3A: Breathitt County Bobcats (11-2) at Belfry Pirates (13-0)

Birdsfan

Who wins this game?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are thinking about last year where Belfry manhandled Breathitt enroute to a 62-28 beating. It seems a lot of fans are thinking we are looking at more of the same and that would be a mistake, imo.

That game last season turned out that way, but we caught some breaks along the way. If those two teams played again, it would have been closer.

This Breathitt team is not the same team they were last year. I think the Bobcats are a lot better and more balanced. Fugatte is a monster and will be a big time challenge for Belfry. Nobody lse has been able to stop him all year, especially the last half of the season. The best you can hope for it seems is to slow him down.

This should be a great game, as most of the games in this series have been.

All the other playoff matchups between these two over the last 10 years have been nail biters. Every game was decided by a TD or less, with the exception of 2002. In that game Breathitt led 7-0 with about a minute and a half left to play in the infamous mud bowl. Belfry's last two desperation passes were intercepted and returned for touchdowns for the final margin.

99 - Breathitt 47 Belfry 42 Round 2

00 - Breathitt 28 Belfry 20 Round 2

01 - Belfry 27 Breathitt 26 Round 2

02 - Breathitt 21 Belfry 00 Round 3

Belfry doesn't seem to be as dominant this season, so I'd be surprised if they won in the same fashion as last year.

But, I'm not convinced this Breathitt team is as good as last year's either...I still expect Belfry's offense to be a very difficult matchup for the Bobcats. The way they played against Estill County last night is reason for optimism, but Belfry is a whole different animal.

Keys to the game...

Breathitt's defense has to be able to get some stops against Belfry's rushing attack. If it's like last year when the Pirates were 3-5 yards past the LOS before first contact, there's no chance. Breathitt can't allow that again and let Belfry chew up clock and wear them down.

Get stops. Move the ball and get it in the end zone. Breathitt really needs to play this game with a lead. If they could get Belfry into some passing situations, they could pull it out.

I definitely think Breathitt has a chance. But, it's a tall order and they've got their work cut out for them. Anything less than their best and it could get ugly.