Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Letcher Central 34 Southwestern 6

Featured Replies

They have only won seven games in the last wo years.

 

 

That's right, I had it in my head that they went 4-6 in 2007. They're 7-14 the last 2 seasons.

I look forward to watching the Bears and Warriors play in the 1st game of the season next year in the Ray Correll Bowl. They will bounce back, SWHS is a very good program.

Unfortunately this one turned out as I was afraid it would. The bad snap on the punt early in the first quarter that gave Letcher a saftey seemed to set the tone of the game. Letcher was much more ready to play. They dominated both sides of the line. Had the Southwestern coaches given up hope when they stopped putting anyone back to return punts. Both the players and coaches should share the blame. I really feel bad for most of the players, while they had a lot of tallent alot of other teams have a lot of tallent as well. I think one of the problems was they were led to think they were great before the season even started, not their fault. When you talk about all of the talent on this team I wonder why they were playing two freshmen at linebacker. While I'm sure these kids have a great future they were usually taken out of the play. It makes you wonder if the coaches had the right people in the right places. The same can be said about some other spots as well. Best of luck to the Seniors, I wish the season had turned out better, I'm sure you worked really hard. The Warrior football team has earned alot of respect over the years, it's sad to see what has happened in the last two years. I hope Coach A can make the necessary changes when he starts working on next year, and look back at what has caused the program to slide.

 

I find a lot of rubbish in your post. We are on the same team (I think anyways) and for you to put the blame on the coaches, which you have virtually all year, I think you need to step back and actually see who was executing (or not). Maybe that's why they had 2 freshmen playing LB. I know on this team and in this program, being a Senior does NOT guarantee you playing time. And that's how it should be. The biggest problem on this year's team (and last year's) was they had no leadership. I think a couple of guys tried to step up but it just didn't seem to matter. When you have players talking back to coaches, there is NO leadership or respect. It is an "I". There is no "I" in team. Maybe that was one of the problems.

 

Coach A is a great coach. I think it's funny how people look at records and think, "Man, that guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag." Sure, wins are awesome, but that's not what football is all about. And if you (and everyone else) think that, then maybe you should apply for the Head Coach position. There are great young men that have come away from this program: DT Boon, Scott Blair, Shun Ellis, ALL of the Sextons, and too many more more mention. These young men and women went on to college, got top notch educations, and became great adults. That's what life is about. Growing up and becoming a good person, giving back.

 

So in essence, put yourself in someone else's shoes before you try to walk in them. You can only teach character to a certain extent. The rest is up to the player. Unfortunately, no one stepped up to the plate.

You may be able to say these things, fine. A quality coach should not, and will not throw young athletes under the bus. I don't care if it is the playoffs, motivation and focus is the coach's responsibility. I also do not think they had the right personnel in the right position. If you are asking a player to do something that is out of the skill set then blame them for not doing it, well that is coaching, ma'am. I will agree, Coach has been a great coach for SW, but some of this is on his shoulders, and if he is the man I think he is will shoulder it with pride and not hide behind blaming the players.

You may be able to say these things, fine. A quality coach should not, and will not throw young athletes under the bus. I don't care if it is the playoffs, motivation and focus is the coach's responsibility. I also do not think they had the right personnel in the right position. If you are asking a player to do something that is out of the skill set then blame them for not doing it, well that is coaching, ma'am. I will agree, Coach has been a great coach for SW, but some of this is on his shoulders, and if he is the man I think he is will shoulder it with pride and not hide behind blaming the players.[/QUOTE]

 

I havent seen, nor can I every remember Coach A ( or any SW coach) not taking the blame for every loss, unless you can prove me wrong. ( I know you can't) your comment holds no water.

Unfortunately this one turned out as I was afraid it would. The bad snap on the punt early in the first quarter that gave Letcher a saftey seemed to set the tone of the game. Letcher was much more ready to play. They dominated both sides of the line. Had the Southwestern coaches given up hope when they stopped putting anyone back to return punts. Both the players and coaches should share the blame. I really feel bad for most of the players, while they had a lot of tallent alot of other teams have a lot of tallent as well. I think one of the problems was they were led to think they were great before the season even started, not their fault. When you talk about all of the talent on this team I wonder why they were playing two freshmen at linebacker. While I'm sure these kids have a great future they were usually taken out of the play. It makes you wonder if the coaches had the right people in the right places. The same can be said about some other spots as well. Best of luck to the Seniors, I wish the season had turned out better, I'm sure you worked really hard. The Warrior football team has earned alot of respect over the years, it's sad to see what has happened in the last two years. I hope Coach A can make the necessary changes when he starts working on next year, and look back at what has caused the program to slide.

 

I've seen every SW game this year either in person or on film, the LB's that were playing, were sorry to say TERRIBLE! Not to mention showed a " I dont care attitude." I would have benched them as well. The (2) freshman you speak of were head and shoulders above the others. Of course all IMO, however I know its right.

You may be able to say these things, fine. A quality coach should not, and will not throw young athletes under the bus. I don't care if it is the playoffs, motivation and focus is the coach's responsibility. I also do not think they had the right personnel in the right position. If you are asking a player to do something that is out of the skill set then blame them for not doing it, well that is coaching, ma'am. I will agree, Coach has been a great coach for SW, but some of this is on his shoulders, and if he is the man I think he is will shoulder it with pride and not hide behind blaming the players.

 

That's funny you say that "sir". I don't know how you think that Coach A is throwing anyone under the bus. As SWHS2000 said, he has never not blamed himself. But you aren't a part of the program, so you wouldn't know. Would you? Should the Coach help them put their big boy panties on too? And as for you thinking the right personnel in the right position, that's why you aren't the coach.

Edited by Ram
Rule 2

Take it for what it is worth, but the one link in all the SW disappointment year-after-year, with all those D-1 talented athletes is Coach A. It's his job to have his team prepared & it just seems that year in & year out the Warriors end with a less than stellar performance in the playoffs.

Yes, the players must perform what is taught to them all year long, but it is the coaches job to have those same kids mentally ready when you strap it on in the playoffs.

Take it for what it is worth, but the one link in all the SW disappointment year-after-year, with all those D-1 talented athletes is Coach A. It's his job to have his team prepared & it just seems that year in & year out the Warriors end with a less than stellar performance in the playoffs.

Yes, the players must perform what is taught to them all year long, but it is the coaches job to have those same kids mentally ready when you strap it on in the playoffs.

 

It isn't worth it. Year-after-year-after-year, he continues to get kids scholarships to further their education. I guess that doesn't count for anything. Win at all costs, that's a good motto.

By all accounts Coach Anderson is a very good coach. He built that program from scratch and has had a lot of success.

 

It seems that some people get a little bit of success at their program and all they want to do is bash their neighbors, instead of celebrating their own program. (See Saturdays Commonwealth Journal)Read last paragraph

 

Congrats Letcher Central, Good luck next week.

By all accounts Coach Anderson is a very good coach. He built that program from scratch and has had a lot of success.

 

It seems that some people get a little bit of success at their program and all they want to do is bash their neighbors, instead of celebrating their own program. (See Saturdays Commonwealth Journal)Read last paragraph

 

Congrats Letcher Central, Good luck next week.

 

I guess this is the quote you mean:

 

“We’ll claim that city championship again,” pointed out Hines. “We were fortunate enough to beat Southwestern, who did beat Somerset, and of course you know Somerset is just a little old single A school that doesn’t want to play all the other big schools. Since they wouldn’t play us this year, we’ll claim that city championship, and we’re glad to have it.”

 

Typical classy quote from Coach Hines. Very unnecessary to take a shot at Somerset instead of using the opportunity to praise his players or comment on the upcoming round 2. But we've come to expect it from him, saying those kind of things tend to come back to haunt you. One thing for sure, whether you are a fan of Southwestern or not you would never hear anything like that from Coach Anderson.

 

Anyway, back to the thread. How does Letcher match up with Mercer in round 2?

Edited by AverageJoesGym

I guess this is the quote you mean:

 

“We’ll claim that city championship again,” pointed out Hines. “We were fortunate enough to beat Southwestern, who did beat Somerset, and of course you know Somerset is just a little old single A school that doesn’t want to play all the other big schools. Since they wouldn’t play us this year, we’ll claim that city championship, and we’re glad to have it.”

 

Typical classy quote from Coach Hines. Very unnecessary to take a shot at Somerset instead of using the opportunity to praise his players or comment on the upcoming round 2. But we've come to expect it from him, saying those kind of things tend to come back to haunt you. One thing for sure, whether you are a fan of Southwestern or not you would never hear anything like that from Coach Anderson.

 

Anyway, back to the thread. How does Letcher match up with Mercer in round 2?

 

 

This is a pretty typical Mercer team. They'll try to run, then run again, and then run some more. They're pretty good at it though. Against Perry Co they rushed for 429 yards and passed for 8 yards.

Well now let's continue down the Hines train of thought. Somerset beat Wayne 41 to 7, Wayne beat Pulaski 34 to 28. Let's see here that would make Somerset a 40 point better team than Pulaski. In my opinion the Hines statement about Somerset seems to be just another example of his no class kind of arrogance. It is also my understanding that Somerset will play Pulaski in the Ray Correll Bowl next year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.