Should the U.S. Government change the speed limit to...

ScarHeel

Should the U.S. Government change the speed limit to 55 mph to conserve fuel?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the U.S. Government change the speed limit to 55 mph to conserve fuel?

Why can't the 18 wheeler slow down? Why can't the 18 wheeler get in the middle lane and pass? 70 miles an hour is the maximum speed limit...why would a 18 wheeler doing the maximum legal speed be in the slow lane?
Because they are supposed to stay in the left lane except to pass. Clogging the slow lane with cars crusing at 55 mph means more lane shifts for the big trucks. Also, in most areas if there are three lanes, 18 wheelers are barred from using the fast lane. Nothing ticks off a trucker quicker than cars clogging the middle lane to avoid cars merging and the slow pokes who drive 55 in the left lane.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think it's okay to do 15 over, but not 15 under?

I don't drive with the flow of traffic anymore. The flow of traffic is still at around 75-80 at least no matter where I'm at. I do 70, sometimes 65. I get my doors blown off. Should I break the law then? Since I might be a hazard to those speeders? I don't think so....not with gas as high as it is and not since I have to drive a long way to and from work every day.

Actually, I agreed with True blue (and gold) when he said that those people were breaking the law. Never once did I say it was okay to do 15 over. If you want to drive 15 under, be my guest. I'll drive 70, and you'll be the one with people riding your bumper every time you're on the expressway.

Because they are supposed to stay in the left lane except to pass. Clogging the slow lane with cars crusing at 55 mph means more lane shifts for the big trucks. Also, in most areas if there are three lanes, 18 wheelers are barred from using the fast lane. Nothing ticks off a trucker quicker than cars clogging the middle lane to avoid cars merging and the slow pokes who drive 55 in the left lane.

I never said anything about clogging the middle lane. If someone is doing 55 in the middle lane they're stupid. If they are in the slow lane they have every right IMO. I've seen plenty of people poking along in the slow lane. It's not that hard to go around. It's a lot worse when an idiot doing 85-90 comes up behind you, rides your bumper and then cuts over in the right lane before you can even have a chance to get over.

If a 55 MPH causes someone to wreck it's because that someone wasn't paying enough attention or being careful enough.

Actually, I agreed with True blue (and gold) when he said that those people were breaking the law. Never once did I say it was okay to do 15 over. If you want to drive 15 under, be my guest. I'll drive 70, and you'll be the one with people riding your bumper every time you're on the expressway.

I never said I drive 15 under. I said I do 65-70. Any MPH over 60 is worse gas mileage.

It's a lot worse when an idiot doing 85-90 comes up behind you, rides your bumper and then cuts over in the right lane before you can even have a chance to get over.

:lol: Regardless of the speed, the person going faster is still going 15-20 mph faster than the person they're passing. 85/70 and 70/55 provide the same effect, just at different speeds.

:lol: Regardless of the speed, the person going faster is still going 15-20 mph faster than the person they're passing. 85/70 and 70/55 provide the same effect, just at different speeds.

Difference is someone going 85 is breaking the law and probably more likely to wreck IMO.

U.S. Government has no control over mph issues. That is a state issue.

Even if the state did this, it still becomes an enforcement issue, just like handling mph today on the highways.

Actually, the federal government does have control over speeding limits set by the state. As in, the state is free to set a speed limit and if the feds don't like it they threaten to withhold federal highway funding. It happened to Nevada back in the 80's, I think. It's the same way they encouraged\forced states to raise the legal drinking age to 21 years.

I never said anything about clogging the middle lane. If someone is doing 55 in the middle lane they're stupid. If they are in the slow lane they have every right IMO. I've seen plenty of people poking along in the slow lane. It's not that hard to go around. It's a lot worse when an idiot doing 85-90 comes up behind you, rides your bumper and then cuts over in the right lane before you can even have a chance to get over.

If a 55 MPH causes someone to wreck it's because that someone wasn't paying enough attention or being careful enough.

I just recently finished a 2,500 mile roadtrip across the Southeast, and guess what? This country is full of stuip idiots that own cars.