Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hows Johnson Central looking this year?

Featured Replies

Do you think they could compete with Highlands?

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure sounds like JC has one heckuva rushing attack. Also, won't JC get home field advantage if they play Highlands in the playoffs this year?

 

If this game gets played, Highlands will be the favorite, but I wouldn't count JC out!

I know travel is an issue with their location, but they should have made a return trip to Louisville Central. Coming out of the mountains once or twice a year would give people a better feel for how good they actually may be.

 

There are probably 6 teams that could come out of the west this year and all of them are pulling for Johnson Central. But it will not happen.

Who was the last team to beat Highlands with over 90% of their plays being running plays? As MANY eastern ky teams find out, you DON"T beat Highlands without at least the threat of a passing attack. I really like JC but I don't think they can play the type of game they like to play and beat Highlands. Sorry?

Who was the last team to beat Highlands with over 90% of their plays being running plays?

 

Colerain?

 

As MANY eastern ky teams find out, you DON"T beat Highlands without at least the threat of a passing attack. I really like JC but I don't think they can play the type of game they like to play and beat Highlands. Sorry?

 

How many EKY teams have played Highlands in the last 10 years besides Bell Co?

Who was the last team to beat Highlands with over 90% of their plays being running plays?
The most notable I can remember would be a 45-6 loss to Rockcastle in 2002.
Do you think they could compete with Highlands?

 

The Birds have overcome home field advantage before, so throw that out the window. I think what it will come down to is strength of schedule and previous experience. Just another day at the office for the Birds. Compete, yeah. Shock the state, doubtful.

The Birds have overcome home field advantage before, so throw that out the window. I think what it will come down to is strength of schedule and previous experience. Just another day at the office for the Birds. Compete, yeah. Shock the state, doubtful.

 

I'd take competing. Probably more than anyone else in 5A will do this year with the 'Birds.

Colerain?

 

 

 

How many EKY teams have played Highlands in the last 10 years besides Bell Co?

 

All but 2 of the last 10 years, an EKY team has played Highlands...6 different schools have played Highlands during that time period. Southwestern Pulaski being the only regular season match up.

 

 

Sheldon Clark - 1998 - Because they had to/Playoffs

 

Lawrence County - 1999 - Because they had to/Playoffs

 

Rockcastle County - 2000 - Because they had to/Playoffs

 

Rockcastle County - 2002 - Because they had to/Playoffs

 

Bell County - 2004 - Because they had to/Playoffs

 

Southwestern Pulaski - 2005 - Legit regular season matchup that Highlands won by 27 points

 

Southwestern Pulaski - 2006 - Legit regular season matchup that Highlands won by 35 points.

 

Letcher County Central - 2007 - Because they had to/Playoffs

Thanks ScarHeel. I knew about Sheldon Clark and Lawrence Co, but I forgot about Letcher Central last year. I don't think Rockcastle or Pulaski Counties are in Eastern Kentucky, though. Which leaves us with 4 EKY teams in 10 years from 98-07.

 

Highlands played 141 games during that span, of which 4 were against EKY teams (or 6 if you count Rockcastle and Pulaski). Granted it is a small point, but I was asking that quesiton in response to Jude's statement that "MANY EKY teams find out, you DON"T beat Highlands without at least the threat of a passing attack."

 

I don't think that 4 out of 141 qualifies as MANY EKY teams.

Thank you Scar! How many of those teams beat Highlands? I'm just saying that the beating Lawrence counties potent running attack took at Highlands in 99 taught me and many others around here a valuable lesson. Highlands may play in the same class as you on paper, but they play a different calibur of teams week after week. How often do teams from Eastern KY even get considered as part of the schedule for the Cincinnati schools or teams like St.X or Trinity? We have good football here, but we DO NOT have the competition here that you have in that part of the state. PERIOD! I respect Highlands for what they are and I respect JC, Belfry and Ashland for having teams that can go to the playoffs and make a good showing for eastern ky, but when you get into 5A and 6A teams Eastern Ky schools are going to have to learn that it takes a talented and diversified offense to compete against the elite teams in this state.

 

With that being said I think JC has one of if not the finest all around running attacks I've seen since some of the great 90's Belfry and Lawrence County teams. Will that be enough to compete against Highlands? History doesn't suggest to me that a great running attack is quite enough. You have to at least have the "threat" of a passing attack and one heckuva defense against both the run and the pass. If you recall Lawrence County in 99 had the #1 all-time reciever in the state and a top 5 all time rusher in the backfield and still got THUMPED!

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Agree 100% with everything you just said, Jude. :thumb:

Thanks ScarHeel. I knew about Sheldon Clark and Lawrence Co, but I forgot about Letcher Central last year. I don't think Rockcastle or Pulaski Counties are in Eastern Kentucky, though. Which leaves us with 4 EKY teams in 10 years from 98-07.

 

Highlands played 141 games during that span, of which 4 were against EKY teams (or 6 if you count Rockcastle and Pulaski). Granted it is a small point, but I was asking that quesiton in response to Jude's statement that "MANY EKY teams find out, you DON"T beat Highlands without at least the threat of a passing attack."

 

I don't think that 4 out of 141 qualifies as MANY EKY teams.

He didn't say anything about "many of the 141 teams." He referred to many of the sub-set of EKY teams that had played HHS. So I think his point is valid.

 

Besides, I think we consider any of the teams that come out of that regional as EKY teams. :cool:

Will that be enough to compete against Highlands? History doesn't suggest to me that a great running attack is quite enough. You have to at least have the "threat" of a passing attack and one heckuva defense against both the run and the pass.
Try to tell that to Marty Regan. :cool:
He didn't say anything about "many of the 141 teams." He referred to many of the sub-set of EKY teams that had played HHS. So I think his point is valid.

Like I said in my post, it is a small point, I probably shouldn't have even responded. But since I did...

 

He just said "as MANY eastern KY teams find out". I guess it is a matter of perspective. I don't know if he meant "many of the sub-set of EKY teams that had played HHS" or not. LOL. If he did, he didn't say that. He just said MANY. I don't think 4 teams in 10 years is MANY.

 

That was my only point, I agreed with everything else he said. :thumb: I don't want to suffer the Bluebird wrath on account of one small comment. ;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.