Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Media Mock Selection Committee

Featured Replies

Cats hit 20 or 21 wins and they are in.

 

You realize that means only 2 or 3 more wins?

 

Lets say they win 2 more regular season games and one SEC tourney game.

 

That would put them at 21-12 (9-7) having lost 8 of their last 13. I would NOT be very confident that gets them in.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cats hit 20 or 21 wins and they are in.

 

Probably true for both Cats.

C'mon. It's UK.

I'm not meaning that to sound arrogant.

20 to 21 wins gets them in. As well as some others, if the shoe was on another foot.

It could be Duke, UNC or Kansas with 20 or 21 and I would put them in in my mind.

 

 

The NCAA can say what they want, but they like the big names getting in and sometimes that is all it takes. UK also means crowd and attendance wherever they are, which means $$$$$$. The NCAA can say all of this does not matter, but it does.

 

I realize that means 1 or 2 more games, and I think UK finishes with 21 or 22 wins before the tourney. If not, I still believe 20 or 21 gets them in.

I like the one in the Cincinnati Enquirer

It has UC and UK both in as 11 seeds.

With UK playing Tubby in the first round.:popcorn:

Even though it "does not happen" according to the powers that be, I can see the group wanting a UK/UMinn matchup and a UC/WV matchup for rating purposes, if it was at all possible....

C'mon. It's UK.

I'm not meaning that to sound arrogant.

20 to 21 wins gets them in. As well as some others, if the shoe was on another foot.

It could be Duke, UNC or Kansas with 20 or 21 and I would put them in in my mind.

 

 

The NCAA can say what they want, but they like the big names getting in and sometimes that is all it takes. UK also means crowd and attendance wherever they are, which means $$$$$$. The NCAA can say all of this does not matter, but it does.

 

I realize that means 1 or 2 more games, and I think UK finishes with 21 or 22 wins before the tourney. If not, I still believe 20 or 21 gets them in.

 

Could have said it better myself, the name helps them for sure. Even as a Kentucky fan I can admit that. I don't think Lousiville will finish at that two spot. I think they might drop to a 3 or 4.

 

Florida taking the loss yesterday could hurt, but I am sure they finish the season strong.

XU at a #4?

 

They only have 4 losses. But, I agree with you a 4 seems high right now. They are still the favorite to win the A-10 and COULD run the table from here on out.

They only have 4 losses. But, I agree with you a 4 seems high right now. They are still the favorite to win the A-10 and COULD run the table from here on out.

 

I would think that they would be deserving of the four seed if that were the case.

C'mon. It's UK.

I'm not meaning that to sound arrogant.

20 to 21 wins gets them in. As well as some others, if the shoe was on another foot.

It could be Duke, UNC or Kansas with 20 or 21 and I would put them in in my mind.

 

 

The NCAA can say what they want, but they like the big names getting in and sometimes that is all it takes. UK also means crowd and attendance wherever they are, which means $$$$$$. The NCAA can say all of this does not matter, but it does.

I realize that means 1 or 2 more games, and I think UK finishes with 21 or 22 wins before the tourney. If not, I still believe 20 or 21 gets them in.

 

That's not really a factor in the basketball tournament like it is in football. The 1st and 2nd round sites typically sell out no matter who is there. Especially now with them keeping teams a little closer to home and splitting up the brackets in the first two rounds.

Someone in the Big East could get left out with what looks like a good record. Their schedule is so unbalanced during the regular season and their "unique" set-up in the conference tournament could allow a team to be 8-10 or 9-9 in the regular season, win two more games in the conference tournament and NOT get in.

That's not really a factor in the basketball tournament like it is in football. The 1st and 2nd round sites typically sell out no matter who is there. Especially now with them keeping teams a little closer to home and splitting up the brackets in the first two rounds.

 

I know that the tourney sells seats, but how many times have you seen UK sent somewhere that was a hard sale for fans? It happens a lot, and the group knows that if they put UK in downtown Baghdad, the Blue Nation will follow. $$$$ drives this thing. Most every year, if it came down to UNC, Duke or UK being a "bubble team" along with IUPUI, who's getting in? Be truthful.....

I know that the tourney sells seats, but how many times have you seen UK sent somewhere that was a hard sale for fans? It happens a lot, and the group knows that if they put UK in downtown Baghdad, the Blue Nation will follow. $$$$ drives this thing. Most every year, if it came down to UNC, Duke or UK being a "bubble team" along with IUPUI, who's getting in? Be truthful.....

 

Typically the "last 4" in and out are 2nd tier BCS conference teams or mid-majors with very good records. I think if you look at those teams, you couldn't come up with any evidence of what you are saying. If fact, the committee has favored mid-majors several times over the last few years.

As far as the money thing, March Madness sells itself. They don't need the big names to make it work--it actually maybe just the opposite. No, I don't think the committee takes it into account at all. You don't find out where you are playing until Monday of the tournament and there are very few tickets, if any, available by then unless it is in a dome. Also, there is going to be a "local" or regional favorite at the site that will sell whatever tickets are left--they don't need a "big name" to sell tickets--unlike college football bowl games.

I still don't buy that 100%.

They know if certain teams get in, they are going to bring crowds wherever they go.

You are correct in theory, but the UK fans buy tickets AFTER the announcement. The board can put whoever wherever they choose. The basketball schools are going to follow their teams wherever, so if they think a place that won the bid may be a harder sale than , say, Tampa, you throw a school that you know will bring the cash into it. They want every penny that they can bring in. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

 

 

I knew in the earlier post that it would never come down to those teams and IUPUI. Just an example. I still think who you are plays into it. We'll just have to disagree on that point.

I still don't buy that 100%.

They know if certain teams get in, they are going to bring crowds wherever they go.

You are correct in theory, but the UK fans buy tickets AFTER the announcement. The board can put whoever wherever they choose. The basketball schools are going to follow their teams wherever, so if they think a place that won the bid may be a harder sale than , say, Tampa, you throw a school that you know will bring the cash into it. They want every penny that they can bring in. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

 

 

I knew in the earlier post that it would never come down to those teams and IUPUI. Just an example. I still think who you are plays into it. We'll just have to disagree on that point.

 

I've been to about 10 first/second round sites over the years and the only session that ever has empty seats is the first one (Thursday or Friday, noon session). They don't need UK, or anyone else, to sell tickets, period. Just because UK WILL HAVE more fans than most teams at the site, doesn't mean they NEED them to sell the seats.

Again, look at the last 4 in/out over the years and tell me that they favor the "name" schools. The loudest complainer over the last few years has been Syracuse...they're aren't a big name or someone who will draw fans?

I've been to about 10 first/second round sites over the years and the only session that ever has empty seats is the first one (Thursday or Friday, noon session). They don't need UK, or anyone else, to sell tickets, period. Just because UK WILL HAVE more fans than most teams at the site, doesn't mean they NEED them to sell the seats.

Again, look at the last 4 in/out over the years and tell me that they favor the "name" schools. The loudest complainer over the last few years has been Syracuse...they're aren't a big name or someone who will draw fans?

 

It isn't really about selling tickets, that is the draw. It is the other intangibles, such as hotels, restaraunts, souveniors, tourism, etc. Those things UK fans will do if for example the game is in Jacksonville, where as if IUPIU goes down to Jacksonville instead very few fans will be there but the games will still be sold out, just not to the traveling fan and these host cities wants the traveling fan so their economy will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$RICHER. I'd say ticket sales are almost a non issue in revenue but ads and sposnorships from this cities is where the money is and these cities want traveling fans. PERIOD. I can't imagine a situation where UK would be left out of the 65 teams unless they just go on two or three losing streaks and I don't see it happening.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.