Tubby Smith speaks out against 8th Grade Recruitment

GO CATS

It is a real shame that some of you do not understand that Tubby is not as bad a recruiter as many would love to believe! Actually a very good recruiter!

If you are smart enough to remove the hatred and bias against Tubby you will see that the statement is spot on and very truthful.

It is a real shame that some of you do not understand that Tubby is not as bad a recruiter as many would love to believe! Actually a very good recruiter!

If you are smart enough to remove the hatred and bias against Tubby you will see that the statement is spot on and very truthful.

I have zero beef with Tubby. The truth is he is a decent recruiter that simply had no desire to change as recruiting changed.

There is zero need for legislation on this recent blip on the radar screen. It will correct itself when it proves to be the bad idea that it already is now...

I agree with Tubby on this, recruiting jr. hig kids imo is just crazy. This is not good for the kid and in no way is binding for the school (I don't think). Should anyone wonder about it just take a look at what happened with what turned into the Circus known as O.J. Mayo. I singled that one out bc I live in the Ashland. ky. area where Mayo played at Rose Hill in Jr. High. He came here fro Huntington, W.Va, went to Ohio, was going to Va. but the Oak Hill Acadamey coach wanted no part of the circus, he then goes back to W.Va then to USC. Will he be a very rich kid in a few days?.....Yes. Was that a normal childhood and h.s. carrer...No. Tubby is right recruiting starts way too early and im it leads to ths kind of thing that I describe briefly with Mayo.

AAU basketball, more like a lot of the AAU leeches that call themselves coaches imo are to blame for this kind of thing as well.

I don't think UM gave him much of a choice in that one, other than Saul. When he lobbied for Hanson for the Murray State job and he didn't get an interview, it should have been a red flag.

He took one of the student manager/grad assistants with him.

Reggie was too busy hunting the ladies.

I agree with Tubby on this, recruiting jr. hig kids imo is just crazy. This is not good for the kid and in no way is binding for the school (I don't think). Should anyone wonder about it just take a look at what happened with what turned into the Circus known as O.J. Mayo. I singled that one out bc I live in the Ashland. ky. area where Mayo played at Rose Hill in Jr. High. He came here fro Huntington, W.Va, went to Ohio, was going to Va. but the Oak Hill Acadamey coach wanted no part of the circus, he then goes back to W.Va then to USC. Will he be a very rich kid in a few days?.....Yes. Was that a normal childhood and h.s. carrer...No. Tubby is right recruiting starts way too early and im it leads to ths kind of thing that I describe briefly with Mayo.

AAU basketball, more like a lot of the AAU leeches that call themselves coaches imo are to blame for this kind of thing as well.

I disagree pretty much completely here. Sure there are some shady AAU coaches out there, but how are they worse than the program that offers a junior high kid?

If the kid is that good, the "slimy" AAU coach benefits more from drawing it out to force the hand of the highest bidder...

There is a "too young" point in taking a kid, but the problem is it's a sliding scale of unmeasurable nature...

This is true, and I know that which I should have put in my post. But there are instance where kids are starting for their varsity teams at 7th and 8th grade (Mayo was one) and I think if a postive relationship can be built then...why not?