Hows Johnson Central looking this year?

WKUFAN

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it was a long time ago. Besides Rockcastle, who beat the Birds 48-6 in the playoffs in 2004, was that Belfry team the last mountain team to beat Highlands?

If so, that makes 2 in 18 years, which ain't a whole lot.

No Bell beat them 3 times. 2 times in the regular season (90 and 93 maybe???) and 1 in 2004 playoffs 1 to 0. :madman:

That's two times. We won't get into the 2004 silliness in this thread!

Highlands is an impressive 5-2 against Bell Co.

3 according to the KHSAA who is the ruling body in Ky High School Athletics. EKY teams are hard pressed to compete with Highland's numbers and plus they have some pretty good coaching. I always enjoyed watching Coach Duffy's teams. They played hard nosed football.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

No Bell beat them 3 times. 2 times in the regular season (90 and 93 maybe???) and 1 in 2004 playoffs 1 to 0. :madman:

1988 HHS 37 Bell County 12 W

1989 HHS 42 Cawood 20 W

1989 HHS 21 Belfry 14 (OT) W

1990 HHS 7 Belfry 38 L

1991 HHS 21 Bell County 22 L (forfiet win for Highlands)

1992 HHS 21 Bell County 6 W

1993 HHS 7 Bell County 10 L

1995 HHS 42 Leslie County 44 L

1995 HHS 47 Leslie County 12 W

1996 HHS 55 Lawrence County 30 W

1996 HHS 16 Bell County 14 W

1998 HHS 44 Sheldon Clark 28 W

1999 HHS 76 Lawrence County 36 W

2004 HHS 15 Bell County 10 W (forfeit, win for Bell)

2007 HHS 52 Letcher County Central 12 W

Birds 11 - 4

SOURCE: http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/Game--Results.html

3 according to the KHSAA who is the ruling body in Ky High School Athletics. EKY teams are hard pressed to compete with highland's numbers and plus they have some pretty good coaching. I always enjoyed watching Coach Duffy's teams. They played hard nosed football.

What numbers advantage?

RoadRunner avaliable athletes in the area and on the team, sorry I did not clarifiy. Granted you still have to coach those kids and get them football ready, that in which HHS does as well as anyone in the state. I have great respect for the HHS football family in most regards.

If you think urban areas don't have an advantage you are sadly mistaken. I have coached in both areas and trust me they are not the same in many fashions.

Back to the thread topic, the lack of speed JC has will be a turning point in the playoffs. They are well coached and play extremely hard but have some limitations.

Those games were 19 and 18 years ago respectively.

HHS beat Belfry in overtime in the semis in 1989 on their way to a championship. One of the best high school games I've ever seen, even though my Pirates lost.

HHS came back ranked #1 and opened up the year with Belfry in the Pike County Bowl in 1990. Belfry pulled a shocker and beat them 38-7.

But it was a long time ago. Besides Rockcastle, who beat the Birds 48-6 in the playoffs in 2004, was that Belfry team the last mountain team to beat Highlands?

If so, that makes 2 in 18 years, which ain't a whole lot.

I think you meant 2002. Highlands played Bolye Co in the finals in 2003 & 2004:thumb:

3 according to the KHSAA who is the ruling body in Ky High School Athletics. EKY teams are hard pressed to compete with Highland's numbers and plus they have some pretty good coaching. I always enjoyed watching Coach Duffy's teams. They played hard nosed football.

Its still only 2 isn't it? If you are going to give Bell the win in 04 because of the forfeit, don't you have to give Highlands the win in 91 because of Bell's forfeit? With the only non-forfeit related win by Bell being in 93.

Its still only 2 isn't it? If you are going to give Bell the win in 04 because of the forfeit, don't you have to give Highlands the win in 91 because of Bell's forfeit? With the only non-forfeit related win by Bell being in 93.

You are right. We will give you all the T'bred Bowl trophy (91) you all send us the State Championship (04). :lol:

You are right Leatherneck I could not remember if it was 91 or not. Getting too old memory is not as good as it used to be.