Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 07 vs 08

Featured Replies

I will go with the 97 team. There wasn't a more talented team top to bottom to wear the Highlands uniform. Period!!!

  • Replies 59
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go with the 97 team. There wasn't a more talented team top to bottom to wear the Highlands uniform. Period!!!

 

I agree...:thumb:

You can't leave out the '68 team.:D

You can't leave out the '68 team.:D

 

I would of had to see that team from my mom's belly...:D:D

I would of had to see that team from my mom's belly...:D:D

:lol::lol:

 

Just because you didn't see it , doesn't mean you can leave them out of the mix of a great group of dedicated players.:thumb:

You can't leave out the '68 team.:D

 

If we are going to do the silly exercise of comparing teams, I'm going with the 43 team. :thumb:

If we are going to do the silly exercise of comparing teams, I'm going with the 43 team. :thumb:

 

Hey, I didn't start it.:rolleyes:

Two great teams!!...Who wins head to head?

 

Okay i will play!!!! 2007. They were just Great, and this years team is just Good.:lol:

I would have to say 2008. I believe they have a more diverse offense with Guidugli being a better passer then Cecil and I believe that the runningbacks are more talented than last years. The defense is up in the air with me, just like last year this group is getting better as the seaon go's.

I think I'd take 07 over 08. The 2007 team had great senior leadership and was deeper than this year's squad IMO. Last year's team could go down as one of the best in HHS storied history. One thing's for sure, by mid-December, as stated earlier, we'll be able to give a lot better analysis as hopefully this year's squad ends their season the same way as last year's....bringing home another state title to Fort Thomas.

 

I will go with the 2007 team!:D Great leadership from the top down. Great athletes that could play any number of positions if needed. 2008 is a great team... but the season is still a pup and the trip to the pizza box is still some 8 weeks away.

 

BTW... the 2004 was a great team as well and deserves recognition as one of the finest! The 2004 team stopped the dynasty in CAKE Town as they defeated a very well coached Boyle County team.

I think you have to go with the 2007 squad for a couple reasons. As said already they had great leadership who had been starters for a couple years compared to this team who has more first year starters. Also Josh Connor was healthy last year and has been hurt this year, but that's only if we take that into consideration.

I will go with the 2007 team!:D Great leadership from the top down. Great athletes that could play any number of positions if needed. 2008 is a great team... but the season is still a pup and the trip to the pizza box is still some 8 weeks away.

 

BTW... the 2004 was a great team as well and deserves recognition as one of the finest! The 2004 team stopped the dynasty in CAKE Town as they defeated a very well coached Boyle County team.

 

Ouch... meant to say Title Town! :rolleyes:

I think you'll hear a lot of Highlands BGP'ers say that everyone will need to wait to see how 2008 shakes out before making any definitive comparisons. The 2007 team I think had a lot more senior leadership, and more depth overall. It also seems that (with the exception of the Colerain game this year) Highlands' 2007 schedule was overall tougher than this year's schedule. Even though most of the opponents are the same, it appears that some of these opponents were better in 2007 than 2008 (such as LexCath, CovCath, Dixie and Louisville Central, although this last game has not yet been played this year). Madison Central appears better this year than last year, however. It should be an interesting test for the 'Birds.

 

We'll know more by mid-December!!!!

 

While its almost if not impossible to compare teams, for the sake of playing along here are my thoughts:

 

I don't necessarily agree that last year's schedule was tougher.

 

Trotwood Madison, the regular season signature win, turned out to not be near as good as advertised. Sure they had the D1 athletes, but the team itself wasn't very good. They got beat often during the regular season and didn't advance very far in the Ohio playoffs. Colerain was significantly better than Trotwood. While we lost to Colerain, I thought we played them pretty tough. Give me Conner and Frank, and I say we beat them. For those that say injuries are part of the game and shouldn't be an excuse for losing, tell that to the Las Vegas bookies who kind of changed their odds of New England winning the Super Bowl after Brady got hurt. They make their living analyzing games and they sure think Brady's injury greatly effected the Patriots chances of winning games.

 

CovCath wasn't any better last year than this year and the margin of victory this year was much, much greater.

 

Dixie was better last year; having said that, the ease of victory this year was much, much greater.

 

Ryle, well I have a hard time figuring Ryle out, this year and last. I honestly can't say which team was better. Maybe last year's Ryle team but if so, not by much.

 

Scott had better athletes last year, but I thought the team was better coached this year and their players showed a lot more enthusiasm in my opinion.

 

Holmes, no better or worse from last year.

 

LexCath was probably better last year, but that was a pretty good football team we beat Friday. I know they started slow (probably because of all the new starters) but I think they'll win 4A again. Again, the ease and margin of victory this year was much greater than last year. At half time last year, I was concerned. This year, it was already a no doubter.

 

Madison Central appears to be better this year although until I see them play, I can't really know.

 

As for Lou Central. I've seen them play and as of a couple of weeks ago, their O is not as good as last year. Their D is of course stout. Based on a one game observation, they probably aren't as good as last year. If we beat them, the margin of victory will be a factor in this debate.

 

All in all, I'd say the schedule is a push and to the extent it leans towards last year's being better, the margin of victory advantage this year provides some off set. Plus the fact we've basically played most of those games without Conner and Frank of course needs to be kept in mind.

 

I won't and can't say which team is better. As I look at positions, I see some slight advantages on the 07 team and I see some slight advantages on the 08team. Bottom line is that they are all Birds and as Dale likes to say, this year's team got to where they are on the shoulders of past teams, as was the case with the 07 team.

I would have to say this years team is a lot stronger offensively. Have you seen their passing game lately? Division I Quarterback prospect Tong Guidugli has to be one of the best in the state, with about 6 recievers and 5 running backs, Man they're fun to watch. IMO the 2007 Defense of backs would have never stopped them. Of course 2007 never had much of a passing attack, with about 6 attempts per game. It was just Conner, Cecil and then Conner again. But I guess you dont have to pass the ball, if the oppositon could'nt stop the run. But, the 2008 Defense would have swarmed and shut down last years conservative attack. Better special return teams. 2007 may have had the edge in the field goal department, But no one has stopped the Birds thus far, so Rosenhagen hasn't had the chance to show off his range and talents.

I forgot to mention Hopkinsville in my analysis of last year's and this year's schedule. I didn't see the Hoptown game last year live (although I watched it about 10 times on tape including 3 or 4 times before the game this year). I did attend this year's game. While comparing teams from year to year is very difficult, I'd say this year's Hoptown team is better.

 

So in summary, we have two opponents (Hoptown and Colerain) better than last year.

 

Three opponents (CovCath, Scott, and Holmes) basically the same as last year.

 

Three opponents (Dixie, LexCath and Ryle) worse than last year.

 

And two opponents yet to be played, with Mad Central supposedly better and Central probably a tad worse. If last year's schedule was stronger it isn't by much, and the margin of victory and injuries this year should also be factored into any analysis of any attempt to compare Highlands team.

 

I do agree with That's Pat that the Birds offense is much, much more potent than last year's. Don't get me wrong folks, I love to run the ball (slight understatement there :D) but I have to admit that our passing game this year makes us much harder to defend.

 

And as for last year's seniors having "unparalleled leadership and dedication" and being a "once in a liftetime group": that's a bunch of hooey. I've watched the Birds very closely for many years. Last year's seniors were dedicated and provided great leadership. But I've seen plenty of classes that demonstrated the same dedication and leadership. And I've seen equally talented classes come through the halls of Highlands.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.