Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

There is a battle coming - Belfry vs. Johnson Central

Who Wins This Battle? 135 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Wins This Battle?

    • Johnson Central Golden Eagles
      67%
    • Belfry Pirates
      32%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Having only seen JC play in person, I am at a bit of a disadvantage predicting who will take this game. Many posters have alluded to the strength of Central, but the one aspect of this Eagle team which made an impression on me last Friday was their overall team speed. It’s hard for me to imagine that Belfry can match this factor.

 

Although the Eagles have yielded twice as many points as Belfry this season, it doesn’t appear the Pirates accomplished this stat against comparable opponents. Offensively, both teams have eclipsed the 400 point margin, but something tells me this will be a ball control, defensive contest. However...if JC can get to the corners as quickly as I have seen them do, Belfry will have many, many looks at the back of a black jersey.

 

 

Where was this speed last year? Belfry played at a completely different level last season and seemed to already be everywhere the Eagles wanted to go. I don't think speed will determine this game, and after most of these Belfry players saw Lou. Central up close and personal in the State Finals I dont believe JC will be able to surprise them in this department.

 

The place I see JC winning this game will be in the trenches on both sides of the ball and in the fact that JC has been tested by teams close to Belfry's level already, whereas Belfry has not played anyone comparable to JC.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note: I have already predicted I think Belfry will lose, but I have been pretty shocked at all the buzz surrounding this game and some alot of predictions I have heard. Most people feel that JC will just simply dismantle Belfry. They may very well do that, but there were also similar predictions last year about this game and Belfry proceeded to win 28-14 ina game that was MUCH more lopsided than the final score shopwed. Belfry held JC to 20 rushing yards last year and enjoyed a 28-0 lead late in the game when Belfry QB/CB Andrew Elkins got injured. After the injury Haywood shut it down on offense and defensively both of JC's scores came on Elkins' man who had previously been shut down.

 

JC may very well destroy Belfry, but I can't remember the last time Belfry was such a decisive underdog this late in the year.

JC is much better than they were last year.

 

 

I saw in the morning paper that the AP now has JC ranked #2 in 5A. They are starting to get some recognition around the state it seems.

JC is much better than they were last year.

 

I saw in the morning paper that the AP now has JC ranked #2 in 5A. They are starting to get some recognition around the state it seems.

 

Wow.

 

That's another new high for the Golden Eagle program under Coach Matney.

 

Cantrall's Rating The State also has Central as the seventh-best team in the state, regardless of class.

 

Not sure I believe all the hype, but the attention is nice.

 

Good news is, doesn't matter whether or not I believe the hype; it only matters if Coach Matney and the boys fall for the hype. Somehow, I don't think they will. He'll keeps their heads on straight. Just like the Ashland field goal game got Central's attention in 2005 and we spent the whole off-season thinking about the return match...Belfry got our attention in 2007, and Central players, coaches, and fans have been waiting for this game all year.

 

I agree that the team last year is quite a bit faster than last year's, btw. Adding Harlow and Brown on the line adds speed and strength. D. Dillon is much quicker than Ratliff at QB and you have to account for him now on every play as well as the backs. Richardson and N. Dillon have broken numerous long runs this year, and they can create their own yards, which Grim couldn't do. Ian Welch remains fast; no more be said there. J. Bratton at end is also a new upgrade in speed. There are several players who didn't take part in last year's game who are making a HUGE difference this year in terms of team speed and offensive results.

 

But all the talking in the world won't change anything. Answers will become clear Friday night at Eagle Field. In the meantime, everybody GET OUT AND VOTE TODAY!!! Yes we can!

Wow.

 

That's another new high for the Golden Eagle program under Coach Matney.

 

Cantrall's Rating The State also has Central as the seventh-best team in the state, regardless of class.

 

Not sure I believe all the hype, but the attention is nice.

 

Good news is, doesn't matter whether or not I believe the hype; it only matters if Coach Matney and the boys fall for the hype. Somehow, I don't think they will. He'll keeps their heads on straight. Just like the Ashland field goal game got Central's attention in 2005 and we spent the whole off-season thinking about the return match...Belfry got our attention in 2007, and Central players, coaches, and fans have been waiting for this game all year.

 

I agree that the team last year is quite a bit faster than last year's, btw. Adding Harlow and Brown on the line adds speed and strength. D. Dillon is much quicker than Ratliff at QB and you have to account for him now on every play as well as the backs. Richardson and N. Dillon have broken numerous long runs this year, and they can create their own yards, which Grim couldn't do. Ian Welch remains fast; no more be said there. J. Bratton at end is also a new upgrade in speed. There are several players who didn't take part in last year's game who are making a HUGE difference this year in terms of team speed and offensive results.

 

But all the talking in the world won't change anything. Answers will become clear Friday night at Eagle Field. In the meantime, everybody GET OUT AND VOTE TODAY!!! Yes we can!

 

Great post.:thumb:

Where was this speed last year? Belfry played at a completely different level last season and seemed to already be everywhere the Eagles wanted to go. I don't think speed will determine this game, and after most of these Belfry players saw Lou. Central up close and personal in the State Finals I dont believe JC will be able to surprise them in this department.

 

The place I see JC winning this game will be in the trenches on both sides of the ball and in the fact that JC has been tested by teams close to Belfry's level already, whereas Belfry has not played anyone comparable to JC.

 

As I stated EKU, I have only seen JC in person and it was their overall speed which impressed me more than their strength. Perhaps it is because I was already expecting a strong, physical group but simply didn’t realize that speed was as much or more of a weapon last Friday then just the strength factor.

 

Belfry may match that speed…I don’t know. I think JC can win out if it simply becomes a slug fest, but that might play more into Belfry’s game plan too.

 

FWIW…on a side note, Belfry is on Ashland’s schedule next season.

As I stated EKU, I have only seen JC in person and it was their overall speed which impressed me more than their strength. Perhaps it is because I was already expecting a strong, physical group but simply didn’t realize that speed was as much or more of a weapon last Friday then just the strength factor.

 

Belfry may match that speed…I don’t know. I think JC can win out if it simply becomes a slug fest, but that might play more into Belfry’s game plan too.

 

FWIW…on a side note, Belfry is on Ashland’s schedule next season.

 

I heard this... great pick-up for both teams and two great traditions. Hopefully the home and home will continue so that this may be a lasting series.

I think JC will win this game, however I think it will be much closer than most are predicting. Breathitt managed to keep it respectable and I have no doubt Belfry is as good if not better an all around team as Breathitt. I am going to say JC 28 Belfry 21. Belfry may have to try and mix it up some because if I remember JC pretty much stuffed a good Breathitt rushing attack in the 1st half.

I think JC will win this game, however I think it will be much closer than most are predicting. Breathitt managed to keep it respectable and I have no doubt Belfry is as good if not better an all around team as Breathitt. I am going to say JC 28 Belfry 21. Belfry may have to try and mix it up some because if I remember JC pretty much stuffed a good Breathitt rushing attack in the 1st half.

 

To be fair, that was both teams first game of the year. I believe both squads have come a pretty long way since that matchup. But that game also wasnt as close as the score indicated, if I remember correctly JC fumbled 2 or 3 times inside the 10 yd line. But as you suggest, it will be a hard fought battle between 2 teams looking to make a statement before the playoffs.

Wow.

 

That's another new high for the Golden Eagle program under Coach Matney.

 

Cantrall's Rating The State also has Central as the seventh-best team in the state, regardless of class.

 

Not sure I believe all the hype, but the attention is nice.

 

Good news is, doesn't matter whether or not I believe the hype; it only matters if Coach Matney and the boys fall for the hype. Somehow, I don't think they will. He'll keeps their heads on straight. Just like the Ashland field goal game got Central's attention in 2005 and we spent the whole off-season thinking about the return match...Belfry got our attention in 2007, and Central players, coaches, and fans have been waiting for this game all year.

 

I agree that the team last year is quite a bit faster than last year's, btw. Adding Harlow and Brown on the line adds speed and strength. D. Dillon is much quicker than Ratliff at QB and you have to account for him now on every play as well as the backs. Richardson and N. Dillon have broken numerous long runs this year, and they can create their own yards, which Grim couldn't do. Ian Welch remains fast; no more be said there. J. Bratton at end is also a new upgrade in speed. There are several players who didn't take part in last year's game who are making a HUGE difference this year in terms of team speed and offensive results.

 

But all the talking in the world won't change anything. Answers will become clear Friday night at Eagle Field. In the meantime, everybody GET OUT AND VOTE TODAY!!! Yes we can!

 

 

You lost me on "Yes we can".

It all comes down to coaching!!!!

 

Belfry 28

 

Central 24

It all comes down to coaching!!!!

 

Do you mean Matney and Haywood are going to square off at mid-field?:lol:

Do you mean Matney and Haywood are going to square off at mid-field?:lol:

That would be a great undercard for this game. Heck, I might even have to miss the Raceland game to see that.

That would be a great undercard for this game. Heck, I might even have to miss the Raceland game to see that.

 

 

That spectacle might even have a pay-per-view audience.

Umm got to go with the home team.

 

JC-20

BELFRY-14

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.