Bengals Draft

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bengals almost need help everywhere...

:thumb:

And, when you need help everywhere, it's smart to start with the trenches...they should pick the best available lineman, which will most likely be one of those OT's in 2009.

Seriously, looking at Cincy...

QB - They're set with Carson.

RB - Benson showed enough promise to keep. They're good enough at that position, especially considering the rest of the roster needs.

WR - They have Chad. And, they drafted two guys last year (Simpson and Caldwell). Regardless of what happens with TJ, this position does not need to be addressed early in the draft.

TE - Utecht was signed last off-season. Again, not the most pressing need.

OL - Andrews is going to be a good one, I think. Drafting a stud lineman has to be a priority and there should be some good tackle prospects in this draft.

DL - Decent ends with Odom and Geathers, but an upgrade wouldn't hurt. As has been the case for the past decade, they interior line is weak.

LB - Rivers looks like a keeper. But, that still leaves two spots to fill.

DB - I think they should leave the secondary alone for the most part. Until they fix the front four, they're wasting their time and money drafting guys for the back seven.

They have to focus on the trenches. Fix that and you've got a pretty good football team...

And, when you need help everywhere, it's smart to start with the trenches...they should pick the best available lineman, which will most likely be one of those OT's in 2009.

Seriously, looking at Cincy...

QB - They're set with Carson.

RB - Benson showed enough promise to keep. They're good enough at that position, especially considering the rest of the roster needs.

WR - They have Chad. And, they drafted two guys last year (Simpson and Caldwell). Regardless of what happens with TJ, this position does not need to be addressed early in the draft.

TE - Utecht was signed last off-season. Again, not the most pressing need.

OL - Andrews is going to be a good one, I think. Drafting a stud lineman has to be a priority and there should be some good tackle prospects in this draft.

DL - Decent ends with Odom and Geathers, but an upgrade wouldn't hurt. As has been the case for the past decade, they interior line is weak.

LB - Rivers looks like a keeper. But, that still leaves two spots to fill.

DB - I think they should leave the secondary alone for the most part. Until they fix the front four, they're wasting their time and money drafting guys for the back seven.

They have to focus on the trenches. Fix that and you've got a pretty good football team...

Agree on the trenches. I'm not sold on Andrews especially coming off knee surgery. Williams is a decent guard. Center is a problem. Whit is a good Guard. Lookout? Well nuff said. 2 new guys filled in adequately.

DL. Odom was injured, so hard to judge him on his own. Geathers had a whopping 38 Total tackles and a staggering 2.5 sacks. Better off at LB.

I did like Sims.

Thats a lot to fix in one year. I think Carson is somewhat of a ? also. Can he survive behind a mediocre at best line? I think that was answered. Can he become the Carson of old?

Benson may be OK. Who else do they have besides him? Cris ( instead of Stephen Jackson) Perry? Not gonna get it done.

Utecht, another injury victim. He doesn't seem to be able to take the punishment recieved while going after CPs errant throws.

WR big problem if CJ leaves.

I agree with you on the secondary and the LB positions.

One thing not mentioned are the special teams. ??

Pretty good is a pipedream.

Agree on the trenches. I'm not sold on Andrews especially coming off knee surgery. Williams is a decent guard. Center is a problem. Whit is a good Guard. Lookout? Well nuff said. 2 new guys filled in adequately.

DL. Odom was injured, so hard to judge him on his own. Geathers had a whopping 38 Total tackles and a staggering 2.5 sacks. Better off at LB.

I did like Sims.

Thats a lot to fix in one year. I think Carson is somewhat of a ? also. Can he survive behind a mediocre at best line? I think that was answered. Can he become the Carson of old?

Benson may be OK. Who else do they have besides him? Cris ( instead of Stephen Jackson) Perry? Not gonna get it done.

Utecht, another injury victim. He doesn't seem to be able to take the punishment recieved while going after CPs errant throws.

It is not as much too fix as you think. I say bye to Andrews and Jones(unless Andrews signs for alot less and becomes a back up)and put in Collins who did a good job, draft another and a center. The defense when healthy will improve even more on their #12 ranking, which I find almost unbelievable for being on the field so often and so many injuries.

Sportingnews

#6 - Bengals - Brian Orakpo DE Texas

"The Bengals must find a way to pressure the QB. Orakpo is raw but has the physical talent to become a special edge pass rusher."

I think the go OT first then find a way to get a pass rusher for one of the WR's maybe. I would then try to find a LBer in the 2nd.

Knowing Mike Brown, he'll draft a QB.

I would like to see them get Rey Maualuga, ILB from USC, regardless of when!

I would absolutely love it if the Bengals selected this guy. Start winning with hard nosed, hard hitting defense. The elements are here for this. They just lack the "Odell Thurman" type. And this guy fits the mold.

It is not as much too fix as you think. I say bye to Andrews and Jones(unless Andrews signs for alot less and becomes a back up)and put in Collins who did a good job, draft another and a center. The defense when healthy will improve even more on their #12 ranking, which I find almost unbelievable for being on the field so often and so many injuries.

Maybe they can get back to 8-8:thumb:

Sportingnews

#6 - Bengals - Brian Orakpo DE Texas

"The Bengals must find a way to pressure the QB. Orakpo is raw but has the physical talent to become a special edge pass rusher."

Per SI's Mock Draft

6 DE/LB Brian Orakpo Texas Sr. 6-4 260

The Bengals could really use help at offensive tackle or running back, but their need for an impact defensive end probably trumps everything. "O-Sack-Po" is the consensus top-rated end, and his blend of speed, size and athleticism earned him both the Lombardi Award (nation's best lineman) and the Nagurski Trophy (nation's top defensive player).

I would absolutely love it if the Bengals selected this guy. Start winning with hard nosed, hard hitting defense. The elements are here for this. They just lack the "Odell Thurman" type. And this guy fits the mold.

Hopefully, he doesn't have the addictions, just the hitting, that Thurman brought to the team!

I did like Sims.

Not a pipe dream if they fix the lines...put a good offensive line in front of Carson Palmer and the Bengals offense will be solid (assuming Chad stays). I like Rivers and the talent in the secondary...so, if you fix the front four, you have a solid defense as well. That's what I meant by the "pretty good team" statement. They have enough elsewhere to have a good team if the lines weren't so bad.

But, they're not going to fix defensive line in this draft. The best bet is to pick one of those stud OT's and address the C position through the draft or free agency and hope you can find a good interior defensive lineman in the 2010 draft.

We all know they won't, but if the Bengals actually made some good personnel decisions, they could be a good team in a couple of seasons.

If you don't solidify your line play, there's no point in even acting like you're trying to compete.

I want them to draft Andre Smith if he is there, but probably won't be. Next Orakpo, he is a MONSTER! Then Monroe or Oher.

Smith is definitely the guy I'd want if I were Cincy. I'd even consider trading up to get him.