Scott Co. wins AAU state tournament

Euton shined in the King of the Bluegrass, the Nissan Shootout, the All A Regional and State tourneys for Rose Hill the past two seasons as a freshman and a sophomore. Last week, he had 20 rebounds and 24 points vs. South Laurel. 15 rebounds and 23 points vs. Franklin County and 14 rebounds and 18 points vs. Jeffersontown. I don’t know what kind of numbers you consider decent, but those are pretty good in my book. I realize of course that none of these teams can hold a candle to Holmes in your eyes, but Euton is far more effective than you give him credit for being. And FWIW, he is still growing, maybe not so much up as across. He grew so fast from 0 to 16, that his muscles are just now getting to catch up with his bones. As he gets stronger, he becomes more mobile. There’s not a harder working kid in the state. I have all the confidence in the world in this young man, and look forward to watching him prove you wrong in Wildcat blue. :lol:

In the KOB, Euton went for 8 points against Manual in Rose Hill's 30 point loss. Jenkins, who was checked by Euton, went for 18 points in less than 2 quarters. Manual called the starters off after 17 minutes of play. Jackson played nearly the entire game and finished with 22 or 24. They had no one else to bring the ball up the court, Jackson was a necessity.

Euton will get better. He works too hard not to improve.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Euton shined in the King of the Bluegrass, the Nissan Shootout, the All A Regional and State tourneys for Rose Hill the past two seasons as a freshman and a sophomore. Last week, he had 20 rebounds and 24 points vs. South Laurel. 15 rebounds and 23 points vs. Franklin County and 14 rebounds and 18 points vs. Jeffersontown. I don’t know what kind of numbers you consider decent, but those are pretty good in my book. I realize of course that none of these teams can hold a candle to Holmes in your eyes, but Euton is far more effective than you give him credit for being. And FWIW, he is still growing, maybe not so much up as across. He grew so fast from 0 to 16, that his muscles are just now getting to catch up with his bones. As he gets stronger, he becomes more mobile. There’s not a harder working kid in the state. I have all the confidence in the world in this young man, and look forward to watching him prove you wrong in Wildcat blue. :lol:

Euton has also always been much bigger than his opponents and throw in the fact that he plays with Chad Jackson doesn't hurt, as teams are unable to key on him. Don't get me wrong the kid is good but I just feel he is overrated and gets hyped up too much. I honestly don't see him being an impact player at UK. Just doesn't seem very athletic. He is a good D1 prospect but not all world like some make it out to be. IF he is eligible he'll get a chance to prove me wrong December 14th at NKU when they play Holmes.

As far as Holmes goes, you need to look at my location. I've never once said Holmes was the best team in the state either and in many polls I have them as the second or third best team behind SC (a Full roster SC) and either GRC or J'town. Holmes will be one of the top teams in the state though and have 3 legitimate D1 guards in Housley (6'3), Pittman (6'6), and R. Johnson (6'5). The only thing that team is missing though is a legitimate big man.

In the KOB, Euton went for 8 points against Manual in Rose Hill's 30 point loss. Jenkins, who was checked by Euton, went for 18 points in less than 2 quarters. Manual called the starters off after 17 minutes of play. Jackson played nearly the entire game and finished with 22 or 24. They had no one else to bring the ball up the court, Jackson was a necessity.

Euton will get better. He works too hard not to improve.

Anybody can cherry pick and pull out the best or worst games in a player's career to try to prove a point. I'd rather look at the whole picture.

Dakotah is on the King of the Bluegrass All-Time Leading Scorers list for his performance in the 2006 event as a freshman.

http://www.kingofthebluegrass.com/leading-scorers.pdf

The interesting thing is, he's only five points behind Chris Lofton in 2002, and ahead of such names as: Felton Spencer, Reggie Williams, Derek Anderson, Allan Houston, Larry O’Bannon, Rex Chapman and another NBA draftee from Rose Hill named O.J. Mayo... of course Mayo was only an 8th grader at the time... :lol:

I haven't seen anyone claim he's "All World" but I think his numbers speak for themselves.

IMO, Euton will prove his naysayers to be less than the experts they seem to think they are... and he'll do it with the quiet dignity and hard work that's gotten him this far. :thumb:

Anybody can cherry pick and pull out the best or worst games in a player's career to try to prove a point. I'd rather look at the whole picture.

Dakotah is on the King of the Bluegrass All-Time Leading Scorers list for his performance in the 2006 event as a freshman.

The interesting thing is, he's only five points behind Chris Lofton in 2002, and ahead of such names as: Felton Spencer, Reggie Williams, Derek Anderson, Allan Houston, Larry O’Bannon, Rex Chapman and another NBA draftee from Rose Hill named O.J. Mayo... of course Mayo was only an 8th grader at the time... :lol:

I haven't seen anyone claim he's "All World" but I think his numbers speak for themselves.

IMO, Euton will prove his naysayers to be less than the experts they seem to think they are... and he'll do it with the quiet dignity and hard work that's gotten him this far. :thumb:

Very well put. As I stated before, he works too hard not to improve on every area of his game.

I personally think Euton is overrated. He shined playing in a weak 16th region and has played so well because he's normally the biggest kid on the floor. He isn't athletic or quick enough to play at UK IMO. And to be honest I don't see him getting any bigger over the next few years either.
I don’t know if you’re old enough to be a parent or not, but if anyone said the things about your child that you’ve said about Dakotah Euton, you wouldn't like it too much.

If you wouldn’t want somebody saying that about your child, why would you say it about someone else’s child… even if he is 6’ 8” and 230 pounds?

As far as predicting that a kid doesn’t have what it takes to play at UK… being negative and predicting NO is the safe bet by such astronomical odds, it’s doesn’t even count as a legitimate prediction.

• There are 4,206,074 people in Kentucky.
  • There are 1,001,046 kids under 18 in Kentucky.
  • There are about 58,885 kids per grade level in Kentucky.
  • 51% are female. 49% are male.
  • That means there are 28,854 boys per grade level in Kentucky.
  • UK has 16 boys on their roster, with only 3 from Kentucky.

So, on average only about one kid per graduating class earns a shot at playing for the Wildcats…

1 chance in about 30,000.

The real risk is taken by the person willing to say, “I think Euton will earn a scholarship at UK and contribute to the team’s success.”

I’ll take that one-in-30,000 chance.

I don’t know if you’re old enough to be a parent or not, but if anyone said the things about your child that you’ve said about Dakotah Euton, you wouldn't like it too much.

If you wouldn’t want somebody saying that about your child, why would you say it about someone else’s child… even if he is 6’ 8” and 230 pounds?

As far as predicting that a kid doesn’t have what it takes to play at UK… being negative and predicting NO is the safe bet by such astronomical odds, it’s doesn’t even count as a legitimate prediction.

• There are 4,206,074 people in Kentucky.
  • There are 1,001,046 kids under 18 in Kentucky.
  • There are about 58,885 kids per grade level in Kentucky.
  • 51% are female. 49% are male.
  • That means there are 28,854 boys per grade level in Kentucky.
  • UK has 16 boys on their roster, with only 3 from Kentucky.

So, on average only about one kid per graduating class earns a shot at playing for the Wildcats…

1 chance in about 30,000.

The real risk is taken by the person willing to say, “I think Euton will earn a scholarship at UK and contribute to the team’s success.”

I’ll take that one-in-30,000 chance.

The number crunching is phenomenal.lol Great post

I never said anything disrespectful about the kid. I simply stated MY OPINION and evaluation on a kid who I've seen several times. I said the kid is good, but not good enough to be a CONTRIBUTOR at UK, and I'm not the only one who has said this in this particular thread so why only point out my post? You have your opinion and I have mine.

Also Euton isn't 6'8...he may be listed at that but Phares is listed at 6'7 and Euton is a little smaller.

I'm not the only one who has said this in this particular thread so why only point out my post?
You're right, you aren't the only poster who's said bad things about a genuinely good and decent kid, but why be so negative toward a kid who's only guilty of working his butt off to be the best he can be... whether anyone thinks that's good enough or not? If more kids had the focus and work ethic this kid does, we'd be a much greater country than we are today.

The odds are so stacked against any child in Kentucky actually accomplishing what Euton is attempting to do, I would think that people would be cheering him on and encouraging him... not pointing out his flaws, and positioning to crow should he ever fail.

"I told you he couldn't do it. Read my post from 2008... see, I said he'd fail."

I'd rather be the guy that believed a kid could do what seemed impossible.

Edited by The Mole

I have stated my opinion on the subject and will leave it at that. Euton is a very good high school ball player and I wish him the best.

I do think it is really crazy with college coaches making scholarship offers to kids as young as 8th graders. What if a kid does not pan out as a coach projects? It will come back to bite some of the coaches that are making these premature offers.

I predict that at some point the NCAA will put in recruiting rules that prevent these early offers.

You're right, you aren't the only poster who's said bad things about a genuinely good and decent kid, but why be so negative toward a kid who's only guilty of working his butt off to be the best he can be... whether anyone thinks that's good enough or not? If more kids had the focus and work ethic this kid does, we'd be a much greater country than we are today.

The odds are so stacked against any child in Kentucky actually accomplishing what Euton is attempting to do, I would think that people would be cheering him on and encouraging him... not pointing out his flaws, and positioning to crow should he ever fail.

"I told you he couldn't do it. Read my post from 2008... see, I said he'd fail."

I'd rather be the guy that believed a kid could do what seemed impossible.

How is using constructive criticism saying bad things about the kid? I've said all along the kid is good...really good. IMO though, key words being MY OPINION, he is a good high school player but isn't going to be good enough to play at UK. If he proves me wrong, more power to him for working his tail off. But at this point, I just feel he gets overhyped a little too much. Let's see how he performs the next two years before we say this kid is all this and all that.

Also who is to say other kids don't work just as hard as him? To say he is one of the hardest working kids in the state, may be true, but not fair to the hard work that all of the other kids put in throughout the year.

And as I said before, I just question his FAMILY"S motives when it comes to basketball. Sure they want the best possible situation for their son, but if you know some of the inside things that I do, you'd say they aren't going about it the right way either.

How is using constructive criticism saying bad things about the kid? I've said all along the kid is good...really good. IMO though, key words being MY OPINION, he is a good high school player but isn't going to be good enough to play at UK. If he proves me wrong, more power to him for working his tail off. But at this point, I just feel he gets overhyped a little too much. Let's see how he performs the next two years before we say this kid is all this and all that.

Also who is to say other kids don't work just as hard as him? To say he is one of the hardest working kids in the state, may be true, but not fair to the hard work that all of the other kids put in throughout the year.

And as I said before, I just question his FAMILY"S motives when it comes to basketball. Sure they want the best possible situation for their son, but if you know some of the inside things that I do, you'd say they aren't going about it the right way either.

Haven't seen much that's been constructive.

I just have a feeling had this move gone to Northern Ky and he enrolled at Holmes, you'd be whistling a much different tune.

Hey, I'm All World !!! Read my BGP Status. :jump:

I like Euton's game and I am hoping he works hard and will help the Wildcats get back in the mix for an NCAA championship. I personally think it would be cool to see the Scott Co team play with those guys but only against National teams. Playing in-state teams with that kind of loaded lineup doesnt make sense and would be a cakewalk.

I like Euton's game and I am hoping he works hard and will help the Wildcats get back in the mix for an NCAA championship. I personally think it would be cool to see the Scott Co team play with those guys but only against National teams. Playing in-state teams with that kind of loaded lineup doesnt make sense and would be a cakewalk.

Not according to Eta Rho.:p

...at this point, I just feel he gets overhyped a little too much. Let's see how he performs the next two years before we say this kid is all this and all that.
So...

• It's okay to point out all the reasons a junior to be isn't a major D-1 college athlete just yet, and express doubt that he ever will measure up,
  • But, it's not acceptable to make positive statements about his prospects until we see how he performs for two more years?

• We are not talking about all the other kids.
  • I have yet to make one negative comment toward any child on BGP.
  • I did not say "he works harder than any other kid in the state."
  • If I can't complement one kid without complementing all the kids, how can you hammer one kid without... nevermind, you can't see it?

• Why pick on the kid, when it sounds like your problem is with the parents?
  • If you have solid information, it sounds to me like you need to speak with the KHSAA, not air your differences here.

Not the case in Frankfort this past weekend. Scott County made the plays they needed in the end of two games to win, but one bounce the wrong way and they could have lost either to Franklin County or J-Town. This is certainly a strong team, but their feet the ground like everyone else's.