Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Tomcats and Boyd County Lions

Featured Replies

I believe Whetsel played for years with the Rose Hill kids. So will the powers that be not allow Whetsel to continue his AAU activities?

 

Can't answer for the powers, never could figure them out.

Its more an "unspoken" thing than a "spoken" rule.

Depends if you want to be in the in crowd or the out crowd I guess.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't answer for the powers, never could figure them out.

Its more an "unspoken" thing than a "spoken" rule.

Depends if you want to be in the in crowd or the out crowd I guess.

 

If I take this post correctly, I have to agree. I cant see the "powers that be" allowing him to play AAU with the Rose Hill crowd without repurcussions. Im not claiming inside info, just judging from history.

  • Author
If I take this post correctly, I have to agree. I cant see the "powers that be" allowing him to play AAU with the Rose Hill crowd without repurcussions. Im not claiming inside info, just judging from history.

 

 

I guess doing what is best for the kids isn't a priority. Once again I have to ask is this coming from Biggs or high up the ladder?

Well, with all the open gyms (supposedly voluntary) and basketball camps Ashland players are required to attend as a team the only period Ashland is down is the required dead period. Like football, basketball is almost a year around endeavor at Blazer. There aren't many players who play only basketball though. Most play football and a handful play soccer or baseball. I have no idea where the adversity to AAU comes from but it was that way when Flynn was there as well.

  • Author
Well, with all the open gyms (supposedly voluntary) and basketball camps Ashland players are required to attend as a team the only period Ashland is down is the required dead period. Like football, basketball is almost a year around endeavor at Blazer. There aren't many players who play only basketball though. Most play football and a handful play soccer or baseball. I have no idea where the adversity to AAU comes from but it was that way when Flynn was there as well.

 

So it most likely isn't Biggs and ZB23 said that the AD was supportive. So who is laying the law down on Blazer Blvd.?

I do remember a few years ago hearing that on the elementary level the youth league would not allow gradeschool players to be on another league other than the Ashland Youth Basketball League. I knew then of a few kids who were on both a Huntington league and the youth league but they had to keep their participation quiet. I believe Rannie Cooper was over the youth league at that time. Does anyone know if those rules have changed with the new youth system in effect?

  • Author
I do remember a few years ago hearing that on the elementary level the youth league would not allow gradeschool players to be on another league other than the Ashland Youth Basketball League. I knew then of a few kids who were on both a Huntington league and the youth league but they had to keep their participation quiet. I believe Rannie Cooper was over the youth league at that time. Does anyone know if those rules have changed with the new youth system in effect?

 

I wasn't aware that there was a change in the grade school system. I know that for years the grade schools in Ashland were only allowed to schedule each other except for a couple of tournaments.

Explain?

 

I dont believe that Hoops5 needs to explain anymore than he has already stated. Wanna know more, then come to the game and see for yourself. You will figure it out quickly.:thumb:

I dont believe that Hoops5 needs to explain anymore than he has already stated. Wanna know more, then come to the game and see for yourself. You will figure it out quickly.:thumb:

 

Exactly! Like I said before its very obvious. :ohbrother:

The 6th grade is still ie. Poage Pioneers, Hager Wildcats, Oakview Comets, etc. but the 4th and 5th grade teams are now mixed up with kids from each elementary and go by other names ie. "Cardinals", etc. They aren't affiliated with the gradeschools any longer. Its more of a draft system this year.

  • Author
The 6th grade is still ie. Poage Pioneers, Hager Wildcats, Oakview Comets, etc. but the 4th and 5th grade teams are now mixed up with kids from each elementary and go by other names ie. "Cardinals", etc. They aren't affiliated with the gradeschools any longer. Its more of a draft system this year.

 

That's a step in the right direction but the kids are still isolated from other good teams. I think this makes them think they are better than they are and when they get to middle school reality sets in.

 

Who is over the grade school league? Is it ran by the school system?

  • Author
Exactly! Like I said before its very obvious. :ohbrother:

 

I'm sorry guys I'm just not that familiar with the situation at Boyd but I do remember them being a force in the 80's and 90's and to have fallen on such hard times is almost unbelievable.

So it most likely isn't Biggs and ZB23 said that the AD was supportive. So who is laying the law down on Blazer Blvd.?

Biggs to my understanding is very supportive of any kids wanting to play AAU.

But the hierarchy had already squawshed it before Biggs got here. You can play it if you want too, but do so at your own risk is the general perception.

But the point is pretty moot now, Ashland in the past used to have players that could have competed at the statewide level. Unfortunately, That is no longer the case.

  • Author
Biggs to my understanding is very supportive of any kids wanting to play AAU.

But the hierarchy had already squawshed it before Biggs got here. You can play it if you want too, but do so at your own risk is the general perception.

But the point is pretty moot now, Ashland in the past used to have players that could have competed at the statewide level. Unfortunately, That is no longer the case.

 

So Biggs supports it, the AD supports it, so who is the heirarchy? And why is anyone other than the head coach or AD making these decisions? I think that maybe the problem.

 

I mentioned earlier about the outside influences that are controlling Ashland's basketball program, trublu disagreed. I respect trublu and his post seem to be sincere but I have to tell you that I think outside influences have lead Ashland to it's current state.

 

Apparently, as Boyd Co supporters have said, the say can be said for Boyd Co.

I think if you look close enough you will find the problems stem from the feeder programs. Every where you look these coaches are teaching plays and presses to kids who can't shoot or dribble. Kids are also shooting 3's at too early of an age even if they have to shoot it from their knees. Almost every team used to have at least a couple of great shooters,not so much anymore. Who were the last great shooters that didn;t have to be wide open at Ashland and Boyd ?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.