March 8, 200917 yr Everyone is upset. Seventy percent of Kentucky fans want Gillispie gone and are highly upset about the turn of events that have plagued this seasons end. But I was checking through some old posts during the coaching hire, and some to start this season. And many of you were saying it would take 3-5 years to get Kentucky back on the map and a judgment wouldn't be made prior because he needed time to fix the mess that we were left with. And then to start the season, many were saying about the same as last year, perhaps a little better. The general consensus was that Kentucky lost too much (Bradley, Crawford, Jasper) to really make huge strides in the season and it was basically a rebuilding year. Yet the 'Cats started out pretty well, and although we're all very happy with Meeks' accomplishments, his huge outburst of points against Tennessee may have been the worst thing that could have happened to this team this season.. After that, the standards were raised for the season even though we all knew inside that he couldn't do that every night and when he did, we pushed the thoughts of developing other teammates to score to the back of our mind. I am upset with the situation much like you are. But how does the SEC co-Coach of the Year became awful the next season? Is it the coaches, the players, or a combination of both? You don't forget how to coach. Sure, there are situations were patterns and substitutions are arguable, but if we all remember back to the beginning of this hire, you will remember that it takes time to return and to build a strong foundation. Was Liggins the point guard that Gillispie wanted? Not necessarily, but Gillispie needed depth and he would take any players that he could with the time remaining. Let him get the point guard he wants to run the show. I doubt when he landed Liggins that he expected him to be the savior and the next Levance Fields or Acie Law. Year three is the deciding year, if Patterson and Meeks return. Hall made his Final Four appearance in his third year. Pitino took his team a shot away from the Final Four in year three. And Smith, well his team struggled to ten losses in his third year. Feel free to state your opinions as well.
March 8, 200917 yr So, as a die hard Billy supporter, so much so that a week ago you said Billy had built Championship caliber team once the incoming Freshman come in next season, has your opinion changed?
March 8, 200917 yr Author So, as a die hard Billy supporter, so much so that a week ago you said Billy had built Championship caliber team once the incoming Freshman come in next season, has your opinion changed? My opinion hasn't changed. I didn't say he built a championship caliber team necessarily. I asked if that could be possible. With players like Patterson and Orton (even inexperienced) in the paint, that would cause problems for any team. He has a point guard that has been tracked for a long time, plus the addition of Liggins and Galloway with a year in his system. Galloway is a team player and I think he'll progress. Liggins? I'm not so sure. I am a supporter of Kentucky. Not any coach.
March 8, 200917 yr My opinion hasn't changed. I didn't say he built a championship caliber team necessarily. I asked if that could be possible. With players like Patterson and Orton (even inexperienced) in the paint, that would cause problems for any team. He has a point guard that has been tracked for a long time, plus the addition of Liggins and Galloway with a year in his system. Galloway is a team player and I think he'll progress. Liggins? I'm not so sure. I am a supporter of Kentucky. Not any coach. So you still think all this team is missing is two incoming freshman?
March 8, 200917 yr Author So you still think all this team is missing is two incoming freshman? I think it's missing a point guard. I think it's missing a post player. Stevenson is a joke of a player. Patterson battles every second on the offensive end, and when the ball is finally gotten to him, he is double and tripled team. Outside of that, I think Hood can contribute, even if it's to the caliber that Miller does (or doesn't) this season. Add in Pilgrim for a little extra "toughness" which I think many of our players don't have.
March 8, 200917 yr Something is amiss. I'm paddling hard but something has gone awry over the last few weeks. There is more talent there than to be 19-12 at this stage. I cant put a finger on it. BCG seriously hasn't lost the idea of how to coach. His methods havent changed...so what is it? They have two really good players, but they don't have a floor leader whatsoever. There is no one to direct traffic...no on the court leader. There is a certain deficit in shooters, and slashers. They are not very quick. They turn the ball over at an alarming rate and that is a big issue. Still they are a fairly good defensive team...I think they led the SEC in defensive FG pct. He rarely gets any consistency from the same people off the bench. On the flip side, players have not progressed. Some have regressed. Is it playing in fear of making a mistake and getting yanked. Is it the inflexibility of allowing players to play through mistakes and start a lineup that does not include a player that played nearly 30 minutes with no points a few assists and a turnover....which equals running around a lot. Is it the inflexibility of not tweaking things on offense and defense. Is it trying to mold youth for the future? I dont know, it is puzzling...has he not handled a young team very well? A lot of questions with so few answers.
March 8, 200917 yr My question remains the same, how in 3 recruitiinng seasons do you not have a Point Guard?
March 8, 200917 yr I say he begs Meeks and Patterson to stay and we watch year 3 and 4. I would have given him year 5 but I deduct it because of his rudeness. If he has two more years like these then he goes. What if Patterson and Meeks did stay and we had a great team next year? It is not an impossibility like the SouthernSportsFan suggested.
March 8, 200917 yr Also, this is something I brought up in the past and got kind of killed for it. He;s never stayed anywhere more than 4 years. In an almost 30 year career. Are we starting to see why? 12 jobs in 27 years...... The results have been good elsewhere but were all these other places glad to see him go as well?
March 8, 200917 yr Author Something is amiss. I'm paddling hard but something has gone awry over the last few weeks. There is more talent there than to be 19-12 at this stage. I cant put a finger on it. BCG seriously hasn't lost the idea of how to coach. His methods havent changed...so what is it? They have two really good players, but they don't have a floor leader whatsoever. There is no one to direct traffic...no on the court leader. There is a certain deficit in shooters, and slashers. They are not very quick. They turn the ball over at an alarming rate and that is a big issue. Still they are a fairly good defensive team...I think they led the SEC in defensive FG pct. He rarely gets any consistency from the same people off the bench. On the flip side, players have not progressed. Some have regressed. Is it playing in fear of making a mistake and getting yanked. Is it the inflexibility of allowing players to play through mistakes and start a lineup that does not include a player that played nearly 30 minutes with no points a few assists and a turnover....which equals running around a lot. Is it the inflexibility of not tweaking things on offense and defense. Is it trying to mold youth for the future? I dont know, it is puzzling...has he not handled a young team very well? A lot of questions with so few answers. I agree with a lot that you say. I don't think he is sacrificing many things for this one season. Call me crazy, (which I know will happen) but I think he is basically building the foundation for this program. There are some coaches that mold their philosophy around a team just to win now. But Billy wants his type of players and he can't keep changing his system to suit different types of players. I think he says this is the style we play, if you want to come, come. If not, don't. And I think there are a lot of players on this team that don't really understand his system and that causes much confusion for them. I also think there are a few players that may be causing problems on the inside of things. I don't think his teams necessary "fight" as they apparently did after the loss to Mississippi State and that there are some egos in the locker room that are too big.
March 8, 200917 yr Was Liggins the point guard that Gillispie wanted? Not necessarily, but Gillispie needed depth and he would take any players that he could with the time remaining. Let him get the point guard he wants to run the show. I doubt when he landed Liggins that he expected him to be the savior and the next Levance Fields or Acie Law. Liggins was ranked #28 in the class, and was the 6th best PG on Rivals. Gillispie picked up the verbal on 6/27/07. Enlighten me. What did he expect out of Liggins???
March 8, 200917 yr Author Also, this is something I brought up in the past and got kind of killed for it. He;s never stayed anywhere more than 4 years. In an almost 30 year career. Are we starting to see why? 12 jobs in 27 years...... The results have been good elsewhere but were all these other places glad to see him go as well? Because you're looking for the best thing for yourself? All of his moves have been upward. And he likes to coach and recruit, things you don't do in the NBA. He hasn't moved downward in the process. You can't say if given the opportunity that you would remain an assistant instead of being a head coach. Going to an assistant at Tulsa To an assistant at Illinois to... A head coach at UTEP to... Head coach of TAMU to... Head coach of Kentucky. Those have all been upward moves. If he leaves for the NBA it's because he has done something right at Kentucky. And if doing something right at Kentucky is winning and winning big.
March 8, 200917 yr Author Liggins was ranked #28 in the class, and was the 6th best PG on Rivals. Gillispie picked up the verbal on 6/27/07. Enlighten me. What did he expect out of Liggins??? Do you honestly think he expected Liggins to be the savior? Re-read the post. Gillispie needed depth and he claimed the best possible player for the position he could for the time.
March 8, 200917 yr Do you honestly think he expected Liggins to be the savior? Re-read the post. Gillispie needed depth and he claimed the best possible player for the position he could for the time. Do you honestly think he recruited him to be a head case and most of the time well below average on the floor? Seriously? Come on...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.