Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CovCath Baseball 2009 (Third Time's the Charm)

Featured Replies

To be honest, I'm surprised at a lot of the concerns above. I think this might be the best CovCath baseball team since the team that had the most wins in the country. They should win state. And I don't think that I am being overly optimistic.

 

Losing Mattie is going to be huge, maybe not as huge as the Basketball team losing Mitch most of the season, but huge. In losing Mattie, you lose a very good hitter batting in the number 7/8 hole! You lose a kid who could have allowed Krumps to move RD back to RF, and you lose a kid who came in an pitched a bit. Huge lose if you ask me and with VanSant not playing you lose a very good hitter with some speed, add Mitch to that list and you have three very good players sitting out the season and it's tough for any team to lose three players of their quality.

 

Maile, Isler, Darner and Nutini will get theirs, now if Mattie, Mitch and Pat had/will play..... well you see what I am talking about, but IMHO Holocher will make or break the Colonels this season, as he goes so goes CovCath.

  • Replies 84
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That has to be the best 4-man offensive combo in the state.

 

Wow. Now that seems a bit over the top. :sssh: You're that familiar with the makeup of all the teams throughout the state to make that claim? This is indeed 4 very solid hitters (one exceptional hitter), but best in the entire state?

Any of the pitchers from last years JV ready for prime time varsity action? I saw Adam Shumate throw a few times on the JV level and was impressed with him as a freshmen at that level. With a good year of summer ball I would think he might have an opportunity to pitch at the varsity level?

 

I believe Chris Gerwe was their top pitcher on JV last year. He can definitely throw at the varsity level. Isler and Nutini are very good 1/2's and Krumme, Gerwe, Warning, Shumate will give them some additional depth. With CCH's offensive abilities, all these guys need to do is hold most opponents to 5 or so runs a game.

Wow. Now that seems a bit over the top. :sssh: You're that familiar with the makeup of all the teams throughout the state to make that claim? This is indeed 4 very solid hitters (one exceptional hitter), but best in the entire state?

You are right that I am not familiar enough with other teams. But I have watched these 4 play for 2 years. I hardly know very many other players in the state that were ranked number 1 at their position by major D-1 universities. What other team can put up 4 hitters that good?

You are right that I am not familiar enough with other teams. But I have watched these 4 play for 2 years. I hardly know very many other players in the state that were ranked number 1 at their position by major D-1 universities. What other team can put up 4 hitters that good?

 

What does this statement mean exactly?

  • Author
What does this statement mean exactly?

 

I was asking myself the same thing. :idunno:

 

:lol:

If this team had more a dominant pitcher like Rob Harmon on this squad I would disagree. Isler and Nutini are great pitchers but are far from dominant. Pitching depth with be a problem. When you have Darner, Isler, and Maile hitting the other 6 become very small problems.

 

Rob Harmon was not on the 05 team.

 

You can't discount the other 5 positions in the order.

What does this statement mean exactly?

 

I was asking myself the same thing. :idunno:

 

:lol:

Yeah I was a bit out of it earlier. :lol:

 

The point that I was trying to get across is that Luke is one of the best hitters in the state, and he has 3 other very, very good hitters in the lineup with him. Since I don't see many players of Luke's caliber, I can reasonably assume that no one else has 4 hitters that good (because most teams don't have a player as good as Luke). If there is, then tell me. I'm no expert on teams around the entire state.

Not many schools are fortunate enough to have three hitters like Maile, Isler, and Darner. Maile and Isler were up there in RBI's, homeruns, avg. and Darner is a clutch hitter who has the ability to get the RBI's as well with a high avg.

Yeah I was a bit out of it earlier. :lol:

 

The point that I was trying to get across is that Luke is one of the best hitters in the state, and he has 3 other very, very good hitters in the lineup with him. Since I don't see many players of Luke's caliber, I can reasonably assume that no one else has 4 hitters that good (because most teams don't have a player as good as Luke). If there is, then tell me. I'm no expert on teams around the entire state.

 

OK, I just didn't know what the #1 rated D-1 statement was all about. :lol: Maile is a special hitter no doubt. Best in the state? Probably. Certainly up there at/near the very top. But the others are good hitters, not great hitters. I'd be surprised if someone else in the group of PRP, LCA, Creek, Appollo, Bullitt East, Eastern, Harrison, etc... doesn't have hitters to match these four overall, even if they don't have a Maile. Time will tell . . . .

OK, I just didn't know what the #1 rated D-1 statement was all about. :lol:

 

:lol: I was trying to say that a lot of teams (Louisville is the one that I know for sure) had him rated as the number 1 catcher in the country in his class.

:lol: I was trying to say that a lot of teams (Louisville is the one that I know for sure) had him rated as the number 1 catcher in the country in his class.

 

And that he probably is. :thumb:

And that he probably is. :thumb:

 

I would have to disagree. I doubt Maile is the number 1 CATCHER for his class. Hitting wise he would without a doubt in the running for 1 I would think. But catching, no. Possibly in the state, but nationally...

 

Regardless of all this, and whether or not they indeed do take state [Will have to get past region first!], this is a special group of boys. How many teams have 2 D1 caliber kids, possibly three with Darner, on their team this year?

I would have to disagree. I doubt Maile is the number 1 CATCHER for his class. Hitting wise he would without a doubt in the running for 1 I would think. But catching, no. Possibly in the state, but nationally...

I'm just relaying what was said by Louisville's baseball coach, to whom I give greater authority on high school players across the country then any of us.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.