2009 Raceland

Ram

I can't use the quote from Jett, but his answer was explicably, NO WAY!!!!:thumb: He loves the orange and black. Looks like he has put on some muscle, too.

I agree, he is looking pretty thick and strong. I think he may be a big surprise for opponents this season.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Raceland Football – 2009

1. Play A Quality Schedule.

One of the keys for Raceland to continue to improve and to become a perennial 1A power is to continue to play the larger schools, and continue to play a quality non-district schedule to better prepare them for the quality 1A teams they will see in the playoffs. Last year, in non-district games, Raceland played one 1A team (Paintsville), three 3A teams (Russell, East Carter, and West Carter), one 4A team (Greenup County), and one 5A team (Ashland). The Schedule has changed a little for 2009 Raceland replaced the only non-district 1A team with 4A Boyd County, and replaced 3A West Carter with 3A Fleming County. This schedule, along with several quality District Games, will well prepare Raceland for the playoffs. The match up with Russell has really taken on a life of it’s own and is a true playoff atmosphere against a quality opponent. Ashland will be a very strong 5A team in 2009 and will provide a quality early test for Raceland, in another playoff type atmosphere. Greenup County is a large school that is a county rivalry. East Carter has really made the series interesting, and provides a hard fought game for Raceland to be tested. With the addition of two larger schools in Boyd County and Fleming County, the Raceland schedule should be good preparation for the post season.

2. Stingy defense.

In 2008 Raceland’s defense allowed 14 points per game, with two shut outs. For Raceland to win the big games in 2009, they are going to have to continue the stingy defense mentality. Raceland was hit hard with graduation from 2008, but due to many one sided games in 2008, many second team defenders received some quality varsity playing time. Raceland may have lost quite a few starters, but Raceland returns many players with playing experience. Cody Kelly will be one of the returning starters on defense; he will have to be the leader of “Raceland’s Stingy Defense”. Stingy defense will once again be the key for Raceland.

3. Poised offense.

Like the defense, Raceland’s offense was hit hard with graduation, but many players received quality varsity experience. The entire backfield will be new, but all the players taking those positions gained invaluable experience in 2008. The quarterback position may have some compition with Junior to be Tyler Farley, sophomore to be Marcus Reed and sophomore transfer Mason Rister. Farley has the lead in this compition and may be the starter. At running back Cody Kelly will start in one position. The other back will have some strong compition between Michael Litteral, who has a good 2008 season, before an injury, Jeremy Barr, who transferred in and was the leading rusher and leading receiver in 2008 for his team, and Ralph Burchett. Several starters return on the OL and receiving corp. To win early, Raceland’s offense is going to have to mature and learn to work together.

4. Special teams.

Special teams are the place that Raceland needs the most improvement. In 2008, Raceland lacked the deep kicking ability, and gave opponents the ball outside the 35 most times. Raceland has to find a kicker to kick deep and give the defense the opportunity to play inside the opponent’s 30. Punting was spotty in 2008, Raceland needs to find a punter that can be used as a weapon to pin opponents deep and give the defensive the chance of winning the battle of field position.

5. Feed off of the 2008 Success.

Coming off of a 2008 season that yielded a 12-1 record, a perfect regular season, a District Championship, an Eastern Kentucky Conference Championship and several big wins, the 2009 Raceland team must build on the winning way they have learned and play with the same intensity that brought about the great season last year. The 2009 team has seen what it takes to win, and what it takes to win the big games; they must build on that lesson learned, and expect to win.

6. Players to watch.

Cody Kelly (Sr) RB/LB – Two-year starter that will be a force on both sides of the ball. Cody may be the leading rusher for Raceland and will probably be the leading tackler. A lot will be expected from him.

Michael Litteral (Jr) RB/LB – Michael will be expected to mature fast and will be looked to for good things. He got some experience last season at kick returning, that may be where he is needed the most.

Bobby McKee (Sr) WR/DB – Should be the leading receiver, and will have to be a force in the defensive backfield, and is a solid return guy. Bobby has a lot of potential and he will need to use it to help lead Raceland.

Cody Grant (Sr) OL/DL – Plays Center on the offense and will be the leader on the OL this year. Good size, great feet for a big guy. Cody will have to step it up on the defensive side and become the run stopper on the DL.

Ralph Burchett (Jr) RB/DB – Will need to mature and step into a starting role on defense and maybe offense. Good speed and a tough young man. Ralph will need to become a playmaker.

Rocky Jobe (Sr) OL/DL – Will be one of the two returning linemen, and has good size and will have to be a strong force to help anchor both the OL and the DL.

Eddie Compton (Sr) OL/DL – Was used in 2008 at the sixth lineman, and gained a lot of experience. He is like a returning starter with his experience. He will help shore up a solid OL.

Marcus Reed (So) QB/WR/DB – Marcus will be used in several different ways, and add another detention to the Raceland offense. Look for great things from Marcus over the next three years.

Returning players from 2008:

No.

Name

Height

Weight

Position

Grade

Bobby McKee

6’ 0”

WR/DB

Sam Hieneman

5’ 8”

WR/DB

Patrick Hamilton

5’ 9”

WR/DB

Luke Johnson

5’ 8”

QB/LB

Scotty Craft

5’ 5”

WR/DB

Daniel Jones

5’ 6”

WR/DB

Johnny Shearer

5’ 10”

WR/DB

Tyler Farley

6’ 0”

QB/LB

Tyler Nethercutt

5’ 8”

WR/DB

Marcus Reed

5’ 11”

QB/WR/DB

Ralph Burchett

5’ 8”

RB/DB

Loren Huffman

5’ 8”

WR/DB

Cody Kelly

5’ 11”

RB/LB

Michael Litteral

5’ 7”

RB/LB

Jessie Potter

6’ 1”

RB/LB

Dylan Scaggs

5’ 9”

RB/LB

Rocky Jobe

6’ 0”

OL/DL

Austin Johnson

6’ 1”

OL/DL

Brandon Rogers

5’ 5”

OL/DL

Deacon Griffith

5’ 8”

OL/DL

Johnny Smith

5’ 7”

OL/DL

Jacob Flocker

6’ 0”

OL/DL

Akhil Shastry

5’ 4”

OL/DL

Rodney Salyers

6’ 1”

OL/DL

Cody Grant

6’ 1”

OL/DL

Brian Caudill

6’ 1”

OL/DL

Luke Bonzo

5’ 10”

OL/DL

Zack Harris

5’ 10”

OL/DL

James Harris

5’ 9”

OL/DL

Justin Evans

5’ 10”

OL/DL

Eddie Cumpton

5’ 10”

OL/DL

George Hall

5’ 8”

OL/DL

Phillip Thompson

6’ 0”

WR/LB

Justin Ratcliff

6’ 2”

WR/LB

Michael Hall

5’ 11”

WR/DB

Raceland Schedule 2009

Aug. 7 Meet the Rams TBA

Aug. 15 EKC Grid @ Raceland

Rowan Co. vs. Lewis Co. 5:00pm

Morgan Co. vs. Fairview 6:30pm

Raceland vs. West Carter 8:00pm

Aug. 22 Scrimmage vs. Frankfort 6:30pm

Aug. 28 @ Ashland 7:30pm

Sept. 4 @ Fleming County (EKC) 7:30pm

Sept. 11 Greenup County 7:30pm

Sept 18 East Carter (EKC) 7:30pm

Sept. 25 Nicholas County (EKC) (D) 7:30pm

Oct. 2 @ Paris (D) 7:30pm

Oct. 9 Fairview (EKC) (D) 7:30pm

Oct. 16 @ LCA (D) 7:30pm

Oct. 23 @ Boyd County 7:30pm

Oct. 30 Russell 7:30pm

Nov. 6 Playoffs 1st Round

Nov. 13 Playoffs 2nd Round

Nov. 20 Regional Championship

Nov. 27 Semi-Finals

Dec. 4 State Championship

Raceland Junior Varsity 2009

Aug. 31 Ashland 6:00pm

Sept. 14 @ Greenup County 6:00pm

Sept. 21 @ East Carter 6:00pm

Sept. 28 Lewis County 6:00pm

Oct. 5 West Carter 6:00pm

Oct. 12 @ Fairview 6:00pm

Oct. 26 Boyd County 6:00pm

Raceland Freshman 2009

Sept. 3 @ Ashland 6:00pm

Sept. 17 @ Greenup County 6:00pm

Sept. 24 East Carter 6:00pm

Oct. 1 Lewis County 6:00pm

Oct. 8 @ Coal Grove, OH 6:00pm

C'mon now Ram :ohbrother:! I mean at least you could provide some info on the Rams.:irked::D

......you did not even list the JFL and the flag football rosters or schedules, Geez!!

C'mon now Ram :ohbrother:! I mean at least you could provide some info on the Rams.:irked::D

......you did not even list the JFL and the flag football schedules, Geez!!

I'm slipping, my apologies, I will do better next time, it's not like I know very much about fusball anyway.:D

I'm slipping, my apologies, I will do better next time, it's not like I know very much about fusball anyway.:D

:lol::thumb: Another thing is that no one really pays much attention to football around Raceland anyway. There are hardly any post on the Rams during football season, especially last season. Why, we hardly knew when, where or who they were plaing each week!

We are not well versed in football around here. How did we do last year anyway? I heard we were going to partipate in a district next year. What colors should I buy to wear to the games? Haha

Just wear Green, I am sure everyone will be happy with that! LOL:laugh:

We are not well versed in football around here. How did we do last year anyway? I heard we were going to partipate in a district next year. What colors should I buy to wear to the games? Haha

From what little was written or talked about around here I think that I remember hearing something about it being a decent year. I am not sure about being competative in the district though. As for the colors, Raceland could go 0-10 in every season for life and I will still be wearing the "Rambler born" "Orange and Black"! :ylsuper: Once a Ram always a Ram.:thumb:

"you can always tell a Rams Fan, you are just not going to tell us much" :sssh::D

Edited by oldrambler

I am glad my friends understand that I am orange and black now. I know everyone understands that I love GC and everyone involved but my kids are at Raceland and Raceland needed me and we have a great thing together. I can only hope that the Musketeers return to dominance in all sports except when they play Raceland. I can't root against my kids.

I am glad my friends understand that I am orange and black now. I know everyone understands that I love GC and everyone involved but my kids are at Raceland and Raceland needed me and we have a great thing together. I can only hope that the Musketeers return to dominance in all sports except when they play Raceland. I can't root against my kids.
I don't understand.:idunno:

I'm sorry you don't understand. If your kids were attending Lewis County, would you be so reverent to Greenup? I think you'd being wearing blue and white. You'd still want Greenup to do well, but you'd be helping Lewis County do as well as they could and participate with their programs. Heck, you'd probably organize JFL in Vanceburg. Coupon21 for Commissioner of Vanceburg! Ok, back from my dream analogy. I think you get the point.:isurrender: