Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Tomcats and Boyd County Lions

Featured Replies

In the not to distant past these were the super powers of the 16th region and now they both are fading, especially Boyd. I know it has been discussed in game threads but not in a thread of it's own. If you look at their current rosters both are lacking in overall talent and upperclassmen.

 

Someone in the know tell us what is going on.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it's a combination of things that have hurt both programs over the years. Both used to have two Jr. highs instead of one middle school. That allowed for the devolpment of more players as both schools would have teams. The loss of jobs at AK Steel and Ashland Oil over the years has led to the decrease in population in the area. The emergence of Rose Hill has given parents another option where to send their kids. I believe the development in video games has generally made kids lazier today. I know you don't see nearly as many kids out playing ball for hours at a time like we did when I was a kid. I'm sure others can find other reason for the cause.

Does Ashland have any talent coming up in the near future?

Does Ashland have any talent coming up in the near future?

 

 

I don't know for sure, but I've been told by a few people that the talent level is very thin on the middle school level.

I'm not informed enough to comment on the situation at Ashland. I feel that kids are being run off at Boyd. You can't be picky when the numbers and talent are down. I also think many kids are choosing to play one sport now. My little brother for example had played basketball, baseball and football since he was old enough to run. He's now decided to dedicate himself to football.

 

Both programs probably need a complete over haul from top to bottom.

 

I also feel that Boyd has gone through too many coaches lately. No one sticks around long enough to build a program.

I thought Dane Damron was on his way to building a strong program. Where does he coach now?

I'm not informed enough to comment on the situation at Ashland. I feel that kids are being run off at Boyd. You can't be picky when the numbers and talent are down. I also think many kids are choosing to play one sport now. My little brother for example had played basketball, baseball and football since he was old enough to run. He's now decided to dedicate himself to football.

 

Both programs probably need a complete over haul from top to bottom.

 

I also feel that Boyd has gone through too many coaches lately. No one sticks around long enough to build a program.

 

A lot of programs/coachs are wanting students to play only ONE sport so that they can put 110% in that year. For example: football-they want the kids working with weights during the off season. I know there are counties whose coaches just DONT want to share talent, which is sad.

I have seen kids that could have gone to college on three different scholarships, but those days are long gone.

  • Author
I thought Dane Damron was on his way to building a strong program. Where does he coach now?

 

 

He is the head coach at Kentucky Christian University.

A lot of programs/coachs are wanting students to play only ONE sport so that they can put 110% in that year. For example: football-they want the kids working with weights during the off season. I know there are counties whose coaches just DONT want to share talent, which is sad.

I have seen kids that could have gone to college on three different scholarships, but those days are long gone.

 

:thumb:

 

That's the reason my younger brother is no longer playing basketball or baseball. In the coaches defense though, my little brother actually decided this one on his own. He wanted to start working out with the football team and basketball got in the way of that.

 

I agree with you though, coaches need to learn to share their talent.

He is the head coach at Kentucky Christian University.

 

 

Didn't he resign to take a job at Eastern Kentucky?

  • Author
Didn't he resign to take a job at Eastern Kentucky?

 

I don't know. I should say he left Boyd for KCU.

Didn't he resign to take a job at Eastern Kentucky?

 

Yes he is now the Tight Ends and Special Teams Coach at EKU.

I think one of the worst things to happen to Ashland basketball was the arrival of Leon Hart. As soon as he was named head football coach, football took priority once again. I know of at least seven or eight players who quit basketball just to solely concentrate of football. Many would have been seniors this year.

Ashland needs to clean house from the top down.:rolleyes:

  • Author
Ashland needs to clean house from the top down.:rolleyes:

 

Down to where? Grade schools? I'm not trying to be smart but what would be your solution?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.