Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland Tomcats and Boyd County Lions

Featured Replies

Did all these players quit under Biggs (I'm not close enough to the program to know)? If so, I have heard that Biggs does run very tough practices (of course, this is just what I have heard). If these players quit because the practices were too hard then it is not the coach's fault - these players would not be the "winning" players needed for the team to be successful anyway. If they left because of limited playing time then let 'em go. It is in a coach's best interests to play the best players. No coach is going to reduce a players clock if it hurts his chance of winning. The best players play the most, if you want more clock just play harder and earn it - or quit.

 

Bottom line - too many high schoolers are spoiled and expect things they haven't yet earned. I respect coaches who do not cater to them or their parents. I guess I'm just old school

All 3 kids were starters.:eyeonyou:
  • Replies 168
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
All 3 kids were starters.:eyeonyou:

 

Well there goes that.

Yeah, ZB23, they were starters and now they are quitters. They didn't quit on Buddy, they quit on their team, on their school, and on themselves!!!

 

I think that kids today have no heart and they do NOT want to work hard and EARN their playing time. They want it handed to them, because they started in middle school and they started on the freshmen team. JMI

  • Author
Yeah, ZB23, they were starters and now they are quitters. They didn't quit on Buddy, they quit on their team, on their school, and on themselves!!!

 

I think that kids today have no heart and they do NOT want to work hard and EARN their playing time. They want it handed to them, because they started in middle school and they started on the freshmen team. JMI

 

TOPCAT, it sounds like they had earned playing time. I think it is unfair to lump everyone in with a "kids today" comment. I don't see kids quitting at Fairview or Rose Hill. Are their kids different?

All 3 kids were starters.:eyeonyou:

 

Now I am confused - if it wasn't playing time or starting positions why would they quit? What else can a coach do to keep players?

  • Author
By the way, the word is that the next best player at Boyd is gone now.

 

 

Wow! Whom would that be. Feel free to pm me.

  • Author
Now I am confused - if it wasn't playing time or starting positions why would they quit? What else can a coach do to keep players?

 

That's a great question.

Weighing in again on the Ashland situation. Yes, all who most recently threw in the towel were starters, Bowling, Rowe, JD Adams and all are good kids and hard workers. So the "pt" theory doesn't work here. John Baldock wasn't given much of a chance as a junior so he hung it up at the end of last year. This makes the only remaining senior - Ryan Bonner.

 

I do think Biggs is knowledgable of the game, works the kids hard and of course wants to win. However, it has been suggested to me that he may not be the best communicator where youth is concerned and the young men find it difficult to relate to him. When that many kids who have played basketball their entire life just give up their dreams within a short period of time....something is wrong. People, we don't see the practices and noone can comment on those except for the kids and coaches involved.

 

I doubt there will be any clear cut answers to the problems anytime soon, if ever, so I say push ahead......work with what you have and get the feeder system going in the right direction. This year may not be a total loss. As some have said, losing by 1 point doesn't make you a bad team. Don't give up on them yet!!

  • Author
Weighing in again on the Ashland situation. Yes, all who most recently threw in the towel were starters, Bowling, Rowe, JD Adams and all are good kids and hard workers. So the "pt" theory doesn't work here. John Baldock wasn't given much of a chance as a junior so he hung it up at the end of last year. This makes the only remaining senior - Ryan Bonner.

 

I do think Biggs is knowledgable of the game, works the kids hard and of course wants to win. However, it has been suggested to me that he may not be the best communicator where youth is concerned and the young men find it difficult to relate to him. When that many kids who have played basketball their entire life just give up their dreams within a short period of time....something is wrong. People, we don't see the practices and noone can comment on those except for the kids and coaches involved.

 

I doubt there will be any clear cut answers to the problems anytime soon, if ever, so I say push ahead......work with what you have and get the feeder system going in the right direction. This year may not be a total loss. As some have said, losing by 1 point doesn't make you a bad team. Don't give up on them yet!!

 

Trublu, I agree about not giving up on this year. My point is that the future doesn't appear all that bright to me. If, and that is a big if, we continue to loss players that could contribute in their senior year, or if we see another coaching change, then we could see repeats of this season. Granted this season isn't over and if it were to end today it wouldn't be a total loss but I have a higher expectation than what I am seeing.

Wow! Whom would that be. Feel free to pm me.

 

Trevor Hall is their best player.

Weighing in again on the Ashland situation. Yes, all who most recently threw in the towel were starters, Bowling, Rowe, JD Adams and all are good kids and hard workers. So the "pt" theory doesn't work here. John Baldock wasn't given much of a chance as a junior so he hung it up at the end of last year. This makes the only remaining senior - Ryan Bonner.

 

I do think Biggs is knowledgable of the game, works the kids hard and of course wants to win. However, it has been suggested to me that he may not be the best communicator where youth is concerned and the young men find it difficult to relate to him. When that many kids who have played basketball their entire life just give up their dreams within a short period of time....something is wrong. People, we don't see the practices and noone can comment on those except for the kids and coaches involved.

 

I doubt there will be any clear cut answers to the problems anytime soon, if ever, so I say push ahead......work with what you have and get the feeder system going in the right direction. This year may not be a total loss. As some have said, losing by 1 point doesn't make you a bad team. Don't give up on them yet!!

 

Must not be much of a dream if the players quit after a lifetime of playing just because the coach doesn't "communicate" well with the players. High school kids need to get used to it - they may not be best friends with their boss later in life either.

 

Just to add, if a player quits at the end or before the season begins so be it, they have fulfilled their committment. But I personally feel that if a player starts a season he should finish it - to do otherwise is not just letting the coach down, but also the team.

Hopefully, Ashland will not continue to lose players. I think it's in the programs best interest to develop and encourage the kids they have. There is more talent there than you think. Coach Biggs is only playing 7-8 boys and his plan was to play 10. kids can't improve without "pt". He might be surprised at some of his bench strength if he would only trust it and give them a couple of min to get comfortable on the floor.

 

I take exception with posters implying that there is little talent coming up in Ashland. I disagree with that opinion. No, there are no Timmy Knipps, but honestly how many of those are there?? We do have boys who can play ball.

I agree with you Over and Back about not quitting in the middle. However, since it's happened several times...I doubt it is the young men. It's also a shame that others have decided not to return. Losing too many = a problem and personality problems if it were just once, well ok, but numerous times??? Go figure.

Lets not forget what Biggs did at Pendleton County he had a ton of talent over the 3-4 year run,I would say 3-5 Colleage players on those teams.As soon as the well ran dry and just look at the last couple years and this year and theres no denying the well was empty he darted.I think it was more of what talent he had not what he did so much at PC.

 

1 DI talent: Keeton Belcher at Belmont that almost beat Duke last year in NCAA's.

1 DII talent: Tyler Mains who went to North Greenville University

2 DIII talents: Joey Verax who is winding down a great career at Transy and Mason O'hara at Thomas More

1 NAIA talent: Pat Elliott who played a season at Berea College

1 NAIA talent: Jon Elrod who went to Georgetown and I think played at least one season as a walk-on or ended up playing soccer.

 

That was very unusual talent pooled at one time at Pendleton.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.