Should the U.S. Government change the speed limit to...

ScarHeel

Should the U.S. Government change the speed limit to 55 mph to conserve fuel?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should the U.S. Government change the speed limit to 55 mph to conserve fuel?

If you drive 15 under the speed limit on the interstate, it's stupid. You're asking for an accident to occur. If they want to save gas, take the back roads and coast all you want. And driving 55 is just as dangerous as driving 85 on the interstate, IMO.

I disagree. Slow cars can stay in the slow lane and not cause any problems. I do 70 MPH these days, maximum and I have no problems what so ever. Actually today I drove 65 and still had no problems. When I got to a slower car, I went around.

Driving 85 on the interstate is stupid IMO. While slow drivers can be annoying, they are not causing any danger as long as they are in the slow lane imo. If they are driving 55 in the fast lane, then yes, they are causing problems.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Slow cars can stay in the slow lane and not cause any problems. I do 70 MPH these days, maximum and I have no problems what so ever. Actually today I drove 65 and still had no problems. When I got to a slower car, I went around.

Driving 85 on the interstate is stupid IMO. While slow drivers can be annoying, they are not causing any danger as long as they are in the slow lane imo. If they are driving 55 in the fast lane, then yes, they are causing problems.

You're telling me a car in the slow lane going 55 in traffic with an 18-wheeler behind it going 70 isn't a dangerous situation?

I think before we have a 55 mph speed limit, we should ban all Hummers and SUV's and huge trucks anything on the road that gets less than, say, 30 mpg highway.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that would eliminate about 65-75% of cars. :lol:

I think before we have a 55 mph speed limit, we should ban all Hummers and SUV's and huge trucks anything on the road that gets less than, say, 30 mpg highway.

Now, you want government sanctions on what cars we can own. Unreal.

You're telling me a car in the slow lane going 55 in traffic with an 18-wheeler behind it going 70 isn't a dangerous situation?

Why can't the 18 wheeler slow down? Why can't the 18 wheeler get in the middle lane and pass? 70 miles an hour is the maximum speed limit...why would a 18 wheeler doing the maximum legal speed be in the slow lane?

Why can't the 18 wheeler slow down? Why can't the 18 wheeler get in the middle lane and pass? 70 miles an hour is the maximum speed limit...why would a 18 wheeler doing the maximum legal speed be in the slow lane?

Because 85% of the cars on the interstate are speeding, thus going faster than 70 mph.....

Because 85% of the cars on the interstate are speeding, thus going faster than 70 mph.....

Then 85% of the drivers are breaking the law, plain and simple.

Yes, I sometimes drive over the speed limit. However, I realize that I am breaking the law and don't expect those that are abiding by the law to accommodate me.

Then 85% of the drivers are breaking the law, plain and simple.

I agree 100%. My point is that with the way the majority of people drive, going 15 under the speed limit on the interstate is just as hazardous as going 15 over. You have to drive with the flow of traffic. JMO...

Now, you want government sanctions on what cars we can own. Unreal.

Actually, no. Just as I would certainly not want the government to decide to lower the speed limit to 55.

To me, it would be just as ridiculous to impose that slow speed limit as it would be to tell the gas guzzlers that they had to give up their gas guzzlers. What difference in gas mileage would that speed limit make on those big vehicles? Not much, I would guess.

Hmmmm. The best an H3 gets is 18 mpg highway. Wonder how much a 55 speed limit would improve that number?

So you think it's okay to do 15 over, but not 15 under?

I don't drive with the flow of traffic anymore. The flow of traffic is still at around 75-80 at least no matter where I'm at. I do 70, sometimes 65. I get my doors blown off. Should I break the law then? Since I might be a hazard to those speeders? I don't think so....not with gas as high as it is and not since I have to drive a long way to and from work every day.