Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Parents Running Programs

Featured Replies

The player should be the first person to talk to the coach.

 

It is a life learning moment for the player. If the child has a problem at McDonald's where they work, are the parents going into talk to the manager or is the child?

 

The child is there to learn a lesson for the rest of their life.

 

You make a very good point and I can certainly agree.

I was mainly talking that if a parent felt they had to question something then there is a right and a wrong way to go about it.:thumb:

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids (and parents) have a difficult time evaluating their own/child's talent. I agree a kid should approach the coach rather than the parent but sometimes it is almost impossible as some coaches will not communicate with players and their record speaks for itself. Typically, they are not successful. I also believe if coaches kept accurate statistics on everything (steals, assists, rebounds, turnovers, FG%, FT%, block shots, fouls/including offensive, deflections, etc.) that you are awarding playing time based on performance, not opinion or favoritism. It is difficult to argue with statistics and surprising how many coaches don't keep them. If an athlete thinks he should be playing over someone else, match them up head to head (by position if necessary) in practice and may the best man win. Many times a player thinks they are outperforming someone else but they are actually finding the weakest player in drills and scrimmage situations so their performance may not be a true reflection of who they are competing with for playing time. I also agree that premier athletes do play and the cream always rises to the top but athletes that are very comparable should have their playing time based on performance. This is where politics, personal favors and things like the family tree all attended the school and played a particular sport sometimes have an impact. Ultimately, playing time should be earned and in most cases it is but unfortunately in some cases, it is not. Lastly, as to shouting from the stands, I do not have a problem with stating words like rebound, hustle etc. that are positive words of encouragement and not directed at individual players whether you are a parent or a spectator.

The player should be the first person to talk to the coach.

 

It is a life learning moment for the player. If the child has a problem at McDonald's where they work, are the parents going into talk to the manager or is the child?

 

The child is there to learn a lesson for the rest of their life.

 

I agree to a certain extent, but if there is a problem at Mcdonalds that the student cannot handle he can always move to Burger King, Wendy's, or Arby's. With school ball it is a little more difficult to just pack up and move. I am just saying that some problems may be beyond the student's control.

You make a very good point and I can certainly agree.

I was mainly talking that if a parent felt they had to question something then there is a right and a wrong way to go about it.:thumb:

 

Parents need to STAY out of it. I can't even imagine how I would have felt had one of my parents approached my coaches about an issue.

I agree to a certain extent, but if there is a problem at Mcdonalds that the student cannot handle he can always move to Burger King, Wendy's, or Arby's. With school ball it is a little more difficult to just pack up and move. I am just saying that some problems may be beyond the student's control.

 

Like what kind of problems? 99% of parents issues are either playing time, or how Lil Johnny is being utilized. These kids need to grow up at some point in time. Very enabling to think a 16, 17 or 18 year old cannot handle any issues they may have with a coach. I get a lot of these kids in the workplace 5-6 years later, and a lot of them do not have the skills to succeed as adults. I have yet to hear from a parent though. That would be real interesting.

I have seen many times where parents coach from the stands. It's a case where the parents THINK they know more than the coach. One parent in particular, who has never coached basketball before, was not only coaching his son from the stands, but decided he was going to call other players by name and coach them during games. I had the other players and parents of the other players ask me to tell him to stop. That's pretty bad when everybody in the stands wants you to be quiet. Plus, this parent's kid actually asked me to remove his father from the stands so he could play without listening to his dad. Pretty sad if you ask me. I think it's a case where the parent never amounted to much in athletics and is trying to live through his kids experiences.

 

I just think it is sad that this happens. In my experience, the kids want to please their coaches and their parents and this puts them in the middle, which is not at all fair to them. Many years ago I coached girl's basketball and actually had a player crying in the locker room after the game because she was afraid she disappointed her dad because she didn't do what he was telling her to do (I think it was something like bringing the ball up the floor, but she was NOT a guard and had no business doing that in games). Why do some parents put their kids through this?

 

Coaches are doing their job, trying to teach basketball, teamwork, work ethic, and other intangibles that will help their child in the long run, yet they face adversity with every move? Parents need to let the coaches do their job, and if they have an issue, take it up with the appropriate authorities. Otherwise, let the coaches coach and let the kids play!

Many parents I feel are trying to run programs at their schools. Have coached some myself parents are the biggest problem coaching today. Parents need to support the programs at their schools and not try to run them. Have talked to coaches at other schools and it seems that many schoools now are having trouble with the parents. Coaches may not always be right but parents should not bad mouth coach in front of their children.

Seriously, when do parents even come close to running a program?

Seriously, when do parents even come close to running a program?

 

:isurrender:When the coach lets them. :deadhorse:

Parents need to STAY out of it. I can't even imagine how I would have felt had one of my parents approached my coaches about an issue.

 

I agree, but you and I both know that will never be the case.

When the coach lets them.

 

:thumb::thumb:

Seriously, when do parents even come close to running a program?

 

When they coach the team:laugh:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.