Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Army says No to Lions draft pick

Featured Replies

I agree that it would be unfortunate, and I hope it doesn't happen either. But, to say that it will be Pat Tilman x100 is wrong in my opinion. The stories are similar, but very different as well. I think that Pat Tilman is x100 more of a sad situation and this would be (if it even happens).

 

Well my reasoning for Caleb's situation to be more unfortunate is because he didn't want to go back to the service. However, he is now forced to serve, Tilman chose to enlist. If something happened to Campbell it would be very tough considering it could have been prevented if they would have just let him play football and serve as a recruiter.

Well my reasoning for Caleb's situation to be more unfortunate is because he didn't want to go back to the service. However, he is now forced to serve, Tilman chose to enlist. If something happened to Campbell it would be very tough considering it could have been prevented if they would have just let him play football and serve as a recruiter.

He was always going to have to serve. The day you start your junior year at West Point, you incur an obligation. The old policy stated that he could serve as a recruiter for 2 years as part of his 5 year commitment.

It's Your Duty Caleb

 

 

How anyone could have a problem with the Army forcing Detroit Lion Caleb Campbell into service, effectively removing him from the NFL, I don't know.

 

The government paid for his West Point education. The government spend tens of thousands preparing him to serve. No one forced Campbell to join. No one made him apply to West Point.

 

He'll have to do what many thousands of other West Point grads did: fulfill their military obligation.

 

And the problem with that is?

 

The problem is the government told him one thing and did another. I have no problem with this if Campbell knew going in that no matter what he would have to serve before he could head to the NFL. The issue is that he was under the impression that if he worked his tail off and was drafted, he could stay home. So he goes out and does just that, and now they tell him "sorry, we're changing the rule." That just doesn't fly with me, BS move by the Department of Defense IMO.

Well my reasoning for Caleb's situation to be more unfortunate is because he didn't want to go back to the service. However, he is now forced to serve, Tilman chose to enlist. If something happened to Campbell it would be very tough considering it could have been prevented if they would have just let him play football and serve as a recruiter.

 

For the reason HHSdad stated...that is why I don't feel like it would be as big of a story as Tillman, no where close actually. Tillman was already in the NFL and had been for some time and chose to leave to go serve.

The problem is the government told him one thing and did another. I have no problem with this if Campbell knew going in that no matter what he would have to serve before he could head to the NFL. The issue is that he was under the impression that if he worked his tail off and was drafted, he could stay home. So he goes out and does just that, and now they tell him "sorry, we're changing the rule." That just doesn't fly with me, BS move by the Department of Defense IMO.

All I can say is

thumbnail.aspx?q=1616129637201&id=df17514455d057c1dda719eb948de5cf

WELCOME TO THE ARMY'S WAY OF DOING THINGS!!!

The problem is the government told him one thing and did another.

 

Exactly what I was thinking...

To bad, the way it went down was bad, but it's the right thing to do. Finish what you start

To bad, the way it went down was bad, but it's the right thing to do. Finish what you start

 

I'm pretty sure he started football before joining the army...

I heard him speak today on the raido and he was a really stand up kid. His was real let down because he was ready for the show but his other dream was to serve the country. Ironically his orders before he got called back was to be a G.A. for Army's football team so he will be coaching there next year! He also might have a chance to get in the league in 2010.

For the reason HHSdad stated...that is why I don't feel like it would be as big of a story as Tillman, no where close actually. Tillman was already in the NFL and had been for some time and chose to leave to go serve.

 

 

Right and now I agree with you. I just thought he was going to be able to serve his entire service as a recruiter and still get to play, but rather was forced into serving normal duties. But since having to serve normal duties anyway I agree with you there.

 

On a side note, not taking anything away from Tilman at all. He is a personal hero to me as he should be to anyone that lives in this country. Had it made playing in the NFL but after the events of 911 felt a duty to serve his country. We all know the rest of the story, a tragic one at that. I just wanted to reiterate that in no way was I trying to downplay the Pat Tilman situation, I had just envisioned a scenario with Campbell that at first glance seemed just as bad if not worst, but I misunderstood the situation.

All I can say is

thumbnail.aspx?q=1616129637201&id=df17514455d057c1dda719eb948de5cf

WELCOME TO THE ARMY'S WAY OF DOING THINGS!!!

 

Can't imagine why enlistment numbers are down. Feel sorry for Campbell, really hope he gets another shot at the league in 2010.

I'm pretty sure he started football before joining the army...

 

Yea but when he entered the Army he had to know what he was getting himself into, if they made an exception here, then people would start trying to get out for everything.

Yea but when he entered the Army he had to know what he was getting himself into, if they made an exception here, then people would start trying to get out for everything.

 

There's no question he knew what he was getting into. However, I'm sure he knew that if he were good enough, the Army would allow him to enter the draft as that was their policy at the time. The Department of Defense shouldn't have singled him out and made their new policy retroactive to prior to the draft. They should have just said from here on out, no-one is eligible for the draft until after they serve.

There's no question he knew what he was getting into. However, I'm sure he knew that if he were good enough, the Army would allow him to enter the draft as that was their policy at the time. The Department of Defense shouldn't have singled him out and made their new policy retroactive to prior to the draft. They should have just said from here on out, no-one is eligible for the draft until after they serve.

 

Good point, now that I see both sides I would think either decsion would have been a good one.

OK......let me take a deep breath here. After serving "my country," and reading the cbs article and comments the only problem I have is the "changing of heart," by the DoD. 2dLt Campbell obviously knew his obligation but to tell the guy it's ok to pursue the NFL and then you could be a recruiter for the Army and then to reverse it, IMO, the DoD dropped the ball on this one. Now as I stated before, I have served before and have seen the good and the bad of military life. I loved serving and have no regrets about it. I met some of the greatest people(in my eyes) and seen a lot of places I would've never seen but the downside to my stint in the military was the "politics." To me, this is strictly political. It sounds as if a "higher up" got wind of this and "couldn't let it happen on his watch." To me, IMHO, this is very sad for the Government and the image of the DoD. Now we wonder why things are so crazy in this great country. When one or more people have too much power, this is what happens....just sad to see the DoD look so bad on this one, when it could've been a great thing for all involved. How sad!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.