Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Big "O' on Mayo...

Featured Replies

He hates pretty much everything...

 

Good point, but he really hates AAU and the one and done rule.

Just saw on Jim Rome is burning where Robertson said something to this extent:

 

"If Mayo did accept anything it's not hs fault. When you have a kid travelling around playing AAU people are going to try and influence him. Also the "one and done" rule probably contributes something to it considering he knows he will be out of college and not have to worry about it.I'm surprised we don't hear about more kids doing this."

 

Now that's not a direct quote put pretty close summary of what he said. What doesn everyone think?

 

First: I agree w/ the Oscar. However, I would like to add this. I've never understood how the school can make so much money off of a kid's jersey and the kid not get anymore than his scholarship out of it.

 

Second: I'm very surprised that Oscar said anything positive about a present day player.

Money is the root of all evil. Yeah if people present stuff to kids (money, cars, homes for parents) then they will probably accept, I know I would as well as most people on this site would.

 

You make a good point; however, the scripture is "For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil..." found in I Tim. 6:10. Granted, there're a lot of greedy people in this world, but, thank goodness, there are still a few who don't let money be their god.

Money is the root of all evil. Yeah if people present stuff to kids (money, cars, homes for parents) then they will probably accept, I know I would as well as most people on this site would.

 

You can add me to that list.... It's a dumb rule they made anyway, so it's no surprise and really nothing wrong with it.

You can add me to that list.... It's a dumb rule they made anyway, so it's no surprise and really nothing wrong with it.

 

If you are saying there is nothing wrong with amateurs accepting money, then I have a major problem with your ideals. This would bring about the destruction of all amateur sports, not just the NCAA. If you are saying that this alone does not show the kid has a major character flaw, I totally agree!

Let's see....Him being offered anything is not his fault. Him ACCEPTING anything is 100% his fault. Maybe OJ needs to learn the word "NO"

:thumb:

If you are saying there is nothing wrong with amateurs accepting money, then I have a major problem with your ideals. This would bring about the destruction of all amateur sports, not just the NCAA. If you are saying that this alone does not show the kid has a major character flaw, I totally agree!

 

Lol really?.... 'cause they've been doing it for years, and amazingly we still have amateur sports.

Lol really?.... 'cause they've been doing it for years, and amazingly we still have amateur sports.

 

People have been murdering others for years also, but to accept it as the norm and not prosecute it, would have serious consequences.

He hates AAU and the one and done rule. He's not alone w/ that.

 

:thumb:Count me in on that one.

Let's see....Him being offered anything is not his fault. Him ACCEPTING anything is 100% his fault. Maybe OJ needs to learn the word "NO"

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

People have been murdering others for years also, but to accept it as the norm and not prosecute it, would have serious consequences.

 

Oh no, of course they have to prosecute it... but it's just not a big deal. They can't do anything to OJ, he's done with college he's going to make millions next year. My point was this just isn't a big deal at all like it was made out to be in the media. Murdering people and players who should have never been playing college basketball accepting food, and a flat screen, and money aren't even close.

:ylsuper:The Big O does seem to be a very bitter and an angry sort of guy. Why is that? Does anyone really know? I know he feels slighted in alot of ways and that he may have been blackballed from TV for his view but it seems with time he may have mellowed by now but whenever he speaks you still hear all of this negativity. Too bad because he is still one of the 2 or 3 best players that I ever witnessed playing the game.

 

Wasn't he a pretty grumpy old guy back when he played? Very media unfriendly?

Oh no, of course they have to prosecute it... but it's just not a big deal. They can't do anything to OJ, he's done with college he's going to make millions next year. My point was this just isn't a big deal at all like it was made out to be in the media. Murdering people and players who should have never been playing college basketball accepting food, and a flat screen, and money aren't even close.

 

I believe I understand now what you're saying, and it's not a big deal what the consequences will be. I believe that it shows what type of reform needs to be put in place to protect the sanctity of collegiate sports, however. If we conceed that this is the norm and there is nothing done wrong here, you can see what this leads to.........

To say that you would not take what OJ was supposedly offered is like saying you'd never waste any money you won in the Super Lotto. You haven't walked in those shoes yet so its all speculation (and probably incorrect).

If you are saying there is nothing wrong with amateurs accepting money, then I have a major problem with your ideals. This would bring about the destruction of all amateur sports, not just the NCAA. If you are saying that this alone does not show the kid has a major character flaw, I totally agree!

 

Its not a character flaw, it's the way of the world...I got to gets mine!!!

 

Economics + Globalization = O.J.

 

Nobody passes up a free-be especially when there are no consequences to be suffered.

 

Is the school going to pass up on all the money earned because of his signing a scholarship there? Nope!

 

Would anyone in there right mind pass up free money nowadays, as long as no criminal laws are being broke?

 

Leave O.J. the hell alone, the kid did what any grown man on this site would have done right now if given the same situation. The only difference is no grown man on this site has been in that situation, so who are we to judge?

 

But let's make it right...instead of jacking up tuition every year on all students, let's take that university money & give student/athletes who produce on the court/classroom and sales market a paycheck or the right to a decent paying job. Let's be fair and diplomatic about this thing we call amateur sports that is just as much capitalistic as any big business in the U.S.

 

As a matter of fact, let's give them a percentage of the gate because they brought the gate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.