

To echo OR...Boone's press in the second half was the difference in this one. Highlands kept picking up their dribble WAY too much against it, which led to bad passes and easy turnovers for the Rebels. Game was closer than the final indicates though. Boone was only up 2 with I believe 2 or 3 minutes left, when a missed lay up by Highlands after a steal and some stall ball by Boone forced the Birds to start fouling, which led to the final.

 

If you're a Highlands fan though, you have to feel pretty good about the Birds considering how much they accomplished this year with NO seniors. I'd expect them to be in the same boat with Holmes next year with this group that they have.

 

Good luck to the Rebels Tuesday night against the Dogs.

 

 

Right on about the press. Like you I couldn't understand why the Birds were picking up their dribble so early. They continued to run the 4 across press break which seemed to play right into Boone's press.

Agree on both bolded points.

 

The female ref's call was absolutely the wrong call.

 

Congrats to Rebels team.

 

As for their fans, I never thought I'd hear some of the things I heard from adult fans. There were two groups that I would label as the most classless fans I've ever seen or heard in any sport.

 

If your talking about the fans behind their bench I only heard a loud mouth lady yelling everytime a Highlands player was at the line shooting FT's. Now that was embarrassing. Its one thing if its kids but adults trying to "NOONAN" a HS kid while he is shooting. You know who you are lady and I gurantee you read these boards. :lol:

Right on about the press. Like you I couldn't understand why the Birds were picking up their dribble so early. They continued to run the 4 across press break which seemed to play right into Boone's press.

 

I agree. I don't understand why they didn't give the ball to Grote or Kowolonek and let them use their athleticism and quickness and then try to find Watson or Grubbs in the middle...They kept picking their dribble up on the sideline and trying to throw it across the floor which led to a lot of easy tip aways and steals for Boone.

Right on about the press. Like you I couldn't understand why the Birds were picking up their dribble so early. They continued to run the 4 across press break which seemed to play right into Boone's press.

 

I wondered why they wanted Dill with the ball but after thinking about it I think they wanted a bigger kid who could see down the floor. Picking up your dribble against any press is a cardinal sin unless you do something with it right away. The Birds were picking it up and holding it, almost asking the trap to come to them.

 

Who was the kid who got the breakaway dunK? Spalding or Cotton? That was huge for the Rebels and an uplifting moment.

 

BTW- someone at the game asked me why no Highlands students came to the game. He asked if they were all studying for their ACT's.

I agree. I don't understand why they didn't give the ball to Grote or Kowolonek and let them use their athleticism and quickness and then try to find Watson or Grubbs in the middle...They kept picking their dribble up on the sideline and trying to throw it across the floor which led to a lot of easy tip aways and steals for Boone.

 

Grubbs wasnt getting back on D there for a while and they needed quickness on the floor is what I figured.

I agree. I don't understand why they didn't give the ball to Grote or Kowolonek and let them use their athleticism and quickness and then try to find Watson or Grubbs in the middle...They kept picking their dribble up on the sideline and trying to throw it across the floor which led to a lot of easy tip aways and steals for Boone.

 

Oh well it over and done. The Birds had a pretty good season, and should be better next year with probably at least 10 seniors coming back. Unfortunately, I still don't think they will be the best team in the 9th. I believe this is the longest stretch with no championships for the Birds since Ken Shields was hired in the 70's.

Grubbs wasnt getting back on D there for a while and they needed quickness on the floor is what I figured.

 

It was Mcfarland and Brown getting behind the Birds D. Grubbs wasn't guarding them. I thought Grubbs should have come back in when the Birds got to within two points. Boone owned the boards when he wasn't in there.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.