Wish You Were Here...Wish I Wasn't

Birdsfan

Okay, it hasn't gotten that bad; but since we've been down here on our annual family junket to Panama City Beach, things haven't been going, what you might call, "perfectly."

My parents, uncle, nephew and I arrived Saturday evening. Sunday, my brother and his girlfriend flew down with my 8-yr-old niece to join us. Within minutes of her hopping joyfully into the surf, my niece was attacked by jellyfish. She had a long sting area on her tummy and leg. They treated it with Benadryl and some stuff called Jellyfish Squish...and copious amounts of TLC. ;) She spent the day in pain, feeling sick to her stomach, and wanting to go home. But by the next day, she was pretty much good as new. Her big brother, however, had developed a bad case of swimmer's ear.

The other day, I was almost in a fight with a souvenir store owner. They had at least four entrances into this huge place (Alvin'sIsland); but only one was unlocked! The others--all fire doors--were locked to prevent shoplifting. Included in those was the only door with a ramp to get up on the curb. Unfortunately, not only was the door also locked, the tiny "ramp" was completely barricaded by razor sharp palm fronds.

The charming woman in charge advised us that she didn't want to open any doors and wasn't about to. That was after she had sent a non-English speaking newbie out to lie to us about not having keys for the doors. In the end, they took me through the storeroom to get in the place. By that time, I had lost any desire to be a customer. But the whole fam was in there, and I just wanted to force them to get me in as a matter of principle. Rest assured, some letters are going to be written. I'm thinking the fire marshal and maybe the state attorney general would be interested to hear the story.

Later that night, I injured my right hand. It swelled up the size of a golf ball within seconds. Not sure yet, but we think I've got a bone chip or something in it. The back of my hand is sort of shaped funny now...and it hurts.

Yesterday was the cherry on top of our vacation sundae. My mother and uncle were out on the deck, looking over the Gulf during a break in the stormy weather we've had the past two days. They reported sighting a water spout in the distance. My father and I decided to join them. Of course, I have to go out the front door and around to the grass, because they now have giant (pointless) thresholds on all the deck doors. Something to do with hurricanes.

Anyway, we go out the front door, and I immediately see a dark, brooding wall cloud hanging from a storm that was just past the trees. Suddenly, the clouds begin to twist...faster and faster. What appeared to be a small tornado dropped from the wall cloud. I yelled for my dad to go tell the others. He turns around, and runs smack into the front door--it was locked!

So, here we are, locked out of the house...in a tornado! We sat there and watched in total amazement. Funny thing was, I wasn't scared at all. I was just mesmerized and in total disbelief at what we were witnessing. Having lived through April 3, 1974, I've always had a fear of tornadoes. But I was strangely calm. It was just so cool! I would have posted this yesterday; but it wasn't until I saw this morning's paper that I really believed we had seen what we thought we saw.

I'll post some pictures I took when I get the chance. In the meantime, here is the story from the paper. it includes pictures and video. Turns out, the tornado had passed just a few hundred yards to our east; but had already gone by us by the time we went out there and spotted it.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/tornado_68713___article.html/panama_city.html

Edited by Birdsfan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to say. I'm just glad you all are relatively unscathed. Make sure you write that letter about the store, though. They need to get in some serious trouble over that. I'm sure you got the manager's name, if you didn't, go back and read her name tag!

I definitely will. I didn't get her name; but she was the boss lady in charge and I know the time and date. So they should be able to piece it together.

I don't want it to sound like we're having a bad time. It's actually one of the most enjoyable trips I've ever been on. It's just that it always seems there are those little disasters you have to deal with when you go away. It just seems like it's always something. We've just had a little more than the usual share of weird little crisis moments this time. We'll be home Saturday. I'll try to stay out of trouble until then. ;)

By the way, just to clear up any confusion: No, our last name is NOT Griswold! :D

RTS: Guitar practice may be indefinitely delayed...again. :cool:

Okay, it hasn't gotten that bad; but since we've been down here on our annual family junket to Panama City Beach, things haven't been going, what you might call, "perfectly."

My parents, uncle, nephew and I arrived Saturday evening. Sunday, my brother and his girlfriend flew down with my 8-yr-old niece to join us. Within minutes of her hopping joyfully into the surf, my niece was attacked by jellyfish. She had a long sting area on her tummy and leg. They treated it with Benadryl and some stuff called Jellyfish Squish...and copious amounts of TLC. ;) She spent the day in pain, feeling sick to her stomach, and wanting to go home. But by the next day, she was pretty much good as new. Her big brother, however, had developed a bad case of swimmer's ear.

The other day, I was almost in a fight with a souvenir store owner. They had at least four entrances into this huge place (Alvin'sIsland); but only one was unlocked! The others--all fire doors--were locked to prevent shoplifting. Included in those was the only door with a ramp to get up on the curb. Unfortunately, not only was the door also locked, the tiny "ramp" was completely barricaded by razor sharp palm fronds.

The charming woman in charge advised us that she didn't want to open any doors and wasn't about to. That was after she had sent a non-English speaking newbie out to lie to us about not having keys for the doors. In the end, they took me through the storeroom to get in the place. By that time, I had lost any desire to be a customer. But the whole fam was in there, and I just wanted to force them to get me in as a matter of principle. Rest assured, some letters are going to be written. I'm thinking the fire marshal and maybe the state attorney general would be interested to hear the story.

Later that night, I injured my right hand. It swelled up the size of a golf ball within seconds. Not sure yet, but we think I've got a bone chip or something in it. The back of my hand is sort of shaped funny now...and it hurts.

Yesterday was the cherry on top of our vacation sundae. My mother and uncle were out on the deck, looking over the Gulf during a break in the stormy weather we've had the past two days. They reported sighting a water spout in the distance. My father and I decided to join them. Of course, I have to go out the front door and around to the grass, because they now have giant (pointless) thresholds on all the deck doors. Something to do with hurricanes.

Anyway, we go out the front door, and I immediately see a dark, brooding wall cloud hanging from a storm that was just past the trees. Suddenly, the clouds begin to twist...faster and faster. What appeared to be a small tornado dropped from the wall cloud. I yelled for my dad to go tell the others. He turns around, and runs smack into the front door--it was locked!

So, here we are, locked out of the house...in a tornado! We sat there and watched in total amazement. Funny thing was, I wasn't scared at all. I was just mesmerized and in total disbelief at what we were witnessing. Having lived through April 3, 1974, I've always had a fear of tornadoes. But I was strangely calm. It was just so cool! I would have posted this yesterday; but it wasn't until I saw this morning's paper that I really believed we had seen what we thought we saw.

I'll post some pictures I took when I get the chance. In the meantime, here is the story from the paper. it includes pictures and video. Turns out, the tornado had passed just a few hundred yards to our east; but had already gone by us by the time we went out there and spotted it.

That would have been a cool thing to watch if you knew it wasn't going to reach you. Are you sure the hand swelling isn't from a squirrel bite?

I honestly got a little chuckle from your story. You seem to have even worse luck than I do, and that's saying something. :D I am glad that everyone is relatively OK.

As for PCB, it's been a few years since I've been down there. Is it still an ever changing area? And did they ever get the pier fixed?

That would have been a cool thing to watch if you knew it wasn't going to reach you. Are you sure the hand swelling isn't from a squirrel bite?
Wish it was. ;) I have to use my hands too much to have to worry about something like this. I'm thinking it might just be a busted blood vessel or something. It's a knot with a little hard thing in it.

Well, you might not have been upset about the cloud because, heck, it might have taken you to a better place at that time! LOL...who knows, you might have ended up in OZ or something.

You might have a bad hand because of that darn store...Just a thought...

Hope you have a great rest of the trip!!!

BF, that was a story I'm glad someone else lived. :D

Seriously, you made my day only because it left me reassured that even the best of us can have days like that. :thumb:

BF I always enjoy reading about situtations you encounter....just remember..making memories my friend...making memories.:lol:

Sounds Like the perfect movie script . Glad you are having fun . Take care of the injured appendage .

I read that, and I thought, "That sounds like a vacation that would happen to me." :lol: I'm glad all of you are relatively OK. Maybe you should get your hand checked out. There's a really hot....er....great doctor in the emergency room in Dothan, Alabama I can recommend. :D It's been a long time since I was there, so he may not be so hot...er...great any more, but it's worth a shot! :lol: Get it?! Shot?! I'm dying with laughter here....

Anyway....I hope you are OK, really.

The tornado sounds creepy, though. Your description of the sequence of events sounds like a cross between a "Vacation" movie and the "Wizard of Oz". :lol:

I read that, and I thought, "That sounds like a vacation that would happen to me." :lol: I'm glad all of you are relatively OK. Maybe you should get your hand checked out. There's a really hot....er....great doctor in the emergency room in Dothan, Alabama I can recommend. :D It's been a long time since I was there, so he may not be so hot...er...great any more, but it's worth a shot! :lol: Get it?! Shot?! I'm dying with laughter here....

Anyway....I hope you are OK, really.

The tornado sounds creepy, though. Your description of the sequence of events sounds like a cross between a "Vacation" movie and the "Wizard of Oz". :lol:

We are fine. I'm going to pass on the hot doctor. I'm going to see if there might be any hot off-duty nurses out by the pool tomorrow. :p

The tornado WAS seriously cool! :ylsuper:

We are fine. I'm going to pass on the hot doctor. I'm going to see if there might be any hot off-duty nurses out by the pool tomorrow. :p

The tornado WAS seriously cool! :ylsuper:

Gonna play the sympathy card, huh? :lol: I'm pretty sure you're already well on your way to recovery. :p :lol: