Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CovCath Baseball 2009 (Third Time's the Charm)

Featured Replies

Isler

 

As a Pitcher or a position player?

 

Unless things have changed speed was always required for the D1 and Pro scouts. Occassionally that is not requirement, especially for pitchers and catchers. But usually they want at least decent speed, even for 1st baseman.

 

How fast does Isler throw?

 

I know he is a very good HS hitter, but didn't know he had the speed and defensive skills to be a D1 player. D2 yes, D1 ????

  • Replies 84
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
As a Pitcher or a position player?

 

Unless things have changed speed was always required for the D1 and Pro scouts. Occassionally that is not requirement, especially for pitchers and catchers. But usually they want at least decent speed, even for 1st baseman.

 

How fast does Isler throw?

 

I know he is a very good HS hitter, but didn't know he had the speed and defensive skills to be a D1 player. D2 yes, D1 ????

 

Isler throws about 88-89 topping out. He's more of a consistent 86-ish. He has the tools to hit at the next level but I'm not quite sure about defensively for Division 1 baseball.

Ice has had looks/talks with Cincinnati Xavier, and I know that EKU and WKY are/were/have been talking to him also. NKU and TMC have been asking around about him too. One big thing to remember is that it wasn't until last summer that Ice was actually allowed to start throwing a curve ball, to go with his fast ball and change up. This HS season I think a lot of folks are going to be watching a different Zach Isler than they have watched and he will surprise a lot of folks with his pitching ability. His understanding of the game and how to pitch made him a very good pitcher last year even with the bum arm, he IMO was not even close to being 100% and had some outstanding outing. This HS season? It should be fun for him......but maybe not so much fun for the batters..... :D:clap::clap:

As a Pitcher or a position player?

 

Unless things have changed speed was always required for the D1 and Pro scouts. Occassionally that is not requirement, especially for pitchers and catchers. But usually they want at least decent speed, even for 1st baseman.

 

How fast does Isler throw?

 

I know he is a very good HS hitter, but didn't know he had the speed and defensive skills to be a D1 player. D2 yes, D1 ????

 

 

He's being recruited as a pitcher. I've always questioned posters who say how fast a kid throws. However, a college coach said that Ice hit about 88 a few weeks ago in a throwing session. I'll go with the coach on that one. They like a 6'2 or 6'3 thick kid with strong legs that can throw. I'm guessing that they feel with refinement and year-round work he can become a 90+ guy.

He's being recruited as a pitcher. I've always questioned posters who say how fast a kid throws. However, a college coach said that Ice hit about 88 a few weeks ago in a throwing session. I'll go with the coach on that one. They like a 6'2 or 6'3 thick kid with strong legs that can throw. I'm guessing that they feel with refinement and year-round work he can become a 90+ guy.

 

Unfortunately raw stats are very important to both Major college and pro scouts. Years ago I worked with a company responsible for creating a database of High School, Jr.College and College players. The Database was heavy on Raw stats, Height, Weight, Speed home to first, Speed first to third, Speed in the 60, arm Strength rating 1 -5 etc.

 

For Pitchers the KEY stat was speed, next was a rating 1 - 5 on control.

 

There were half dozen other ratings 1 -5 on several things including work ethic.

 

There were also several fields for scout impressions, comments and "personal concerns".

 

The database (don't know if it is still used, company no longer exist as it was) was designed by MLB.

 

This was in the early 90's so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

 

How many times have you seen great high school talents never get a chance with the big boys, because they were 2 inches to short, or a half step to slow. Right or wrong those RAW stats are the first thing that attract attention. Not saying that kids who are lacking in those categories won't get looked at but it becomes less likely.

 

As for Isler, if he throws 88 consistently then I agree he is a definite D1 prospect. I didn't realize he threw that hard, I thought he was more in the 82 - 83 range.

Unfortunately raw stats are very important to both Major college and pro scouts. Years ago I worked with a company responsible for creating a database of High School, Jr.College and College players. The Database was heavy on Raw stats, Height, Weight, Speed home to first, Speed first to third, Speed in the 60, arm Strength rating 1 -5 etc.

 

For Pitchers the KEY stat was speed, next was a rating 1 - 5 on control.

 

There were half dozen other ratings 1 -5 on several things including work ethic.

 

There were also several fields for scout impressions, comments and "personal concerns".

 

The database (don't know if it is still used, company no longer exist as it was) was designed by MLB.

 

This was in the early 90's so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

 

How many times have you seen great high school talents never get a chance with the big boys, because they were 2 inches to short, or a half step to slow. Right or wrong those RAW stats are the first thing that attract attention. Not saying that kids who are lacking in those categories won't get looked at but it becomes less likely.

 

As for Isler, if he throws 88 consistently then I agree he is a definite D1 prospect. I didn't realize he threw that hard, I thought he was more in the 82 - 83 range.

 

Good post... I think when it is said that he hit 88 it means just that, 88 was his top speed. After seeing him throw this summer I would definitely agree with TOG that his arm is getting stronger, he was throwing in the mid 80's consistently where last Spring he was in the lower 80's.

I stated if they had another dominant pitcher LIKE Harmon they would be the better than 05". I didn't say if they had Harmon LIKE the 05 team they would be better. It was saying if they had someone like this not necessarily the 05 team.

 

My issue is that we're dealing with real teams in a debate and not teams made up of "if they had....."

 

Many teams could claim the top spot IF they had pitcher like Harmon.

My issue is that we're dealing with real teams in a debate and not teams made up of "if they had....."

 

Many teams could claim the top spot IF they had pitcher like Harmon.

 

For the record, if Ryle had Maronde (LCC), Nichols, (DH), and Harmon on our staff this year, we would be impossible to beat. :p

 

I like playing this "if" game. :D

  • Author
For the record, if Ryle had Maronde (LCC), Nichols, (DH), and Harmon on our staff this year, we would be impossible to beat. :p

 

I like playing this "if" game. :D

 

Well what I meant by this is I don't see a dominant enough pitcher on the squad to consider this team one of the best.

Good post... I think when it is said that he hit 88 it means just that, 88 was his top speed. After seeing him throw this summer I would definitely agree with TOG that his arm is getting stronger, he was throwing in the mid 80's consistently where last Spring he was in the lower 80's.

Isler was clocked throwing consistantly 88 at Xavier. He was consistantly clocked last season at 87-88 and has topped out on several occasions at 90.

Isler was clocked throwing consistantly 88 at Xavier. He was consistantly clocked last season at 87-88 and has topped out on several occasions at 90.

 

He consistently threw 87-88 last high school season?? I saw him throw a couple of times last Spring and, while he was throwing well, he wasn't quite in that range, though no surprise as he was just coming off his injury. Regardless, he'll be very tough this year, especially if he's mixes in a curve this season. More importantly, how's his younger brother coming along with his pitching career?

He consistently threw 87-88 last high school season?? I saw him throw a couple of times last Spring and, while he was throwing well, he wasn't quite in that range, though no surprise as he was just coming off his injury. Regardless, he'll be very tough this year, especially if he's mixes in a curve this season. More importantly, how's his younger brother coming along with his pitching career?

 

I can tell you that at the end of the season, yes he was. I sat directly behind two scouts at the region semi-final game versus Dixie, and he was hitting 86 to 88 consistently. He did throw 84 to 85 on some pitches. As far as at the beginning of the season, I'm not sure, just was nice to get him throwing.

 

His younger brother, Matt should be ready to go for Ryle this season. He is throwing pretty well from what I've heard, should be a solid pitcher for the JV team.

I can tell you that at the end of the season, yes he was. I sat directly behind two scouts at the region semi-final game versus Dixie, and he was hitting 86 to 88 consistently. He did throw 84 to 85 on some pitches. As far as at the beginning of the season, I'm not sure, just was nice to get him throwing.

 

His younger brother, Matt should be ready to go for Ryle this season. He is throwing pretty well from what I've heard, should be a solid pitcher for the JV team.

 

Interesting!!! Why wouldn't he follow in his brothers footsteps and go to CovCath? Did he not play for the "Kentucky Kids" in summer ball? What year will he be?

Interesting!!! Why wouldn't he follow in his brothers footsteps and go to CovCath? Did he not play for the "Kentucky Kids" in summer ball? What year will he be?

 

 

He went to middle school out in Union, where the Islers live and chose to go to Ryle with the people he knew. He did not play for the Kentucky Kids, but plays for another program and he will be a 6'4 just about 6'5 230 sophmore.

He went to middle school out in Union, where the Islers live and chose to go to Ryle with the people he knew. He did not play for the Kentucky Kids, but plays for another program and he will be a 6'4 just about 6'5 230 sophmore.

 

Otherwise known as "Zack's big brother.":lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.