Could this make him crash?

ScarHeel

Do you think texting 22 seconds prior could have contributed to the crash?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think texting 22 seconds prior could have contributed to the crash?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short, yes. A commuter train engineer has no business doing anything other than the job at hand, IMO. Stopping a train can take miles and missing ANY signal, even miles away, could be disastrous. Any distractions on that job could result in exactly what happend here.

From the article: "The NTSB earlier determined the brakes on the Metrolink train were not applied before the collision and that stop signals at the scene were working properly, said Kitty Higgins, an NTSB member assigned to the investigation. "

Texting is a scourge on our society.

Doesn't it take alot longer than 22 seconds to stop a train?

That's when the text was sent. We have no idea how long it took him to type it or if he was reading messages before then. A freight train would take quite a bit of time to stop, but a commuter train could stop much, much faster. The guy blew through a yellow light and a red light, so he was either distracted or suicidal.

For those voting no, what about reading a book, surfing the net, talking to a coworker, counting the stars, talking on the phone, etc.? Do you think if the Engineer was doing any of those things it could have contributed to the crash?

For those voting no, what about reading a book, surfing the net, talking to a coworker, counting the stars, talking on the phone, etc.? Do you think if the Engineer was doing any of those things it could have contributed to the crash?

I was inquiring about taking some high school kids in my car. I asked a parent, who also happens to be a judge. He asked me to "define negligence". When I did, he asked if I thought his definition was the same. Point being, it's not black and white.

Reading a book, surfing the net, texting...etc is unacceptable in that position.

Not sure if he could, but one can perform their job while talking on the phone or to a coworker. But, that doesn't mean he still can't be negligent..

I don't understand how anyone can answer no to the question. The question doesn't ask if texting was the cause of the crash, but it ask if texting could have contributed to the crash? How can you possibly say that there's no way that it could have contributed to the crash?

Yes...I voted yes. No one should be texting or anything else while driving. Keep your attention on driving....PERIOD. It is not just your life you have to worry about, it is other people as well......I could not imagine anything being so important that you have to do it while driving...

Yes...I voted yes. No one should be texting or anything else while driving. Keep your attention on driving....PERIOD. It is not just your life you have to worry about, it is other people as well......I could not imagine anything being so important that you have to do it while driving...

I agree. I would love to see the age breakdown between those who voted yes, and those who voted no.