Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Parents Running Programs

Featured Replies

After reading the thread about Ashland/Boyd Basketball, I was wondering how many of the problems there are from parents not kids?

What do you think a coach owes a parent?

Does a coach need to communicate with parents or are they coaching their kids?

Do the kids quit because of the coach or because of their parents problems with the coach?

Are the kids to "soft"? Is it just to hard?

There is a lot more questions here, but I think you get it!

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most problems, if not all, are parental problems at the root.

 

 

I agree. In a lot of cases it's the parents who feel their kids aren't playing as much as they should, and they contantly gripe and complain about the coach in front of their kids, and fill their kids with all kinds of negative thoughts about their coach.

  • Author
Most problems, if not all, are parental problems at the root.

 

I think some can be coach problems, but I seem to think most problems are parental. I would like to think there are more good Coaches than bad. How do Administrations deal with supporting the coaches?

I had one parent told me I should chart shot attempts and limit every player to a certain number so that all had equal opportunity. When one player reached their shot limits, they would be told to not shoot anymore.

 

Jodi Meeks would have topped out at about 18 points against Tennessee if that parent would have been the coach.

I had one parent told me I should chart shot attempts and limit every player to a certain number so that all had equal opportunity. When one player reached their shot limits, they would be told to not shoot anymore.

 

Jodi Meeks would have topped out at about 18 points against Tennessee if that parent would have been the coach.

 

Seems to me that it would be pretty fun to be the opposing coach.

 

"Johnny has taken all his shots, so no need to guard him the rest of the game."

hahahaha that is funny! I do think parents would be better off encouraging the kids to support and respect the coaches overall and not getting involved in being critical of their playing time.

Seems to me that it would be pretty fun to be the opposing coach.

 

"Johnny has taken all his shots, so no need to guard him the rest of the game."

 

The parent ruined a really good guard that could have put us over the top and on our way to Bowling Green. She could have played in college and ended up not playing her senior year.

hahahaha that is funny! I do think parents would be better off encouraging the kids to support and respect the coaches overall and not getting involved in being critical of their playing time.

 

Unfortunately we only hear about the parents that are the problems. I hope that most parents are doing just that, "encouraging the kids to support and respect the coaches"

Unfortunately we only hear about the parents that are the problems. I hope that most parents are doing just that' date=' "encouraging the kids to support and respect the coaches"[/quote']

 

GREAT POINT!! 95% of the parents I dealt with were great and I would love to be coaching their child again.

 

Unfortunately, you spend 95% of your time dealing with the issues the 5% causes.

Parents can be a mixed blessing. It is hard for them to bow out at the school level when they have been involved in rec league, city leagues and aau. I think sometimes they don't realize it it time to turn over to a professional. There are so many ways parents can help - it takes a skilled coach to supervise all aspects of athletic programs - volunteers, staff, kids, etc.

 

Also, sometimes other parents are critical of a parent who is involved - thinking that is the only reason their child is getting playing time - when it might not be - that helpful parent may have a good athlete!

We played a game recently in which there was a kid on the other team that was 8-9 inches taller and 150 pounds bigger than anyone on our team.

 

A parent kept yelling for their child to get in front of him, get in front of him.

 

We had a game plan for that child to be behind him and another to be right in front of him.

 

So, the parent was yelling, he didn't know the game plan, the exact opposite that we wanted the kid to do. Guess who got in trouble when he didn't do what the coaches wanted him to do?

 

Some times the parents yell certain things and they have no clue what they are talking about.

 

I hear parents yell shoot the ball when the offense is doing nothing but running the offense and waiting for a good shot and haven't passed up a good shot.

  • Author
hahahaha that is funny! I do think parents would be better off encouraging the kids to support and respect the coaches overall and not getting involved in being critical of their playing time.

 

Did I take your post about Coach Biggs (In another thread) wrong? You sounded critical of him only playing 7/8 players.:popcorn:

Did I take your post about Coach Biggs (In another thread) wrong? You sounded critical of him only playing 7/8 players.:popcorn:

 

Worked for him at Pendleton when he went to the state. Never played more than 7/8.

  • Author

I have heard many parents yell the exact opposite of what a kid has been taught many times.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.