Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Tomcats and Boyd County Lions

Featured Replies

I totally agree that fundamentals are not being taught correctly. Nothing makes me cringe more than a dad proudly sticking out his chest when 12 yr old little "junior" hits a 3 with the ugliest shot imaginable pushed out of 2 hands. If I had a nickel for everytime a dad has looked at me and said, "he can do that all day long...". I want to say, "why?".

 

Incorrect shooting and kids catching the ball & bringing it down to their waist to push it up before they shoot is quite common in highschool sports.

 

I won't comment further on the "powers that be" in the Ashland program except to say that it has less to do with those fellas than people think. I could name all the Boosters and tell you that they are every bit as bewildered by the problem as those out of the loop. Noone wants to see hardworking kids quit.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I totally agree that fundamentals are not being taught correctly. Nothing makes me cringe more than a dad proudly sticking out his chest when 12 yr old little "junior" hits a 3 with the ugliest shot imaginable pushed out of 2 hands. If I had a nickel for everytime a dad has looked at me and said, "he can do that all day long...". I want to say, "why?".

 

Incorrect shooting and kids catching the ball & bringing it down to their waist to push it up before they shoot is quite common in highschool sports.

 

I won't comment further on the "powers that be" in the Ashland program except to say that it has less to do with those fellas than people think. I could name all the Boosters and tell you that they are every bit as bewildered by the problem as those out of the loop. Noone wants to see hardworking kids quit.

 

Does Biggs have any influence over the feeder system or is it still ran by Rannie Cooper? I know a parent told me that this year they had a tournament after only a handful of practices.

I can tell your from experience in the Ashland system that the things surrounding the program are the main problem. Not the feeder system or even fundamentals. I was in the system by choice and if I would have had another choice I would have been out of the system !!!!!!!

 

 

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Well I agree with chuckbarkley99 too many kids aren't being taught properly in the feeder system. With the most recent changes in the elementary program I'm sure there were some glitches and disappointments surrounding practice time, etc. I wish a younger man wirh energy and entusiasm would find the time to take over the program and implement some real training techniques instead of just playing games. Us old guys just don't have what it takes anymore, sadly. Just my opinion

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

  • Author
I can tell your from experience in the Ashland system that the things surrounding the program are the main problem. Not the feeder system or even fundamentals. I was in the system by choice and if I would have had another choice I would have been out of the system !!!!!!!

 

 

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

 

That is excess use of the puke guy. You must feel pretty strongly about the situation. When you say "things" are you refering to circumstances or people?

Another point to be made is that in Ohio and WV kids play on 8.5 foot baskets but in KY they play on 10 foot baskets which automatically sets a young kid up for shooting incorrectly. Thats why in my opinion the shooters from WV and OH are better when they reach highschool and beyond than they are from Ashland.

  • Author
Another point to be made is that in Ohio and WV kids play on 8.5 foot baskets but in KY they play on 10 foot baskets which automatically sets a young kid up for shooting incorrectly. Thats why in my opinion the shooters from WV and OH are better when they reach highschool and beyond than they are from Ashland.

 

That would explain why we are falling behind other states but not other programs in the 16th region.

That is excess use of the puke guy. You must feel pretty strongly about the situation. When you say "things" are you refering to circumstances or people?

 

Unfortuneately the "circumstances" Ashand finds itself in are brought on by the "people" surrounding the program. Negativity breeds Negativity.

 

I don't believe in the 8ft or 9ft goal philosophy. Kentucky's high schools have some of the best pure shooters in the surrounding states. I actually believe it works the opposite way. I've seen kids programs that have 8ft goals and those kids don't shoot with any better form than kids playing on 10ft. goals. Most kids don't usually start shooting with correct form until their in the 8th or 9th grade no matter what state they play in. Just my opinion.....

 

:thumb:

If you want to watch the shorter baskets in action come to First Baptist on Winchester Ave Saturday morning and watch the games. We have great hot dogs.

I can tell your from experience in the Ashland system that the things surrounding the program are the main problem. Not the feeder system or even fundamentals. I was in the system by choice and if I would have had another choice I would have been out of the system !!!!!!!

 

 

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

 

Is one of those things about 5"1 and screams :scared:go -go-go-go and is the other thing about 6"4 and screams :bunny:jump at the ball -jump at the ball!

  • Author
Is one of those things about 5"1 and screams :scared:go -go-go-go and is the other thing about 6"4 and screams :bunny:jump at the ball -jump at the ball!

 

So you think height differential on the coaching staff is the issue?:D

 

Let me ask this, how much of the blame should be place on parents? Are this generation babied too much? Just asking.

I heard on the game Monday because I guees of Boyd's Departures they were playing an 8th grade on the Varsity against West.

  • Author
I heard on the game Monday because I guees of Boyd's Departures they were playing an 8th grade on the Varsity against West.

 

:scared: How many kids has the county lost?

I do not kow form the start of the year. But Steele who was their best player and the bit 6'6" Messer kid over the past couple of weeks.

I do not kow form the start of the year. But Steele who was their best player and the bit 6'6" Messer kid over the past couple of weeks.

 

Anybody know WHY they left this late in the season?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.