Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stay At Home Moms

Featured Replies

I'm not sure how to respond to the question, or some of the responses.

 

What is your issue with the question and responses?

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting close to retirement (9 years) and I just wanted to know how if the grass was greener on the other side. LOL

You don't see as many moms stay home as you did when I was in high school. Seems like most people needs 2 salaries to make it anymore. Mr. Mom55 is a teacher also and we struggle.

 

True! When I was growing up it was very unusual to have someone's mother work outside the home. Now the opposite is true.

 

However, in our day we lived life a lot simpler and cheaper. Didnt have the material things our kids have now. Didnt participate in private sports activities that costs thousands of dollars. Didnt go on vacation very often...etc. etc. etc.

  • Author
True! When I was growing up it was very unusual to have someone's mother work outside the home. Now the opposite is true.

 

However, in our day we lived life a lot simpler and cheaper. Didnt have the material things our kids have now. Didnt participate in private sports activities that costs thousands of dollars. Didnt go on vacation very often...etc. etc. etc.

 

My parents always took us the Cin. Zoo and Lexington to stay in the Holiday Inn and the only sport we had in our school was Boys Basketball, this was pre-1973 when girls only cheered or were majorettes.

My parents always took us the Cin. Zoo and Lexington to stay in the Holiday Inn and the only sport we had in our school was Boys Basketball, this was pre-1973 when girls only cheered or were majorettes.

 

I am with you there. We certainly have to be thankful for Title IX for our girls!

 

We went to Coney Island once a summer (but packed our food and drinks) and only went on two vacations my entire childhood, Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach. I never felt like I was cheated out of anything. Only rich families went on vacation every year.

I read an article a few years ago that if the family "outsourced" all the jobs that a stay-at-home mom normally does, the price tag would be over $200,000+. My dad works more than 40 hours a week easily and travels often (as I assume most people do) so it just puts more of a burden on my mom. She certainly finds plenty of ways to fill up her time.

 

My parents also completely spoiled my brothers and I when we were young and so she has a hard time getting them to do chores. Going away to college, it saddens me about how much of a brat I was when I was younger, realizing how a little help goes a long way. I wish I could convince my brothers that they would regret it, but it is one of those lessons you have to learn on your own. I try to help out as much as I can when home, and am happy to babysit my brothers when my parents go on vacation. (Having a free, stocked pantry and refrigerator is nice too :lol:).

I read an article a few years ago that if the family "outsourced" all the jobs that a stay-at-home mom normally does, the price tag would be over $200,000+. My dad works more than 40 hours a week easily and travels often (as I assume most people do) so it just puts more of a burden on my mom. She certainly finds plenty of ways to fill up her time.

 

My parents also completely spoiled my brothers and I when we were young and so she has a hard time getting them to do chores. Going away to college, it saddens me about how much of a brat I was when I was younger, realizing how a little help goes a long way. I wish I could convince my brothers that they would regret it, but it is one of those lessons you have to learn on your own. I try to help out as much as I can when home, and am happy to babysit my brothers when my parents go on vacation. (Having a free, stocked pantry and refrigerator is nice too :lol:).

 

I think my son realizes the same thing. Wish my two left at home felt the same way!

 

Any dont forget.....no parties while mom and dad are gone!:cool:

I think my son realizes the same thing. Wish my two left at home felt the same way!

 

Any dont forget.....no parties while mom and dad are gone!:cool:

Parties? I don't know anything about any parties. :D

  • Author

I just received a call from my son today and asking about laundry and what to wash together. I believe he now is starting to appreciate his "old" mom.there is a poem that I found before and I'm going to try to find it again to post here. It's about a mom

I just received a call from my son today and asking about laundry and what to wash together. I believe he now is starting to appreciate his "old" mom.there is a poem that I found before and I'm going to try to find it again to post here. It's about a mom

 

It make you feel good though, right? It beats them throwing everything in together and having pink undershirts :thumb:

Parties? I don't know anything about any parties. :D

 

The fact that you have cch in your name tells me you are not entirely truthful.:eek: Have your mother call me!:cool:

I read an article a few years ago that if the family "outsourced" all the jobs that a stay-at-home mom normally does, the price tag would be over $200,000+. My dad works more than 40 hours a week easily and travels often (as I assume most people do) so it just puts more of a burden on my mom. She certainly finds plenty of ways to fill up her time.

 

DANG . . . I'm worth WAY MORE to my hubby than I thought!! When you add this $200,000 to my salary . . . he can't afford to keep me!!:jump:

 

 

 

 

 

I guess he'll have to get a second job!

Edited by eccheer

I consider myself very lucky, as a kid growing up my mom has to shufle boy scouts, girl scouts, football, field hockey, intramurals, etc....my Dad was gone on business 80% of the time. As I look back, I am amazed at how often my Dad found the way to make it home, only to be gone the very next morning. Both my parents sacrificed greatly to make things work in our house.

 

When my wife and I decided to start our family we were on the same page that one of would stay home with the kids, as the journies of our careers developed it became evident I would earn the dough, while my wife would do the brunt of the duties. I even held two other jobs at one point, just so we could continue a certain lifestyle while our children benefitted from constant parenting in the house.

 

Now, my wife has develooped a heckuva career being self employed while I settled into a one career role. Things have been very tough and stressful for us, while our children get to enjoy the benefits of being raised in our Christian household by us and my in-laws. There are often times, tonight being one, where we "tag-team" parenting duties so that things work for both of our careers. It has been a great struggle, but so worth it. I can only imagine, now that #1 is starting into school, that as our family grows things will get easier, and yet harder at the same time. We spend countless hourse trying to rear our children in the same mold that we had coming up.

 

All in all, you need to do what's best for your family, and we sacrificed for what we felt was best. With our family and God by our side things have worked out accordingly.

Parenting is pretty easy, the kids come first.

I switched jobs a couple of years ago so my wife could stay home until our kids get in school. It has been a great sacrifice financially, work, budget etc. I am gone all day but get back before dinner to eat as a family, play with the kids some, help with bath and we each read to one every night before we put them down. For young parents out there I cannot even begin to explain what reading to the kids every night has done for them. DO IT!

There are times just me working causes arguments. It is definatly a sacrifice but in the end it is years my wife + kids could never make up. My parents both had to work but I felt like (still feel like) they bent over backwards to support me and be involved in my life. My wife and I are both blessed with great parents!

You know something funny? I was on the phone with my mom, and she heard me in interaction with my children with them answering back "yes sir", and "no thank you" for certain requests. My mom said, you and your wife are doing an amazing job teaching your kids manners that neither of you ever took practice in. I didn't know whether it was a compliment or a back handed compliment. I tend to feel it was a little of both.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.